Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onimua
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by TruthElixirX
    I don't see how. Many of the current big oil companies are already looking for alternative energy sources and have them. Now as for using them, I wouldn't expect it until oil goes away.
    Which is obivously a problem, since they apparently want to drain as much money out of oil as possible before allowing themselves to let the masses have alternative fuels for consumption.

Not saying they don't exist; I know they do, but they're not exactly being "pushed" into people's minds like oil is.

Plus, we're all too used to oil for our energy uses. Kind of like that old saying, "old habits die hard," I think it'd be the younger generations (current and future) will we will have to depend on to help the environment, since older generations are use to the "same old same old" of their daily lives.

Teach kids, they learn fast.
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• chrispadfield
      • Aug 2000

I don't see how. Many of the current big oil companies are already looking for alternative energy sources and have them. Now as for using them, I wouldn't expect it until oil goes away.
      Some are, but most of it is just marketing stuff. It's "in" to give lip service to being green without actually doing much.

The simplest thing the US government could do is increase the required MPG on cars, as well as stop the loop hole that lets trucks get by without almost no restrictions.

Also, oil will never go away - we won't run out of it. It will just get more expensive. The problem is we need oil for so many other things, burning it is such a waste and will result in all other things (e.g. fertilizers, plastics etc) getting more expensive when they don't need to be - only because of our shortsightedness regarding investment in alternatives.
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• alohatraders
        • Apr 2006
        • 3.5.x

its ALWAYS GLOBAL WARMING outside my front door....

ALOHA!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by chrispadfield
          Also, oil will never go away - we won't run out of it. It will just get more expensive. The problem is we need oil for so many other things, burning it is such a waste and will result in all other things (e.g. fertilizers, plastics etc) getting more expensive when they don't need to be - only because of our shortsightedness regarding investment in alternatives.
          There are things people can do individually that would help.

Use Cloth or Canvas bags instead of plastic or paper supplied by the store you shop at.
          Don't purchase overpackaged foods (Do the potatos really need to be individually wrapped in plastic?)
          Purchase more locally grown foods if you can.
          Shop locally and walk to the store if you can.
          Use soy based soaps and detergents so the gray water can be used in the garden.
          Purchase fair trade and organic coffee, tea and chocolates. With coffee purchase shade-grown products. You'll get better quality and not cut down rainforest.

One thing that irks me is political hogwash. When Arnold Schwarzenegger was running for Governor of California he promised to move to more alternative solutions to provide electricity in this state instead of relying on Natural Gas to generate it. One of those was to require all new homes to have 20% power generation by solar panels. This is very feasible and would not increase new home cost much as retrofitting is more costly. However nothing has been done on this front. Once in office he became the politician. If he had pushed the state forward on solar energy, tidel energy and wind energy then it would not be subsidizing electricity generation and be saving billions every year.

I honestly don't care about what is causing global warming or if it even exists (though proof shows that it does). It is about social and cultural responsibility. We need to be responsible as individuals to make sure that the world is better for our children and grandchildren. If the government doesn't raise gas standards than we should raise them with our wallets. If each of us cut back 20% on our energy use, then the world would be a much better place. A lot of little things can add up not only to be more environmentally conscious but you can save money as well.

Here is a list of 50 small things that can help while not changing your lifestyle a lot and will save you money over time:

A couple of things not on that list include:
          Replacing your CRT monitor with an LCD one. They take up less space and use less energy.
          Replace your incandescent lightbulbs with more energy efficient ones. Don't like flourescents, there is a wide variety of lighting out there to fit your needs.
          Home Automation (a very geeky thing to do) can also save you money if done right.

One of the biggest problems I had is my kids not turning off lights. So I installed motion sensor light switches in their rooms and in the bathrooms. They cost me about $20.00 a piece but they save me about $10.00 a month on electricity bills.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tgillespie
            • Dec 2002
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            There are things people can do individually that would help.

Use Cloth or Canvas bags instead of plastic or paper supplied by the store you shop at.
            Don't purchase overpackaged foods (Do the potatos really need to be individually wrapped in plastic?)
            Purchase more locally grown foods if you can.
            Shop locally and walk to the store if you can.
            Use soy based soaps and detergents so the gray water can be used in the garden.
            Purchase fair trade and organic coffee, tea and chocolates. With coffee purchase shade-grown products. You'll get better quality and not cut down rainforest.

One thing that irks me is political hogwash. When Arnold Schwarzenegger was running for Governor of California he promised to move to more alternative solutions to provide electricity in this state instead of relying on Natural Gas to generate it. One of those was to require all new homes to have 20% power generation by solar panels. This is very feasible and would not increase new home cost much as retrofitting is more costly. However nothing has been done on this front. Once in office he became the politician. If he had pushed the state forward on solar energy, tidel energy and wind energy then it would not be subsidizing electricity generation and be saving billions every year.

I honestly don't care about what is causing global warming or if it even exists (though proof shows that it does). It is about social and cultural responsibility. We need to be responsible as individuals to make sure that the world is better for our children and grandchildren. If the government doesn't raise gas standards than we should raise them with our wallets. If each of us cut back 20% on our energy use, then the world would be a much better place. A lot of little things can add up not only to be more environmentally conscious but you can save money as well.

Here is a list of 50 small things that can help while not changing your lifestyle a lot and will save you money over time:

A couple of things not on that list include:
            Replacing your CRT monitor with an LCD one. They take up less space and use less energy.
            Replace your incandescent lightbulbs with more energy efficient ones. Don't like flourescents, there is a wide variety of lighting out there to fit your needs.
            Home Automation (a very geeky thing to do) can also save you money if done right.

One of the biggest problems I had is my kids not turning off lights. So I installed motion sensor light switches in their rooms and in the bathrooms. They cost me about $20.00 a piece but they save me about $10.00 a month on electricity bills.
            What a great post. Politicians will always be politicians. It does not matter if your left or right.
            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• TruthElixirX
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Okay, I know this isn't contributing but... I have never seen individually wrapped potatos... I guess I live to far in the country. O_o.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Okay, I know this isn't contributing but... I have never seen individually wrapped potatos... I guess I live to far in the country. O_o.
                Perhaps you don't live in California.

Comment

• Cromulent
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Wow thats just crazy.

Comment

• Tailfeathers
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Idaho potatoes just come in a big bag.

Thanks for the info, Wayne. Going to look into all that.
                    Photography :: Bird Information and Help

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Its stupid... Albertson's sells large baking "organic" potatoes that are individually wrapped in plastic. Stupid. You lose environmental benefits of organic potatoes by wrapping them in plastic. Throw out one evil (pesticides and fertilizer) and replace it with another (over packaging). I mean potatoes come with perfectly good skins that hold the insides in.

They also have them in 5 and 10 pound bags but I usually buy them loose and prefer them unwrapped. I have numerous cotton mesh produce bags that are reusable that I put them into. For my non-produce goods, I use heavy duty totes that hold up well and have a good capacity.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Clean air == Global Warning.
                        Everybody: Quick! Polute the air!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...