Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bane
    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by MGM
    So you're saying that people will hate Google simply because people hate Microsoft? And here I thought they were two completely different companies...
    I don't find it that unrealistic at all. Google is moving away from the "do no evil" and towards being a competitive company. Being the golden child only takes you so far. The purchase of a stake in AOL was the step over the line from being a nice neutral company into being someone who competed with the big money player (MS) and WON. Not over some popularity contest or prime placement in an open source browser, mind you, but over a company that will bring an incredible amount of money their way.

This isn't to say that Google isn't an incredible company that does a great amount of good, but to say that Google is in fact, first and foremost, a company. Two different companies they may be but MS and Google are in the same arena, and you don't keep underdog status long after you start winning every fight.

Comment

• MGM
      • Aug 2002
      • 3.6.x

So you're saying a company SHOULDN'T try to get some money? So they purchased a stake in AOL... how does that mean they're moving away from the "do not evil" thing? It doesn't. You're right, Google first and foremost IS a company, but that doesn't mean we should hate it or that it's evil, now or tomorrow.

MGM out

Comment

• Justice
        • May 2000
        • 2.0.x

I don't think he's saying we should hate Google. I think he's saying some people will just start to, for some of the same reasons they hate Microsoft... whether the reasons are just or not. It's not that hard to understand.
        "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
        - Mark Twain

Comment

• Bane
          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by MGM
          So you're saying a company SHOULDN'T try to get some money? So they purchased a stake in AOL... how does that mean they're moving away from the "do not evil" thing? It doesn't. You're right, Google first and foremost IS a company, but that doesn't mean we should hate it or that it's evil, now or tomorrow.
          Oh come on now, this is just arguing for the sake of arguing. Obviously I don't think that a company shouldn't try to get money. That's obviously stupid, and neither I, nor the fine folks at Google are morons.

What I did mean, and in fact specifically point out, is that Google can't have it both ways. You can't smack the big dogs paw when he reaches for the dinner bowl and get away with it too many times without everyone in the area realizing that you're the new big dog. Especially when the former bully takes a page from your playbook and begins recreating itself as a personal focused company.

Like it or not a lot of people loved google simply because they were NOT MS. Some people love firefox simply because it's NOT IE. People love the underdog, and Google is proving daily that it is no longer it. All that's needed is one large screwup before the hate fest begins. One privacy issue without the golden halo in place.

Will I hate them? Not likely. But I do realize it's more than possible.

Comment

• MGM
            • Aug 2002
            • 3.6.x

But that's assuming a screw up will come, and that one screw up will throw them down the drain. I dont think so. I think even if Google screws up, just because they aren't Microsoft, people will back them up (for the most part).

But yea, I see what you're saying... and I'm just playing devil's advocate... while I like Google, if they cease to be the company I currenty like, I'll simply stop liking them.

MGM out

Comment

• thethethe
              • Nov 2005
              • 3.5.x

Optimum Online (ISP) is what I use,

Google is awesome

AOL I like, as long as you don't mention the software. It slowed the heck out of my computer. Plus, the security is low.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...