• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cot-BC
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.5.x

ical support for events

Hello,

I've been writing a tool to export vBulletin forum events to give us live ical (rfc2445) export support, and so far it works fairly well for all forum events ("all day", ranged, recurring weekly, monthly, annually, etc.) I've included spport for most of the Olson timezone info, by adding a few custom event fields to our vBulletin events DB, so things like Daylight Saving Time seems to work properly.

I've been able to test it on Apple's iCal, Mozilla SunBird (which has bugs and incomplete support of all RFC options like WKST, invalid packaging of UNTIL to UTC, and a few others, ATM), korganizer, and php-icalander.

I'm in the process of reviewing the code to optimize sections and perform some security checks. When I am done, I hope to make it OpenSource.

What I would really like to see is an ical import tool (even flatfile import would be fine.) I could start work on this too, and build a tokenizer, parser, syntax checker, and conversion/import tool, but that is a lot more work, and requires dealing with clients that violate the RFC.

Before I consider this, is there such an import tool? Are there plans to add support for this to future releases of vBulletin? (I found threads here from years back where is was requested, and more recent threads too, but nothing about a timeline.)

Also, I would like to know what is considered the best, most-current, introduction or HOWTO for building a "plugin" that can be configured from the AdminCP. (I have found a few threads here, and some offsite, but want to know which you all consider to be the best. (One of the threads mentioned there were no admincp hooks, and another suggested a work-around.) All I need support for, is the setting of specific variables that wouldbe used by the export tool to allow for customization for different sites.

Lastly, I am an admin on a licensed vbulletin site, but the person that purchased the license has not yet granted me access here to have a validated account, linked with our license. This means I don't think I can view code samples yet.

Is there a ways that several of us "admins" can share the same effective access to these forums to see code samples without giving us the username/password that he used to make the purchase?

(Step-by-step procedures for how he would add other site admins to this space would be great, so we could just point the buyer to the directions and have him follow them.)
  • Cot-BC
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.5.x

It is working better than before, and I have been able to export iCal to MS Outlook (manual import using File-> import), and subscriptions with Apple's iCal, Sunbird, korganizer, and PHP iCalendar.

Cool thing about the export, is I can specify which calendar (by ID) for export, limit this, and choose whether to export only present/future events, and/or deleted events (to enforce CUA client event update if an event is deleted.)

PHP iCalendar is kind of cool too, because, I can tell it to subscribe to my iCal feed script (per calenar) and it allows user selction of aggregation of iCal to display. (It defaults to all calendars combined.)

This PHP iCalendar is great. It allows me to take my live vBulletin iCal exports, and republish them as RSS. This is really going to help us with user update to events.

Unless I hear something about vBulletin planning support for ical, I guess the next logical step after export, will be import. That would be really cool. Use a CUA where it is easy to manage events, and then have it Sync with the vBulletin events.

Comment

• esnagel
      • Mar 2005

Hello:

I'd love to help beta-test this for you, and help debugging your export tool. Please contact me via e-mail from my profile page.

Thank you

Comment

• Cot-BC
        • Nov 2005
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by esnagel
        I'd love to help beta-test this for you, and help debugging your export tool. Please contact me via e-mail from my profile page.
        I'm not ready for a beta release. I have a few things to do before making it available:

I need to review the security and run through some profiling tests and then let live end-user hammer away at it, and then test the load by simulating multiple active users and then I'll publish it for people to test.

At the moment, the configuration of the export tool is through editing a config file. Having this work also requires a few custom fields for events (added through adminCP)-- several are manditory for ical export to work, but some are optional.

Support for end-users, when using php with args, to:
        request only events with date-time after today or all events
        show/not-show deleted events,
        specify which calendar ID to export
        specify if the mime type is desired as a text file, html file, text/calendar
        include/exclude debugging information appended to Descriptions.

Support in the config file:

Specify default calendar ID, and list calendar ID for "exportable" calendars. (Any calendar ID not listed can't be exported by user selection. By default, unmoderated events are not exported either.)

Prepending or appending any extra text to an event description, on a per-calendar basis.

Prepending or appending local time with timezone information to an event. Some ical CUA show event times in the local time of the CUA, but don't provide an easy way to tell what timezone they are in, and what time they take place in that timezone. This makes it possible to see it in the event description.

Support for the ical GEO field:
        Allows support for prepending or appending a link to google maps, to that actual latitude and longitude within the description of an ical event as well as a GEO field build in the ical, if coordinates were specified in an event (optional).

Support for default timezone, and UTC/GMT offset in case none is specified.

Support for Per-calendar names.

Support to allow for different custom field names, so support for other languages in field names should be possible.

Yeah. Lots of stuff is included so far. I've encountered a few issues with different clients not following the RFC, and have tried to build work-arounds.

Want to see a sample export?

This is a flat-file export (created every 5 minutes) with cron job that calls lynx to dump the results into the above flatfile every 5 minutes.

Eventually, users will be able to call the script directly and get access to the user-config options.

(The live script is not yet public as source or as an application.)

Comment

• Diver
          • Feb 2003
          • 3.6.x

wow this sounds really really interesting sicne google calendars has been released and supports ical format

that would be so great if this would be released some day

Comment

• bstillman
            • Jun 2007
            • 3.8.x

Man I wish this guy would come back. I could really use this script right about now. LOL

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...