Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CeleronXT
    • Mar 2002

McAfee v. Symantec

I've been using Norton's Antivirus for years and for the most part I haven't had any problems, but I've been reading that it's a resource hog and slows down Windows considerably. I've never noticed this myself, but that may be due to the fact that I always install it immediately after Windows, and so I wouldn't ever really experience the fast operations long enough to notice a difference.

So, which brand of antivirus software is better? Is McAfee an equal resource hog? (Oh, and is NOD32 any good?)
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)
  • harmor
    • Aug 2003

Get AVG, it's just as good and it's free.

Comment

• Vile
      • Jul 2002
      • 3.6.x

NOD32 is great, and uses very little memory compared to others.

McAfee is horrible..I used it in the past, and will never use it again.

Currently I use Symantec Antivirus (Corporate version of Norton) and it's another one that works great IMO.

The applications I absolutely hate by Symantec & McAfee are the all-in-one solutions, such as Norton Internet Security, Norton System Works, and so on. These programs are memory hogs and don't work nearly as well as standalone solutions. (i.e. 1 antivirus program only, 1 firewall, instead of all-in-one)

Other decent AV programs that don't use too much memory are Avast and Antivir

I've tried AVG on my system, and used when it was installed on a clients machine, and it didn't really do it for me...Not a big fan of AVG. The detection rate didn't seem that great to me.

As long as you are not set on getting freeware, and don't mind paying, you should go with NOD32 IMO.
      Last edited by Vile; Thu 5 Jan '06, 5:53pm.
      Webmaster / Administrator
      www.MegaGames.com
      www.MGForums.com

Comment

• harmor
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Vile
        NOD32 is great, and uses very little memory compared to others.

McAfee is horrible..I used it in the past, and will never use it again.

Currently I use Symantec Antivirus (Corporate version of Norton) and it's another one that works great IMO.

Other decent AV programs that don't use too much memory are Avast and Antivir

I've tried AVG on my system, and used when it was installed on a clients machine, and it didn't really do it for me...Not a big fan of AVG.
        That's right, my mom uninstalled AVG for Avast.

Try Avast.

Comment

• DirectPixel
          • Jan 2002
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by CeleronXT
          I've been using Norton's Antivirus for years and for the most part I haven't had any problems, but I've been reading that it's a resource hog and slows down Windows considerably. I've never noticed this myself, but that may be due to the fact that I always install it immediately after Windows, and so I wouldn't ever really experience the fast operations long enough to notice a difference.

So, which brand of antivirus software is better? Is McAfee an equal resource hog? (Oh, and is NOD32 any good?)
          If you have NOD32, use it. It is simply one of the best out there. It's effective, very up-to-date, scalable, easy to manage, easy to use, and not very resource-intensive at all.

It seriously blows away anything Norton of McAfee have to offer. AVG is alright, but if you've already got NOD32, then why bother with AVG? If you don't already have NOD32, AVG Free is a great program.
          :)

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
            • Feb 2005
            • 1.1.x

I have this free with my internet subscription and never had any bugs get pass it.
            AppHelp delivers IT helpdesk solutions that help power cloud adoption and onboarding to improve customer retention and drive recurring revenue in the digital economy.

Comment

• eXaulz
              • Jan 2005

Symantec dby far. I love it, catches viruses, trojan horses, some ad/spyware, bad javascript files, it's great.
              McAfee is.... eh. I've never really like dit.
              NOD32 - Great antivirus, hard-to-understand interface.
              AVG - Great for a free AntiVirus.
              AntiVir - (free-av.com) Best free antivirus out there. Some people say it's the best.

I personally use Windows OneCare -- anitivrus, firewall, soon-to-come antispyware. It's a great antivirus. Sadly, it's still in Beta and you have to be.. hmm... 'accepted' to be one.

Comment

• Radon3k
                • Nov 2001

I've never used this myself but I've heard good things about PC-Cillin. I currently use Norton but I may give either NOD 32 or PC-Cillin a try.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 1.1.x

PC-Cillin is U.K. base, or I could be wrong?

Comment

• Vile
                    • Jul 2002
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Radon3k
                    I've never used this myself but I've heard good things about PC-Cillin. I currently use Norton but I may give either NOD 32 or PC-Cillin a try.
                    I tried the latest version at work a few months back, and I found this to be too resource intensive.
                    The UI is also a bit outdated
                    Last edited by Vile; Thu 5 Jan '06, 6:27pm.
                    Webmaster / Administrator
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Radon3k
                      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Vile
                      I tried the latest version at work a few months back, and I found this to be too resource intensive.
                      The UI is also a bit outdated
                      Thanks for the information. I may go ahead and give NOD 32 a try then in a few weeks and see how I like it.

Comment

• Quillz
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 5.0.X

I've been using McAfee VirusScan for years, and it works fine for me. It also auto-updates itself, which I find very useful.
                        Forums

Comment

• AWS
                          • Apr 2000
                          • 5.2.x

I used Norton and it was a resource hog.
                          McAfee was even worse. 100% cpu usage. Search Google for McAfee 100% cpu usage and you'll see it is a major problem.
                          Used AVG. Virus signatures never were released in a timely fashion.
                          I use Bitdefender free edition on my Vista installs and Nod32 on my XP and 2003 Server installs.
                          Both are top notch and I don't even know they are running.
                          Nod32 takes a bit of getting used to. Once you have it configured the way you want you'll never have to worry about it.
                          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• MGM
                            • Aug 2002
                            • 3.6.x

Currently using AntiVir from free-av.com .... Never heard of Nod32 or Bitdefender... might give them a try sometime.

MGM out

Comment

• Creepshow
                              • May 2005
                              • 3.5.x

McAfee vs. Symantec?
                              Easy.

Symantec.
                              "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...