X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PBChannel
    • Feb 2001
    • 3.6.x

Status?

Is there any way to get some sort of status as to what Jelsoft has planned for the future of vBulletin?

As a long time user of vBulletin, I'd hate to do it, but I am considering a move over to IPB because vB lacks many of the things I am currently looking for (gallery, blog, etc.), but I don't want to shell out several hundred dollars for something else if Jelsoft is going to come out with something in the near future.

I understand you may want to keep things under wraps, but I'm sure you could at least say that you are actually working on or considering working on something, or at least let us know that you are doing something beyond vBulletin itself.
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Currently Jelsoft is working on (bang)

/me drops dead....
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

/me shot Josh.

a) Josh isn't staff, so he basicly knows nothing more then you can read on these forums.

b) We have no information about future modules or release dates thereof.

If we have anything to post officially we will do so in the announcement forum. Or through our newsletter. Sorry that we can't give you any further information.

If in the future vBulletin does offer you what you are looking for, remember that we have an impex script you can use to move from IPB to vBulletin. So IPB might be a nice temporary solution in your situation.

Good luck with everything.

Comment

• Vtec44
        • Jan 2005
        • 3.7.x

I'm sure they have plans for additional products, natural business progression. The question is how soon will those products be on the market? For me, it doesn't really matter if the module is from the same company of the forum software, as long as I like it I will continue to use it regardless.
        So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• Onimua
          • Apr 2005

Well, there is already some code written in for a chat/gallery... and Kier mentioned the blog... so I would say it's a matter of time.

Hopefully a great treat would be an announcement to ring in the New Year.
          Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Dec 2000

We have implemented a new system for keeping track of our planned features in products which we've currently filled with stuff and we're working on at this very moment in time.

There are however no plans to release details at this moment in time, we're not stagnating if anyone thinks this is the case we just like to keep killer new things quiet until we know exact dates or they're near completion and ready for testing.
            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Thanks for the update Scott. And good luck with the research & development.

Comment

• Andrew111888
                • Mar 2003

Which I suppose means they're not close to completion or testing.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • Dec 2000

We're always doing research and development, and its not an update when we get around to doing one you'll know all about it.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• PBChannel
                    • Feb 2001
                    • 3.6.x

So, you can't even say that you're coming out with something (not having to mention the name) in XX days/months/years?

Like I said, I don't want to shell out several hundred dollars if I don't have to, and if I do, chances are that I wont come back to vBulletin.

Comment

• Onimua
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by PBChannel
                      So, you can't even say that you're coming out with something (not having to mention the name) in XX days/months/years?

Like I said, I don't want to shell out several hundred dollars if I don't have to, and if I do, chances are that I wont come back to vBulletin.
                      No, they never give estimates, probably for the soul reason that if they don't meet them, people get upset (even if they are "estimates" and nothing solid).

Though, it seems the developers keep hinting at something without actually saying it.
                      Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• MGM
                        • Aug 2002
                        • 3.6.x

I'm sure we'll see an announcement for a new Jelsoft product (or another major vB update) in the first half of 2006.

MGM out

Comment

• PBChannel
                          • Feb 2001
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Onimua
                          No, they never give estimates, probably for the soul reason that if they don't meet them, people get upset (even if they are "estimates" and nothing solid).

Though, it seems the developers keep hinting at something without actually saying it.
                          I'm not really interested in estimates, just would like to know if they are working on something besides vBulletin, and since they can't or wont say anything, I can only assume that they aren't really working on anything and will have to go elsewhere for my needs.

I'm also trying to point out that protecting your interests can be a double-edged sword and make you lose some of your customer base.

InvisionPower certainly doesn't have a problem with releasing updates on what they're working on or letting people know what they intend to release, so I can't understand why Jelsoft would.

I do know that Jelsoft is reportedly working on a CMS, but there is no information on its features, so I don't know if it will fit my needs.

It's a bit of a conundrum for some of us.

Comment

• Noiz Pollution
                            • Apr 2003
                            • 3.6.x

PBChannel, Jelsoft is like any other company when it comes to competition, the last thing they need/want is to tell everyone "yeah we're working on X" only to have a competitor catch wind of it and release their own version of "X" before they do, that's essentially business lost before it's even been won.
                            Visit NoizPollution.com // Your Music Source

Do not PM or email me for support, you will not receive a response. Please post all requests for support in the main vBulletin forums or via the support system in the main members section of the site.

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by PBChannel
                              I'm not really interested in estimates, just would like to know if they are working on something besides vBulletin, and since they can't or wont say anything, I can only assume that they aren't really working on anything and will have to go elsewhere for my needs.

I'm also trying to point out that protecting your interests can be a double-edged sword and make you lose some of your customer base.

InvisionPower certainly doesn't have a problem with releasing updates on what they're working on or letting people know what they intend to release, so I can't understand why Jelsoft would.

I do know that Jelsoft is reportedly working on a CMS, but there is no information on its features, so I don't know if it will fit my needs.

It's a bit of a conundrum for some of us.
                              We're not invision. And Scott has provided enough information.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...