X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by C_P
    Not sure anyone is predicting anything here... Nostradamus died several years ago...It seems to me there is obviously an misconception of Linux and the Linux builds around here... there is more out there than Windows people and again I ask "Really? Have you tried PCLinux?" I have compiled nothing, IF any security update is needed (which is quite rare) you download it and install it from the INCLUDED package manager (SHHhhh Linux does not require you to pay for anything you want to install). I have run a command or possibly even two. But I think most Windows users probably have run more commands than I have on PCLinux.
    BUT, hey, please go back to your defragging, cleaning your "registries" scanning for virus', running your Firewalls, and don't forget the massive adware programs, utilities to adjust Windows, and please don't forget to run your scan disk to for bad clusters cuz God knows if you have those defragging bad cluster sucking virus riddled, left over registry file and folder clean ups... BUT, don't worry, the inevitable freeze up and Windows reboot should fix that right up.
    Maybe it is a good thing there are those still using Windows, keeps the PCLinux users free of the crap that Windows and it's users bring in. pffft
    You seem a little tense there buddy. It all boils down to choice. Let it go
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by C_P
      Not sure anyone is predicting anything here... Nostradamus died several years ago...It seems to me there is obviously an misconception of Linux and the Linux builds around here... there is more out there than Windows people and again I ask "Really? Have you tried PCLinux?" I have compiled nothing, IF any security update is needed (which is quite rare) you download it and install it from the INCLUDED package manager (SHHhhh Linux does not require you to pay for anything you want to install). I have run a command or possibly even two. But I think most Windows users probably have run more commands than I have on PCLinux.
      BUT, hey, please go back to your defragging, cleaning your "registries" scanning for virus', running your Firewalls, and don't forget the massive adware programs, utilities to adjust Windows, and please don't forget to run your scan disk to for bad clusters cuz God knows if you have those defragging bad cluster sucking virus riddled, left over registry file and folder clean ups... BUT, don't worry, the inevitable freeze up and Windows reboot should fix that right up.
      Maybe it is a good thing there are those still using Windows, keeps the PCLinux users free of the crap that Windows and it's users bring in. pffft
      I don't clean my register, I don't need to, I don't run any antispy or adware programs, nor a firewall or virus scanner, I don't need third party utilities to tweak windows,. I don't get viruses (I do scan once every few months, 4 years now virus free), My drives rarely need to defrag. I've also never had a freeze up that was unexecpted (I had some overheating problems, would happen in linux as well.)

If you are having problems with windows, you should re-evaulate your usage

Comment

• KingSpade
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.5.x

If you are using Windows as your OS and you are having so many issues, as Zach said above, it really is time to re-evaluate your usage of the OS.

Unless you are one of those people I like to call "download-happy", whom download anything and everything (wallpapers, AIM programs, bots, useless junk etc), then you really shouldn't have any issues.

I run Norton Anti-Virus and that's pretty much it. I've installed AIM, Yahoo, MSN and so forth, though no spyware prevention methods or anything.

If you take the time to watch the sites you visit, watch what you're downloading and not be careless, you shouldn't really run into these issues.

Now, given, if you are a user of Windows ME, then I feel sorry for you and you probably have a good reason for having so many problems with your OS. In all honesty, I'd rather run a barebones linux installation over Windows ME. With that said, and with it known that Windows ME should have never been released, that still isn't a reason to jump board and start another *Nix is better than Windows rant.

Windows XP Home/XP Pro has served as an excellent OS for me for the past years. I've never considered another option and I too have ran with Lindows, 5-10 *Nix installations and many other OS's, however, Windows is what I've remained with.

With the popularity of the OS, with it being installed on nearly every computer that is sold and goes through a commercial door, you're going to run into a virus, hacking attempts and piracy. It's a natural thing that isn't going anywhere.

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Unless this is something else, .. it didn't take long:

Wind0ws Genuine Advantage and Notificati0ns crack (released 13 days ago)

Comment

• T.S.
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by C_P
            I am going to do an experiment this weekend.

I will download PCLinux, let my mother try to install it on a test box with minimal help from me, and see how long her and my 17 year old sister can use it before they run into something that there is no way they could do without my help. This includes getting their printer, wireless card, and 2 ipods working. If they need to VI edit any .conf file, type rpm -XhDuJdhCN blahblah-RC12-2.6.54.rpm in a command line, or chmod anything, the experiment is over.

I will post results afterwards.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by T.S.
              I am going to do an experiment this weekend.

I will download PCLinux, let my mother try to install it on a test box with minimal help from me, and see how long her and my 17 year old sister can use it before they run into something that there is no way they could do without my help. This includes getting their printer, wireless card, and 2 ipods working. If they need to VI edit any .conf file, type rpm -XhDuJdhCN blahblah-RC12-2.6.54.rpm in a command line, or chmod anything, the experiment is over.

I will post results afterwards.

Sounds interesting , cant wait to hear the results..
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Dean C
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                Sounds interesting , cant wait to hear the results..
                After having a quick browse through the wiki on their site, I think the results will be pretty conclusive
                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                  Unless this is something else, .. it didn't take long:

Wind0ws Genuine Advantage and Notificati0ns crack (released 13 days ago)
                  Yes Floris it is the same update, Windows Genuine Advantage update...
                  It was developed and tested in late March, and is just starting to cause alot of problems for users this week, as it is forcing many users to install it.
                  But then again if the people have a legal "activated copy of XP", they have nothing to worry about, and will not run into the Nag issues, and issues with being unable to use some Windows Programs, and access to Windows update..
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Dean C
                    After having a quick browse through the wiki on their site, I think the results will be pretty conclusive
                    What did the wiki site say Dean??
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                      What did the wiki site say Dean??
                      You have to edit the lilo config by command line, so chances are he won't get much further than paritioning.

Comment

• T.S.
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Zachery
                        You have to edit the lilo config by command line, so chances are he won't get much further than paritioning.
                        Then I guess C_P's rant about PCLinux being great for average windows users will be quickly disproven. I consider my mother and sister to be average windows users, and neither of them is going to edit a lilo config by command line.

Comment

• cirisme
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Zachery
                          I don't clean my register, I don't need to, I don't run any antispy or adware programs, nor a firewall or virus scanner, I don't need third party utilities to tweak windows,. I don't get viruses (I do scan once every few months, 4 years now virus free), My drives rarely need to defrag. I've also never had a freeze up that was unexecpted (I had some overheating problems, would happen in linux as well.)

If you are having problems with windows, you should re-evaulate your usage
                          Just like C_P's use isn't accurate of most Windows systems, yours isn't accurate of the majority either. *

The truth is somewhere in-between. While it's possible to run a Windows PC without anything more special than a fair amount of knowledge and have no problems, this doesn't describe most users because most users lack basic knowledge.

Likewise, while it's possible to have tons of crap and BSOD's and what not, most users are getting smart enough to run anti-virus, and XP is actually pretty good.

I find it to be too limited for my purposes these days, but it all depends on who you are and what you need.

* (well, maybe a lot of people don't do due dilligence with antivirus and what-not. But most home users who run without anti-virus are not going to have a lot of fun.)
                          TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• Chousho
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 3.8.x

I take it that a system restore won't get rid of it

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Chousho
                              I take it that a system restore won't get rid of it
                              Sure it will, just be sure to restore to a date before the update was installed, then just choose not to install the update, after doing the system restore..
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• gearshifter47
                                • Sep 2003

i don't post very often but I did happen to notice this thread. For any of you looking to possibly make the switch from windows, ubuntu is a great first linux for anyone. Every version they seem to make everything almost automatic. Wireless is no longer a big hassle, almost everything is plug and play. Linux as come a LONG way.

Jason

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...