Longer threads okay (over xx.xxx posts)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThorstenA
    • Nov 2004
    • 4.0.x

Longer threads okay (over xx.xxx posts)?

Hi there,

I have several threads having more than 10.000 posts, could it really slow down my forum?
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

A few large threads won't slow down your forum.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• ThorstenA
      • Nov 2004
      • 4.0.x

Thanks. I just was not so sure as I heard anywhere in this forum that it could theoretically slow down things.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

I've had 50,000 post threads bring servers to their knees, its alot of calculating, not sure if this was improved any in 3.5/6.

Comment

• Raz Meister
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Zachery
          I've had 50,000 post threads bring servers to their knees, its alot of calculating, not sure if this was improved any in 3.5/6.
          We used to have the same problem.

The problem with the way vB displays pages with large posts is that it will order all the posts in that thread within MySQL. So if you have 50k posts in a thread, MySQL will fetch all 50k posts and then begin to order them everytime you request a page, which becomes taxing on a busy forum.

To reduce the load on our forums, I optimized the posts table by adding a "page" column (and rewriting several files), so even if a thread has 100k posts, MySQL will only fetch 30 posts to display a page.

This optimization brought load times for our larger threads from several seconds to several milliseconds.
          Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Vtec44
            • Jan 2005
            • 3.7.x

I'm on a shared server, and have 3 threads that are over 10k posts. So far so good
            So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• wii
              • Sep 2000
              • 3.8.x

20.000 posts on a few threads on a shared server, no problems at all.

Comment

• woodysfj40
                • May 2004
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Raz Meister
                We used to have the same problem.

The problem with the way vB displays pages with large posts is that it will order all the posts in that thread within MySQL. So if you have 50k posts in a thread, MySQL will fetch all 50k posts and then begin to order them everytime you request a page, which becomes taxing on a busy forum.

To reduce the load on our forums, I optimized the posts table by adding a "page" column (and rewriting several files), so even if a thread has 100k posts, MySQL will only fetch 30 posts to display a page.

This optimization brought load times for our larger threads from several seconds to several milliseconds.
                sounds like an excellent hack...something you can share? or is it already posted at vBulletin.org?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...