Does Google Earth feature live satellite feed?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Milado
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Quillz
    Oh, okay. Is it illegal for a non-military program to have such a feature?
    I don't think that such a program is available for public usage, it may be abused by terrorist groups.
    Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

• TomJames
      • Feb 2006
      • 3.8.x

The problem (apart from security issues) is more related to the bandwidth required for a service like Google Earth to show (near) live imagery of any area. Military satellites (like the UK's SkyNet satellites) which are designed mainly for minimal latency and max bandwidth cost an insane amount and even they struggle to actually provide enough bandwidth for all the comms etc that goes over them.

Live satellite footage would use a lot more bandwidth and monetizing it for something like Google Earth would make it hard to justify the cost.

As for security issues, the level of detail that a satellite would produce would make it impossible to identify individuals, or even large buildings (with any detail). To get that level of detail you'd have to have helicopters / planes flying over constantly. Of course if issues like detail, cloud cover etc could be resolved, they could just have a delay of say 4 - 24 hours on all footage. Though even then there could be concerns, such as watching to see when people go on holiday.
      - TomJames

Comment

• hitmancode47
        • Jul 2008
        • 3.8.x

With live satellite feed's, could they not just compress the data? sure the data stream will run a few seconds behind, but it would be worth it!
        Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...