Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babolo
    • Jan 2004

Radeon or GeForce

I am looking for a graphics card and I was wondering wich one is better for the sims 2, and Grand Theft Auto?
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Enter me... a Sims 2 Fansite owner...hahahaha

Suggestion is stick with a GeForce card. In general it seems people using a GeForce card seems to have less problems than those who are using ATI Radeons.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• tgillespie
      • Dec 2002
      • 3.7.x

If buying now, I would suggest a 7800GT or a 6800GT, but that all depends on how much money your willing to spend. You can't compare nVidia to ATI without giving us a price guide. I would take a ATI 9800 over a nVidia 5900, but a nVidia 6800 over a ATI x800.

As for problems regarding video cards in general, it all depends on the user and the manufacture of the card. All ATI and Nvidia makes are the chipsets and the drivers.
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• dreamer81
        • May 2005
        • 3.7.x

I have always used geforce, but my last card i tried an ATI because people say it's better.

I have never had so many problems, and i deeply regret buying an ATI.

From now on i will always stick to Pentium and GeForce
        My site
        www.coolservice.dk

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Been having a slight overheating issue with my AIW (but its a huge difference in card from my 8500).

Most games under normal conditions the system works 100% fine.

My room is also fairly hot during the winter months (both the wood heater and the regular heater are below me, and I've got 3 pc's 2 monitors 2 tv's etc)
          I haven't tested the summer months yet. But I plan on getting a slot cooler for it. I'm near positive that its just a heat issue atm.

I love my ATI cards to death and for the most part have never had a problem.

Comment

• MGM
            • Aug 2002
            • 3.6.x

I have also never had a problem with ATI. I like both ATI and nVidia though, so either one will work. But I prefer ATI. I've gotten better performance out of ATI cards than nVidia cards in the past (although atm I'm using an nVidia card, but thats cause I got a good deal for it)

MGM out

Comment

• Marco
              • Nov 2000
              • 3.8.x

I think those particular games are somewhat optimized for nVidia cards, correct me if I'm wrong. But it really doesn't make that much of a difference; a fast ATI card will perform great, and so will a fast nVidia card.

Right now the nVidia Geforce 6800GS is a good buy

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

I have always used nVidia cards. However about a year ago, I went to upgrade my card and people recommended an ATI 9800 Pro (128 MB RAM) when I asked around. It fit my budget and they said it would do what I need. While it was installed, I had constant problems. Every single game I threw at it would crash (Half-Life 2, Battle for Middle Earth, Farcry (demo), Starcraft, City of Heroes, you name it). Finally, I got fed up and went out and purchased an nVidia 5700 FX with 256 MB of RAM, installed it and haven't had a crash since. With the 9800, it didn't matter what I did, change drivers, reinstall Windows, used third party drivers, etc..., it would crash.

My wife's computer currently has a 5500 (128 MB) in it and the kid's computers all have GeForce 440 MX cards. None have any problems. Well, the only problem we had was after a driver update, my wife's computer would crash when she tried to enter her house in Everquest II. A driver rollback easily fixed that and the next version didn't have the problem.

Right now, I am pretty happy with nVidia and don't see switching again in the forseeable future.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tgillespie
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  I have always used nVidia cards. However about a year ago, I went to upgrade my card and people recommended an ATI 9800 Pro (128 MB RAM) when I asked around. It fit my budget and they said it would do what I need. While it was installed, I had constant problems. Every single game I threw at it would crash (Half-Life 2, Battle for Middle Earth, Farcry (demo), Starcraft, City of Heroes, you name it). Finally, I got fed up and went out and purchased an nVidia 5700 FX with 256 MB of RAM, installed it and haven't had a crash since. With the 9800, it didn't matter what I did, change drivers, reinstall Windows, used third party drivers, etc..., it would crash.
                  My 9800 works flawless. It all depends on your setup and luck of the draw. Both ATI and nVidia make excellent cards and you won't go wrong with either one. It all boils down to how much money you have to spend and who has the best bang for the buck. If you get a faulty card, take it back and get another one. If ATI or nVidia was plauged with these problems people rant about, then they wouldn't be a company, but thing is, both are solid companies.

Comment

• Acid Burn
                    • Jun 2003

Im looking for a new graphics card as well, just for refrence, which would you say was more important, clock speed or memory. This card will probobly need to last for two years, top preformance in all games isn't a nesecity.

Im looking at this 6600GT - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=81344

Comment

• tgillespie
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Acid Burn
                      Im looking for a new graphics card as well, just for refrence, which would you say was more important, clock speed or memory. This card will probobly need to last for two years, top preformance in all games isn't a nesecity.

Im looking at this 6600GT - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=81344
                      The 6600GT is a great card for the money. The conversion comes out to around $150 USD which is a comparable price, considering you live over seas. You'll probably be fine with PNY, but if possible, look for another manufacture. Possibly eVGA, BFG, ASUS, Gainward, MSI. PNY has a VERY strick RMA/return policy and isn't the easiest to deal with.

Comment

• babolo
                        • Jan 2004

thanks I think I am going with the Geforce FX.

Comment

• tgillespie
                          • Dec 2002
                          • 3.7.x

What model? There are a lot of different FX cards.

Comment

• Acid Burn
                            • Jun 2003

Just forund this 6800XT

Considering its only a few quid more than the 6600, would it be worth it?

Comment

• babolo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tgillespie
                              What model? There are a lot of different FX cards.
                              Actually I changed my mind. I'm going to get Geforce 6 series.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...