Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Isaac
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Global warming has been used as the reason that wine is now being made in southern England, yet the Romans were growing grapes to make wine in the north and midlands many centuries ago. At the moment the climate is not quite good enough in those parts of England, so, were they in a more advanced stage of global warming then??

Bob

Comment

• kevinmanphp
      • Jul 2005

I look at it this way... whatever will keep the ice off my windshield in the mornings is okay with me!

Comment

• Kier
        Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
        • Sep 2000

The attitude of some of the posters in this thread toward what any rational-minded person can see is a global problem is rather shocking.

I can only suggest that you go and do some reading for yourselves in respected scientific journals.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
          • Dec 2000
          • 3.6.x

You must still acknowledge that causation has not been established.

Comment

• chrispadfield
            • Aug 2000

Jake,

You need to relax on the philosophy sometimes, either that or read some philosophy of science first. Causation can never be prooved outside of a logic class, in fact what causation even means is controversial.

Having said that, the evidence is overwhelming - in the same way it is for evolution despite it being impossible to ever proove such things.
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk
            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• chrispadfield
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by kevinmanphp
              I look at it this way... whatever will keep the ice off my windshield in the mornings is okay with me!
              May not work like that. Global warming won't cause a uniform increase in temperature everywhere - it's likely some places will get colder. We won't know what will happen, we can't even model weather for a week down the line yet, let alone years - but part of the problem is the changes will be unexpected and thus extremley costly.
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Kier
                The attitude of some of the posters in this thread toward what any rational-minded person can see is a global problem is rather shocking.

I can only suggest that you go and do some reading for yourselves in respected scientific journals.
                Glad someone said this.

The science on this is pretty overwhelming. Yes, there are global fluctuations but there is virtually no doubt among most scientists that the changes happening now are much faster and more severe than can be accounted for by normal global processes.

If fact many of the scientific models developed in the 70s (well before computer modeling was readily available) have proven to be remarkably accurate in their predictions of the affect greenhouse gases on the environment.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                  • Dec 2000
                  • 3.6.x

I know about philosophy and causation. Would it help if I said I believe global warming is a problem, and that humans are responsible, and that the evidence is overwhelming?

The devil's advocate gets no respect.

Comment

• chrispadfield
                    • Aug 2000

So what exactly was your point Jake? The only one I could see would imply a misunderstanding of what scientific theory actually is. Playing devil's advocate is all well and good but in this case it didn't seem to make sense.
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                      • Dec 2000
                      • 3.6.x

The point of my saying:

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                      ...is to make sure that people acknowledge the plausibility of the opposing position on the issue. I was sensing intolerance.

Comment

• Tailfeathers
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Kier

I agree with you completely, Kier. I was actually really surprised by most of the replies here; from such a community, it was not what I was expecting to see at all.

For so many people to think that way I suppose is why we're in this mess to begin with and why with so much evidence and so many problems already showing, so little is being done to improve things on our part.
                        Photography :: Bird Information and Help

Comment

• daemon
                          • Jun 2003
                          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                          (speaking to your comment, not you personally)

Even if global warming isn't scientifically proven, it would be better to err on the side of caution rather than to ignore the issue before it becomes a problem (assuming humans can actually cause the problem). Even if global warming isn't scientifically proven, it would certainly be better to create a more eco-friendly global community than to continue polluting the environment.
                          Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• oldengine
                            • Oct 2004
                            • 3.7.x

Bush did it! It's ALL his fault!

Comment

• chrispadfield
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by oldengine
                              Bush did it! It's ALL his fault!
                              Certainly istn't, but he is also the person with the greatest power to do something about it, but under his watch has not only, not improved the situation but allowed it to get worse.

But it would be a bit much to expect someone who worked in the oil industry to be the one to push for alternative energies - so we will just have to wait for the next President. A number of republicans seem to take the issue seriously - this isn't some left v right thing.
                              Christopher Padfield
                              Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• TruthElixirX
                                • Sep 2004
                                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                                But it would be a bit much to expect someone who worked in the oil industry to be the one to push for alternative energies - so we will just have to wait for the next President. A number of republicans seem to take the issue seriously - this isn't some left v right thing.
                                I don't see how. Many of the current big oil companies are already looking for alternative energy sources and have them. Now as for using them, I wouldn't expect it until oil goes away.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...