Does Google Earth feature live satellite feed?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quillz
    • Nov 2004
    • 5.0.X

Does Google Earth feature live satellite feed?

There is a free version of it, and then the $20 and $400 versions. I'm wondering if the $400 offers live satellite feed? I can't get a seven day trial of it because I don't really own a company at the moment...

Alternatively, are there are similar programs to Google Earth that offer live satellite feed?
    Forums
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

They have a somewhat free live version, if I recalled correctly. I was able to observe LAX airspace and see planes flying around, but with quite a bit of lag and delay time.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Quillz
      • Nov 2004
      • 5.0.X

I know that there will be considerable lag, but it's live satellite feed, nonetheless. You said this is Google Earth? Is it the $400 version?
      Forums

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

No. Free version.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          No. Free version.
          On the free version? How do you get live satellite feed from the free version?
          Forums

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
            • Feb 2005
            • 1.1.x

This is still good to use.
            NASA WorldWind Software Development Kits (SDKs) for geo-spatial 3D virtual globe visualization via OpenGL/WebGL on Android, Java and JavaScript/HTML5 platforms.

Comment

• Caiman
              • Apr 2004
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Quillz
              On the free version? How do you get live satellite feed from the free version?
              I don't think he actually meant he saw the planes visually flying around, i.e. like video, but there is a program which will update the positions of all inbound/outbound traffic to from LAX and a couple of other airports with points and the map, and show their flight paths... not 'live satellite images' though, just satellite positioning. You can download it here. Once it is installed, you can even tilt to see what altitude aircraft are at, and it updates periodically so in essence you can watch them descend into the airport.
              Aye

Comment

• Quillz
                • Nov 2004
                • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Caiman
                I don't think he actually meant he saw the planes visually flying around, i.e. like video, but there is a program which will update the positions of all inbound/outbound traffic to from LAX and a couple of other airports with points and the map, and show their flight paths... not 'live satellite images' though, just satellite positioning. You can download it here. Once it is installed, you can even tilt to see what altitude aircraft are at, and it updates periodically so in essence you can watch them descend into the airport.
                Cool, but I was looking for live satellite feed in general. You know, like cars moving on the freeway, etc. Any plugin or program that does that?
                Forums

Comment

• filburt1
                  • Feb 2002

Cool, but I was looking for live satellite feed in general. You know, like cars moving on the freeway, etc. Any plugin or program that does that?
                  None unless you're in the military...
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Quillz
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 5.0.X

Oh, okay. Is it illegal for a non-military program to have such a feature?
                    Forums

Comment

• filburt1
                      • Feb 2002

No, but you'd have to launch a satellite. If you're going to launch a satellite, can I bum some telemetry off you?
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Quillz
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 5.0.X

Isn't GE connected to a satellite?
                        Forums

Comment

• tgillespie
                          • Dec 2002
                          • 3.7.x

Isn't GE connected to a satellite?
                          GE is static and not connected to a satellite. The images you see are served from a server. Some of the imaging dates back several years.
                          Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                            • May 2003
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by filburt1
                            No, but you'd have to launch a satellite. If you're going to launch a satellite, can I bum some telemetry off you?
                            Damn, I just want to "borrow" the Hubble telescope to take some pics of some Messier's nebulas. Then Chandra. Then Spitzer.................

Live satellite feeds just aren't going to be available for non commercial use (got the serious capital to buy "air" time????). You can charter special image maps though (think at something like $1500 a shot). It's done with LANDSAT/II imagery all of the time.

Chris
                            "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                            is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                            ~~~
                            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Quillz
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 5.0.X

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                              Damn, I just want to "borrow" the Hubble telescope to take some pics of some Messier's nebulas. Then Chandra. Then Spitzer.................

Live satellite feeds just aren't going to be available for non commercial use (got the serious capital to buy "air" time????). You can charter special image maps though (think at something like $1500 a shot). It's done with LANDSAT/II imagery all of the time.

Chris
                              So Google Earth isn't really a satellite, then? It's just that LANDSAT/II imagery thing?
                              Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...