X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • welo
    • Sep 2003
    • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

No Linux with Comcast phone

I've been on Comcast cable since before it was Comcast (AT&T), running a FCX box as a LAN server since before it was Fedora (circa RH7). Setup is simple, using DHCP for eth1, postrouting to eth0 198.161.1.1 which feeds the router (whole network is ethernet). The three Win machines on the network have their own IP.

So today they installed Comcast Digital Phone which meant they had to swap out my old cable modem for one with phone support, this one, to be exact. Naturally this meant I had to power down the network and hook a Win machine directly to the new modem, or the phone installer guy wouldn't have been able to get the service initialized.

After he leaves I hook everything up again, accepting his theory that everything on the network would work fine now that the service was activated. I reconnect everything, hard-boot the modem and hub then power up the FC4 box. Check the Win machines and all are online.

EXCEPT...

...Whenever I try to connect to the web with the FC4 box, all I get is a Comcast error page saying my operating system is unsupported. Naturally, no one at Comcast support knows exactly why, especially when the Win machines all have web access, nor can they even determine where the page is coming from (I'm assuming it must be somehow firmware-wired into the modem).

Am hoping to encounter anyone with a similar issue.
    "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
    It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)
  • Dave#
    • Jul 2000

Look at the headers
    http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• The Prohacker
      • Apr 2001
      • 3.8.x

Just a guess. Pull the NIC from the Win box that he setup the connection with and replace eth0 in your FC box. The setup might have stored the MAC from the NIC and is refusing connections from other addresses.

-Mat

Comment

• welo
        • Sep 2003
        • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

The NICs in my machines are non-interchangeable (my LAN server is an actual Tyan 1U server using onboard NICs). Besides, three Win computers on the network all have access, and all are receiving internet from the FC4 box. It's only Fedora that can't get online.

And it's not just the browser either. If I go into the root terminal and do yum update, all it gives me is "not using ftp, http[s}, or file for repos, skipping" then the source code for the intercepting page. Explain that part.

I guess I'll just go ahead and reimage, start from scratch and see if something weird is being zone-cached somewhere. Worse case scenario is I'll have to run the modem to the hub directly for awhile and distribute internet that way. I hate to lose that firewall though. You won't believe the crap it intercepts.
        "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
        It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...