X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MGM
    I haven't gotten anything over 150 so far (since upgrading to 1.5)... I recently hit 100MB a few days ago. Either way, this should be fixed asap, and I'm really surprised the Firefox team hasn't fixed this yet...
    Firefox has had memory leaks since the first public technology release. I doubt it is going to be fixed any time soon.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

1.5 and my PC never have these problems. Yes, I have 300MB in memory for a few firefox insances, but that's because they have between 15 and 75 tabs open.

It is the fastest loading browser, and renders the pages fastest, and performs great .. pages look nice and has no issues with vb 3.5.2 sites at all.

I am really happen, way more then with the 1.0 line.

Comment

• patriotcow
        • Nov 2004

Its a known bug that firefox is a firehog.. Just patch it up or get a new browser. Firefox sucks *

Comment

• MGM
          • Aug 2002
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Firefox has had memory leaks since the first public technology release. I doubt it is going to be fixed any time soon.
          I realize that, since version .7 I believe someone once stated? Either way, I'm starting to get worried as to why they haven't completely fixed this problem yet... surely with so many versions and fixes released they've found out where the problem lies...

MGM out

Comment

• Onimua
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by MGM
            I realize that, since version .7 I believe someone once stated? Either way, I'm starting to get worried as to why they haven't completely fixed this problem yet... surely with so many versions and fixes released they've found out where the problem lies...

MGM out
            Unless they're turning into Microsoft.
            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Kier
              Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
              • Sep 2000

Firefox has horrible memory leaks, but you can get around them by closing all your browser windows every so often, which will reset the memory usage.

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                • May 2003
                • 3.6.x

Which is probably a result of the right hand not knowing that the left hand is doing. One of the problems with openware development -- too many fingers in the pie (then since it's volunteers doing the fixing, folks are at the mercy of some 25 year-old programmer who'll "get to it" after his other important things are done).

Chris
                "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                ~~~
                Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• ravens-gate
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.5.x

Mine does that occasionally when it decides to mess up.
                  Of course it has bugs, but its much better than using IE....

just get used to it, if it does it, restart firefox.

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                    • May 2003
                    • 3.6.x

Yeah, restart FF when you have 30 browser windows open -- and lose your spot in every one in the process.

That's not an improvement, that's a serious bug.

Chris
                    ~~~
                    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Kier
                      Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
                      • Sep 2000

Yeah, it's a very nasty bug. I'm still waiting for the time when it's acknowledged as a problem by the Mozilla team.

Comment

• Colin F
                        • May 2004

I use the SessionSaver extension to keep tabs/windows in place when restarting the browser.
                        Best Regards
                        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                          Which is probably a result of the right hand not knowing that the left hand is doing. One of the problems with openware development -- too many fingers in the pie (then since it's volunteers doing the fixing, folks are at the mercy of some 25 year-old programmer who'll "get to it" after his other important things are done).

Chris
                          Firefox isn't open development. It is developed by a core group of engineers at the Mozilla Foundation. What makes it Open Source is you can download the sourcecode, modify it to fit your needs and redistribute it. Not everyone can contribute to the main development tree though.

Since the Mozilla Suite and Netscape browsers don't have the same issues, I would suggest it is flaw in the XUL implementation of Firefox and not the Gecko Engine. Especially since changing your theme or adding extensions increases the problem.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                            • May 2003
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            Firefox isn't open development. It is developed by a core group of engineers at the Mozilla Foundation.
                            Mozilla Foundation is a non-profit organization of financial contributors and marketeers, Wayne...

Mozilla is a global nonprofit dedicated to keeping the Internet a global public resource that is open and accessible to all.

Established in July, 2003, with start-up support from America Online's Netscape division, the Mozilla Foundation exists to provide organizational, legal, and financial support for the Mozilla open-source software project. The Foundation has been incorporated as a California not-for-profit corporation to ensure that the Mozilla project continues to exist beyond the participation of individual volunteers, to enable contributions of intellectual property and funds and to provide a vehicle for limiting legal exposure while participating in open-source software projects.
                            Chris
                            Last edited by ChrisLM2001; Tue 13 Dec '05, 2:10pm.
                            ~~~
                            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Not going to argue with your superior intellect...

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                                • May 2003
                                • 3.6.x

Distributed Decision-Making

Mozilla.org staff is not equipped to make the volume of decisions needed for ongoing development. For one thing, it would be presumptuous to believe that the Mozilla hackers on mozilla.org staff are the experts in all areas of the code; this is most certainly not the case. For another, staff is small. The project would slow to a crawl if mozilla.org staff tried to make the majority of decisions regarding particular pieces of code.
                                mozilla.org Staff

Since mozilla.org is a virtual organization, there is no formal employment or authority relationship among the staff. Nevertheless, we operate with a certain sense of order, shared responsibility, consensus building, and trust. We seek a general consensus among staff, and we expect a sense of give and take. We expect staff members to state their view forcefully, but to recognize that even passionately held views will not always be adopted by the group. When consensus is difficult or an individual decision-maker is needed, we look to Brendan Eich for technical matters, and Mitchell Baker for policy and organizational matters. It would be hard to imagine staff taking technical actions to which Brendan is adamantly opposed, or policy actions to which Mitchell is adamantly opposed.
                                [Hmmmmm, much like IE development, huh?]

Mozilla "super-review"

In any case, super-reviewers have discretion to raise "design" as well as "code" red flags, and stipulate remedies, as necessary. This is necessary because mozilla.org does not require a separate design review prior to code review; instead, we expect hackers to talk about their designs, post specs or less formal blurbs about their intentions, and take feedback throughout the (usually non-linear) design/implementation process.
                                Chris
                                ~~~
                                Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...