Looking for a personal backup solution...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LanciaStratos
    • Jul 2001

Looking for a personal backup solution...

I use two computers: my desktop at home and my desktop at school. I keep all of my personal files on an external 120GB drive, and just take it with me between locations. This works great, but isn't the best idea for data security. So, I'm looking for a software solution that I could use on both computers - something to synchronize a selected folder on my computer with the contents of the external hard drive whenever it is present. It would also be ideal if changes made on the external drive were mirrored on the PC's drive immediately (and vice versa).

This would be a wonderful solution, as it would essentially give me three copies of my data, all in different locations. The question is, does anything out there like this actually exist? Any ideas?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Any reason a windows breifcase won't work?

Comment

• mcncyo
      • Jul 2000

rsync

I use rsync for my data. I just keep them rsync together I have it keep the newest copy of each file and then copy them over to each other. I set it up in linux to do it automaticly when i log off, windows i know you can set it up that way but havn't had time to do it.

Comment

• DirectPixel
        • Jan 2002
        • 3.5.x

I use Second Copy. It works pretty good for my personal files.

I set up a profile and specify which folders should be backed up. Then, every time I insert a specific USB thumbdrive, it'll automatically create an incremental backup on the drive.
        :)

Comment

• LanciaStratos
          • Jul 2001

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I actually wasn't aware of how the Briefcase actually worked...after further investigation it does look pretty good (although I am still not sure that I entirely understand it). DirectPixel, is there any particular reason you are using Second Copy over XP's Briefcase?

Comment

• DirectPixel
            • Jan 2002
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by LanciaStratos
            Thanks for the comments, everyone! I actually wasn't aware of how the Briefcase actually worked...after further investigation it does look pretty good (although I am still not sure that I entirely understand it). DirectPixel, is there any particular reason you are using Second Copy over XP's Briefcase?
            I guess I'm just using it because it's more convenient. It'a 100% automatic once it's set up, with no dialogs or anything.
            :)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...