X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MGM
    • Aug 2002
    • 3.6.x

So I'm finally buying an HDTV today...

A few months back I made a thread here asking about HDTV's and I got many mixed answers. So I went ahead and did some more research, and I'm happy to say that now I'm finally ready to buy one, but I have a problem.

I've basically brought my choices down to two tv's... They're both currently on sale at Circuit City...

Samsung 50" DLP: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

Sony 50" LCD: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

I've also been looking at a few Sharp LCD's. So my question is, which of the two above do you think is the better tv? Or if neither, which do you suggest that is within the same price range of those two...

I'll mainly be using it to watch cable tv (I'm talking my parents into getting HD Cable), DVD's, and to play Xbox 360 on it every once in a while. I dont plan on using any of their "PC Compatible" options but who knows...

At the moment, I'm leaning more towards the DLP.

MGM out
    Last edited by MGM; Fri 6 Jan '06, 7:37am.
  • Kier
    Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
    • Sep 2000

I honestly don't know why anyone would favour a DLP screen, they seem inferior in every way except size.

My opinions on using large LCD screens as TVs are well known too, but it's your money, your choice.

Comment

• MGM
      • Aug 2002
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Kier
      I honestly don't know why anyone would favour a DLP screen, they seem inferior in every way except size.

My opinions on using large LCD screens as TVs are well known too, but it's your money, your choice.
      First time I've heard this... 2 of my friends have both said get DLP's, and from what I've read online in a few threads they've said DLP is pretty good for a tv...

So what would you suggest then if not either...?

MGM out

Comment

• Bema Jinn
        • Mar 2003

I'm kinda biased because i hate Sony, so i'd go samsung.

Comment

• filburt1
          • Feb 2002

DLP is also cheaper per inch than plasma or LCD.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
            • Feb 2005
            • 1.1.x

Originally posted by filburt1
            DLP is also cheaper per inch than plasma or LCD.
            Not true, it is base on brand name and the guts inside. In futureshop they had 42" for $1299.99 cnd and 50" $1800.00 cnd plasma tv.

The Samsung 50" DLPâ„¢ HDTV (HL-R5067W) does not look it would be able to get 1080i for xbox 360, but the computer thing is a plus and you have to view the tv in regular cable to see if you really want to see what the picture looks like and only have digital feed, no HD feed going into it.

Plus some of Samsungs plasma's are EDTV a lower quality of HDTV

1-800-SAMSUNG to find out more about this product and any problems that may have or http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

I myself is going to wait to see what Toshiba/Canon come up with. I with be purchasing Samsungs new SlimFit CRT when it comes out in february. I do not like color wheels or bulbs in tv's.

Comment

• filburt1
              • Feb 2002

I should say an HDTV DLP is more cost-efficient per inch than an HDTV plasma or LCD. EDTV plasmas are crap.

I'm too poor to afford either so it doesn't matter to me.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• MGM
                • Aug 2002
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by LEAD_WEIGHT
                Not true, it is base on brand name and the guts inside. In futureshop they had 42" for $1299.99 cnd and 50" $1800.00 cnd plasma tv.

The Samsung 50" DLPâ„¢ HDTV (HL-R5067W) does not look it would be able to get 1080i for xbox 360, but the computer thing is a plus and you have to view the tv in regular cable to see if you really want to see what the picture looks like and only have digital feed, no HD feed going into it.

Plus some of Samsungs plasma's are EDTV a lower quality of HDTV

1-800-SAMSUNG to find out more about this product and any problems that may have or http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

I myself is going to wait to see what Toshiba/Canon come up with. I with be purchasing Samsungs new SlimFit CRT when it comes out in february. I do not like color wheels or bulbs in tv's.
                I'm not too worried about 1080i... from what I've heard, many people say 1080p and 720p are better... seeing as how very few tv's actually support 1080p, then 720p is fine for me.

I should check out what it looks like in regular cable, but how exactly would I go about doing that without actually buying it and checking it on my cable? Do the displays at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Sam's Club have cable running to them? Doubtful...

I found a few great deals at Sam's Club... the Sony one I found for about $2400 for the TV and a base. I also found the Samsung there with the base but I forget the price (I think about $100 more than regular, but it DOES come with a base).

Still currently thinking about going for the Samsung... my parents are a bit shocked at the $300-400 price tag for the bulb... but I've had mixed answers when asking how often I'd need to change the bulb... my friends say 6-8 years, Best Buy says 3-4 years...

I'm trying to talk my parents into going for the 55'' version of either tv... even though it costs about $300-400 more

MGM out

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 1.1.x

I will wait to see a TV (CRT) with 480i(p) 540(p) 720(p) 1080i(p). I was leaning towards DLP's, but having a color wheel/bulb that might have problems within 2yrs and the picture looks bad in a brightly lit room. One more thing is viewing angle is bad too.

Comment

• Kier
                    Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
                    • Sep 2000

I wouldn't get in a twist over 1080p. 1080p is a niche market that will be inhabited mostly by games consoles.

The HDTV resolutions world+dog has agreed upon are 720p and 1080i, of which 720p has more vertical resolution (1280x720) and 1080i has more horizontal resolution (1920x1080/2). They are intended for different media.

The progressive scan of 720p looks very film-like and will primarily be used for movies and drama, while sports and other fast-moving video-based media will be better presented on 1080i.

For the record, I still maintain that nothing on the market beats a well designed and well calibrated plasma screen, such as those available from Panasonic and Pioneer.

I think DLP should stay doing what it's good at, which is projectors. Every DLP TV I've ever seen suffers from horrible solarization, ridiculously narrow view angles, and why would you want a big cabinet TV when plasma and LCD offer such a narrow form factor?

As for LCD, this is just my personal preference but I don't like the look of TV and movies on LCD. LCD is especially unflattering of sources with MPEG artifacts and the contrast and colour saturation levels are still not on a par with plasma or CRT, despite manufacturer's optimistic figures.

There we go, DLP and LCD fans feel free to throw a wobbler at me.

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2004
                      • 3.6.x

What specific models do you like in the plasma section?

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 1.1.x

In Canada you can get a 42" Plasma for $1400 or less and you can guess that is not know name brand ' Insigna ', but it is ED not HD and you need to make sure that 1080i is not ED and maybe that 780p is ED to save on cost. If it has DV ports or be able to run off your computer is nice to have as well.

For myself, I will get Samsung Slimfit and even thou it does not have the color range of plasma, I am not ready to put that much money out for something that is still to new. I hope you do not just buy cause you have that buy bug, but stand back and think if that is the proper choice? remeber that movement can place your colorwheel off align and you will notice it right away if you get DLP.

Comment

• Dustin07
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 3.5.x

I should say an HDTV DLP is more cost-efficient per inch than an HDTV plasma or LCD. EDTV plasmas are crap.
                          I think so.

I researched mine for about a year before I finally settled on a 42" plasma from CircuitCity.

Traded some quality for inches and traded some money for the ability to wall mount it. my wife and I currently own a VERY small house (660sq ft) so wall mount was a must. honestly it has really opened up our living room. The picture is good, but it seems to make great quality look better than regular tv, and worse quality (like low quality tivo recordings) look worse than regular tv.

all in all we're happy with our 42". we have not yet experienced any burn in, but we did finally drop one tiny pixel after about 7 months. I'm planning on taking it in to CC to see if they'll swap me for a new one (not sure what the procedure is). if not, well... the one pixel is almost completely unnoticeable unless you sit and look for it. even then it takes a while to find it.

good luck, if you are buying a bigger tv than you currently have I'm sure you'll love it. If you already have that size, I'd say focus on quality then.

Comment

• MGM
                            • Aug 2002
                            • 3.6.x

After viewing both tv's and comparing price, quality, and features, I decided to go with the Sony. It overall looked more vibrant, had newer technology, and was cheaper (came with a base all for around 2300).

I did notice what Kier posted earlier about bad viewing angles with the DLP. It just seemed overall more dark than the Sony, but that could be contributed more towards how Sams Club set it up then the actual tv.

Thanks to everyone who posted and helped! I'll try to get some pictures up soon

MGM out

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                              • Feb 2005
                              • 1.1.x

To bad you do not have any of these stores near you or does that company have a price match policy?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...