Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dilbert
    • Oct 2004

Kids online safety

Do you have kids? If so, do you have software installed to protect them while online?

My 13 year old son has done a little suspicious surfing lately.

I'd like something that works well to block adult content, and also allows me to control when and how long he can use the computer.

Looking for good and bad experiences.

Thanks, Cliff
    Cliff
    PathLabTalk
    Square Wheels Cycling
  • Martin
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.5.x

Google is always a good place to start

There are tons of filters out there, each a little different from the others. I'm not sure about free ones, though. Most seem to be on a subscription basis.
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

• JakeS
      • Jul 2005

omg, why? i think all that spying on your kids is wrong, because i know software if you realy want it that will even give you the passwords they type and everything they do.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ~Biker~
        omg, why? i think all that spying on your kids is wrong, because i know software if you realy want it that will even give you the passwords they type and everything they do.
        You will one day when you have kids.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dilbert
          If so, do you have software installed to protect them while online?
          I have found that MSN Premium fits the needs I have it providing my children a safe internet experience. It sits ontop of my current ISP and is installed on their computer. If they try to browse to a sit that isn't approved it stops them and sends me an email. I can approve it in the email if I want or I can enter my password directly into their PC to allow it. It also controls MSN and email. Finally it allows different profiles for each kid and for guests using the computer. For instance my 14 year old son has more permissions than my 10 year old daughter. Guests as well are prevented from using IM programs, downloading or storing cookies on the machine.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JakeS
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ritterz
            You will one day when you have kids.
            Who say's i'm ever going to have kids?

Comment

• Onimua
              • Apr 2005

Who say's i'm ever going to have kids?
              You're 14... you won't know until you get there.
              Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• JakeS
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Onimua
                You're 14... you won't know until you get there.
                Don't worry i'v done it but thats not the point i sures heck am not going to have kids that's the last thing on my list.

also this is what i was on about:

This website is for sale! iambigbrother.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, iambigbrother.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

it was on my pc once, it didn't last long
                Last edited by JakeS; Fri 2 Jun '06, 3:05pm. Reason: Added Link.

Comment

• Creepshow
                  • May 2005
                  • 3.5.x

Yeah, I don't want kids either. I don't really like them, truth be told.
                  "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                    • Oct 2002
                    • 3.7.x

... out of the mouths of babes eh!!!
                    John

Comment

• Mainer82
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 1.1.x

Don't worry i'v done it but thats not the point i sures heck am not going to have kids that's the last thing on my list.

also this is what i was on about:

This website is for sale! iambigbrother.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, iambigbrother.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

it was on my pc once, it didn't last long
                      You do realize one can lock down a machine better than whoever did for this instance you're bragging about, right?

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      I have found that MSN Premium fits the needs I have it providing my children a safe internet experience. It sits ontop of my current ISP and is installed on their computer. If they try to browse to a sit that isn't approved it stops them and sends me an email. I can approve it in the email if I want or I can enter my password directly into their PC to allow it. It also controls MSN and email. Finally it allows different profiles for each kid and for guests using the computer. For instance my 14 year old son has more permissions than my 10 year old daughter. Guests as well are prevented from using IM programs, downloading or storing cookies on the machine.
                      I agree, MSN Premium is the way to go if you are looking for parental controls.

Comment

• Steve F
                        • May 2005
                        • 3.5.x

i know software if you realy want it that will even give you the passwords they type
                        Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        I can approve it in the email if I want or I can enter my password directly into their PC to allow it.
                        If the emails / requests stop then you'll know they have your password.

Comment

• Creepshow
                          • May 2005
                          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
                          ... out of the mouths of babes eh!!!
                          What?
                          "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• dilbert
                            • Oct 2004

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a discussion like this, I was just looking to see what others have tried and liked / disliked. I know I can Google, I was looking for real users and their opinions.
                            Cliff
                            PathLabTalk
                            Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• Mainer82
                              • Apr 2003
                              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by dilbert
                              Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a discussion like this, I was just looking to see what others have tried and liked / disliked. I know I can Google, I was looking for real users and their opinions.
                              I hope that what Wayne and I suggested helps you out in some way. You should give MSN Premium a try.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...