X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cbiweb
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.1.x

AJAX pros and cons.

While reading this thread, I saw a few posts that are negative toward AJAX - from simple dislike to flat out hating it. I'm not trying to start a debate war here, but I'm curious about why some people don't like AJAX. Personally, I love it, and have had no problems with it. So for those who don't like it... why not?
    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~
  • Zonex
    • Dec 2004

Perhaps they don't like how it creates less work.

Comment

• MGM
      • Aug 2002
      • 3.6.x

Apparently because it makes bookmarks and the Back button useless... but I'm almost certain this can be fixed with some form of url manipulation....

MGM out

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

I don't like it because it relies entirely on Javascript, which not everybody has enabled (by choice, quite often) and has wildly different implementations for each browser. Also, for those used to using the web, they expect that interacting with a component on a web page navigates to a new page and could be confused when seemingly nothing changes.

In principal, it's good, but with the reality of browsing and web users, I don't like it.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

Originally posted by cbiweb
          While reading this thread, I saw a few posts that are negative toward AJAX - from simple dislike to flat out hating it. I'm not trying to start a debate war here, but I'm curious about why some people don't like AJAX. Personally, I love it, and have had no problems with it. So for those who don't like it... why not?
          As filburt1 said, some people don't like it because it can be unpredictable in some browsers.
          Forums

Comment

• Creepshow
            • May 2005
            • 3.5.x

Simplicity is often the key!

This is why I prefer vBulletin version 2.0.x to 3.0.x / 3.5.x

So I'm not a huge fan a AJAX either...
            "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Creepshow
              Simplicity is often the key!

This is why I prefer vBulletin version 2.0.x to 3.0.x / 3.5.x

So I'm not a huge fan a AJAX either...
              *cough*
              Disable ajax
              Disable all the "bells and whistles".

Filburt did it, and he gained all the new backend functionaility

Comment

• filburt1
                • Feb 2002

Been rewriting entire templates, too. Keeping the PHP files intact, though, as always.

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

What you did with WDF is awsome , personally I like the ajax/js and alot of my members really enjoy it too. They'd freak if it went away

Comment

• MGM
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by filburt1
                    I don't like it because it relies entirely on Javascript, which not everybody has enabled (by choice, quite often) and has wildly different implementations for each browser. Also, for those used to using the web, they expect that interacting with a component on a web page navigates to a new page and could be confused when seemingly nothing changes.

In principal, it's good, but with the reality of browsing and web users, I don't like it.
                    Isn't the total supposed to be less than 3%? Hardly a huge amount of people...

MGM out

Comment

• filburt1
                      • Feb 2002

3% of 100,000 visitors for a month (random number, not necessarily my statistics) is still 3,000 annoyed users.

Wait until WDF v5, Zach...I'm not even using the built-in CSS anymore but wrote my own replacement style sheets instead for total control.

Comment

• Chroder
                        • Dec 2002

All of the AJAX features silently degrade into normal separate pages when the user doesn't support the JS required, doesn't it?

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Yes, they should.

While reading this thread (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154325&highlight=AJAX), I saw a few posts that are negative toward AJAX - from simple dislike to flat out hating it. I'm not trying to start a debate war here, but I'm curious about why some people don't like AJAX. Personally, I love it, and have had

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                            • May 2003
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by filburt1

What he said!

Chris
                            "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                            is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                            ~~~
                            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• patriotcow
                              • Nov 2004

I don't like the thread editing bit about it, I like the title bit though but when editing threads the browser goes all slow then somtimes when you edit the message doesn't even save and I have to do it again.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...