Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Originally posted by filburt1
    That's the biggest difference between the two. Windows tries to help you along with everything as if you're an idiot (no s**t the network cable is unplugged, I just unplugged it). Mac OS X just stays out of your way and lets you do whatever it is you're doing, and easily and efficiently.
    All my usb stuff for Windows are for windows xp, but they all require updated drivers, or a cd with stuff, or whatever.

All the usb stuff for my windows pc .... i just plug them in to the mac and not even a second later it already works. And I am talking printer, scanner, tablet, wireless mouse/keyboard, ipod, digital camera, etc. And not just 'this is a HP product', no .. the exact correct numbers and everything. No problems, all the options, and integrates just fine with photoshop and everything else.

And on the windows if you change usb port .. you're lucky if you don't loose the connection to the hardware or don't get driver issue reports or requests to install it again.

And what I especially like are the simple ways of doing things.

If you want to change a network setting on the windows, you have to know where to look; you have to find it and walk a path to get there and go through various right clicks or dialog screens and advanced buttons for more popups. On the mac you just go to the system pref icon and click on network, the same window updates, and then change your setting, and you're done. No buttons, no new windows, just clean and simple- and the same result; and instant. No reboot required either.

And yes, it is strange going from windows to mac, but after a few minutes you already go 'oh, it works like that.. so easy'... it's a matter of getting used to. A day later you do everything so much smoother and quicker already. Innovating way of using the GUI .. in my eyes: the right way.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Floris
      I disagree.
      Now its just a falvor of linux/bsd that costs.

Comment

• daemon
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Zachery
        Now its just a falvor of linux/bsd that costs.
        Except it has a usable interface that's meant for a desktop environment and home users (though a power user can easily find him- or herself at home). I run FreeBSD as my server OS, but I would not consider it for a desktop.

You're argument is based on the fact that the hardware is what makes a mac, but most mac users will tell you that the software is what sets the computer apart: the hardware just defines the parameters it works in--switching to Intel chips allowed those parameters to be expanded.
        Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

A Mac was a MAc for the longest time, not only because of the software but also the hardware. Now that the hardware is gone, its not what it used to be.

Comment

• Kathy
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

A Mac was a MAc for the longest time, not only because of the software but also the hardware. Now that the hardware is gone, its not what it used to be.
            The hardware is gone?

The mac hardware is still the coolest looking hardware anywhere. It still turns heads when someone pulls out an ibook, a powerbook or a mac mini....

I think you are just looking for reasons to disagree....when there are really none substantial...just a personal preference (which is fine!).

But the new apple commercials are quite entertaining...and charming. Leave it to apple...
            Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

The hardware is gone is because it can't handle todays software/requirements. Intel cpu's fix that.. it's still an apple. Just a different cpu. The ability soon to run native .exe files on the mac is just a plus. It doesn't mean it'is not a mac. You can still use it and not know it's an intel powered one..

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kathy
                The hardware is gone?

The mac hardware is still the coolest looking hardware anywhere. It still turns heads when someone pulls out an ibook, a powerbook or a mac mini....

I think you are just looking for reasons to disagree....when there are really none substantial...just a personal preference (which is fine!).

But the new apple commercials are quite entertaining...and charming. Leave it to apple...
                Thats just the outter casing, it no longer runs on the PPC processor type.

Comment

• Cromulent
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Eh, what about when they used the 68k chips and then switched to PPC chips did they cease to be macs simply because they used a CPU from IBM and Motorola instead of just a Motorola CPU?

The CPU dosen't make a computer, the OS does. This is shown time and again with the Linux / Windows argument. They can both run on the same hardware but the difference in stability is amazing.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cromulent
                    Eh, what about when they used the 68k chips and then switched to PPC chips did they cease to be macs simply because they used a CPU from IBM and Motorola instead of just a Motorola CPU?

The CPU dosen't make a computer, the OS does. This is shown time and again with the Linux / Windows argument. They can both run on the same hardware but the difference in stability is amazing.
                    You mean the non exsistant difference in stability?

Comment

• chrispadfield
                      • Aug 2000

Why do you think the CPU matters in anything other than questions regarding performance, which dosen't seem to be the point you are making.

Does the brand of RAM used matter?
                      Christopher Padfield
                      Web Based Helpdesk
                      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                        Why do you think the CPU matters in anything other than questions regarding performance, which dosen't seem to be the point you are making.

Does the brand of RAM used matter?
                        To me the definition of a mac computer is one that runs on a PPC processor, as as far back as I can remember they have. A PC is a computer that runs on an x86 based processor.

Comment

• filburt1
                          • Feb 2002

A Mac is a computer that dual-boots Windows XP and Mac OS X. If the hardware wasn't triple the cost it should be, my next computer would be a Mac for that very reason.
                          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Raz Meister
                            • Jun 2001

Macs have never always run on only PPC chips.

This Wikipedia entry may help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Macintosh
                            Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• cirisme
                              • Feb 2003

To me the definition of a mac computer is one that runs on a PPC processor, as as far back as I can remember they have. A PC is a computer that runs on an x86 based processor.
                              Your definition is silly and irrelevant. They continue to make products that are different and that some people will think are better. The processor switch will only enhance that.

If you want to continue with your quaint little definition, feel free. But it's not representative of few but yourself and has no bearing on the rest of the market or the actual advantages or disadvantages with going with OS X.
                              TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• Zachery
                                Former vBulletin Support
                                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by cirisme
                                Your definition is silly and irrelevant. They continue to make products that are different and that some people will think are better. The processor switch will only enhance that.

If you want to continue with your quaint little definition, feel free. But it's not representative of few but yourself and has no bearing on the rest of the market or the actual advantages or disadvantages with going with OS X.
                                You know I do own a mac, and I'm intrested in an intel based one, I just don't believe personally that its quiet the same as it used to be.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...