Does Google Earth feature live satellite feed?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Google Earth is a bit more like a hybrid Maps.google.com and whatever you can think of.

It adds details to items of interest from around the world, ie airplanes in my instance, if you have the proper data stream
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
      • May 2003
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Quillz
      So Google Earth isn't really a satellite, then? It's just that LANDSAT/II imagery thing?
      Don't know, but from what I saw it's still imagery.

Doubt the government will allow real time satellite imagery for civilians (just too dangerous in the wrong hands).

Since I don't know what you're looking for, look here for your map needs (free of course)...

USGS has a mother lode of map imagery, from land/sea/air.

Chris
      "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
      is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
      ~~~
      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

So Google Earth isn't really a satellite, then? It's just that LANDSAT/II imagery thing?
        It's previously captured aerial photography projected onto a sphere (or other shape if topography is enabled). Of course it's not live. You think all those millions of Google Earth users are controlling planes and satellites live up there?
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

Originally posted by filburt1
          It's previously captured aerial photography projected onto a sphere (or other shape if topography is enabled). Of course it's not live. You think all those millions of Google Earth users are controlling planes and satellites live up there?
          No, I didn't think it was live. I thought they were pictures taken from a satellite.
          Forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by filburt1
            None unless you're in the military...
            Not exactly true... I have software in my desk drawer that can track cars with GPS identifiers installed. It works in California, Oregon and Nevada. Actually it will work anywhere in the world but I only have maps for California, Oregon and Nevada. Caltrans has software that tracks cars and relative speed on California highways using sensors in the road not satellites.

I doubt however anything like that exists in a webpage at this time. Google would need to launch their own satellites into space.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

No, I didn't think it was live. I thought they were pictures taken from a satellite.
              Some of the pictures are. An NOAA satellite to be exact which maps the surface of the earth. Others are taken by aerial photography. You can purchase the images yourself from the US Government if you wish. If you want Maps, You can purchase maps of the entire country on CD in a form called "TIGER DATA" from the government as well. I am sure other countries have similiar projects.

The images and the map data are the basis of Google Earth and Google Maps. There are also companies out there like Navtech which refine the Tiger Data and make it more accurate. For instance Tiger Data doesn't contain information on traffic direction on roads whereas Navtech Maps do. Then you have to learn how to plot latitude and longitude on a "flat" surface to make it work right. My last corporate project was exactly this kind of work. Quite interesting. When we were done, we could watch the company's patrol cars drive the streets of Los Angeles, overlay satellite imagery over the maps, overlay video feeds from the cars, overlay customer locations, and other fun stuff. Never had to worry about satellite feeds though. Everything was stored in a 1.2 Terabyte Oracle Database.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Quillz
                • Nov 2004
                • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Some of the pictures are. An NOAA satellite to be exact which maps the surface of the earth. Others are taken by aerial photography. You can purchase the images yourself from the US Government if you wish. If you want Maps, You can purchase maps of the entire country on CD in a form called "TIGER DATA" from the government as well. I am sure other countries have similiar projects.

The images and the map data are the basis of Google Earth and Google Maps. There are also companies out there like Navtech which refine the Tiger Data and make it more accurate. For instance Tiger Data doesn't contain information on traffic direction on roads whereas Navtech Maps do. Then you have to learn how to plot latitude and longitude on a "flat" surface to make it work right. My last corporate project was exactly this kind of work. Quite interesting. When we were done, we could watch the company's patrol cars drive the streets of Los Angeles, overlay satellite imagery over the maps, overlay video feeds from the cars, overlay customer locations, and other fun stuff. Never had to worry about satellite feeds though. Everything was stored in a 1.2 Terabyte Oracle Database.
                See, that's far more complex that what I wanted to do. I just wanted a program that featured satellite feed, but I guess they don't make any for civilians.
                Forums

Comment

• filburt1
                  • Feb 2002

Not exactly true... I have software in my desk drawer that can track cars with GPS identifiers installed. It works in California, Oregon and Nevada. Actually it will work anywhere in the world but I only have maps for California, Oregon and Nevada. Caltrans has software that tracks cars and relative speed on California highways using sensors in the road not satellites.

I doubt however anything like that exists in a webpage at this time. Google would need to launch their own satellites into space.
                  True but I was referring to live imagery.
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Quillz
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 5.0.X

I don't want to track anything, per se... I just wanted to zoom into a city and just watch stuff move around. Nothing particular.
                    Forums

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                      • May 2003
                      • 3.6.x

That's not live satellite imagery, Wayne. That's just GPS.

It would need a couple billion to do so, which they'll never get the return cost to launch it, let alone the upkeep costs. Nevermind the government won't allow civilians such access without major security blockouts in certain areas.

Chris
                      ~~~
                      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• tgillespie
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                        That's not live satellite imagery, Wayne. That's just GPS.

It would need a couple billion to do so, which they'll never get the return cost to launch it, let alone the upkeep costs. Nevermind the government won't allow civilians such access without major security blockouts in certain areas.

Chris
                        I think he understood that. Why would you need a couple billion to do so? The standard GPS system already present isn't to far off from the technology needed.
                        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                          • May 2003
                          • 3.6.x

Would need another satellite feed. And the price for satellites aren't cheap, even the low end variety is in the $100 mill range (and that's not counting the yearly upkeep).

Such monitoring to "just watch a city" would take more computing power than end-users would have too. Nevermind the strain on resources to provide such a feat (and the possibilities of it being abused and folks die due to it -- like drug runners using it to watch if cops are staking out places, etc.).

Real time access like that will be prohibited.

Chris
                          ~~~
                          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• amberiya
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2009

How should a soldier in Iraq get satellite internet access? If someone is on an Army base in Iraq, what are the options for satellite internet there? He's allowed to have a large dish. Would that help? He wants the fastest he can get, but I'd like to know all the options so I know how much it will cost. I've heard it's very expense. Is it hard to set up, like to point the dish at the satellite? He doesn't need TV, just internet. Obviously an ISP that will do business in English by email instead of by phone is a must.

Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 13 Jul '09, 5:06am.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.8.x

It uses Satellite maps, there is no need for an actual satellite with the app 24/7, as it uses pictures that are dated, some months, some a couple years back.
                              Just zone in on your own house and see what was there when the picture's were taken...
                              Every time I show a friend Google Earth, they're surprised when they don't see their car sitting out front of my house...

Well that would be really cool, but it don't offer that, "Yet" but will it ever? Your talking a lot of money, but I have no idea..

I am not sure of Google Earth's Pro's exact full features list, but I know its not a live Satellite feed, and I know it is also $400.00..

So it would not be worth it too me...
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Quillz
                                • Nov 2004
                                • 5.0.X

Originally posted by amberiya
                                How should a soldier in Iraq get satellite internet access? If someone is on an Army base in Iraq, what are the options for satellite internet there? He's allowed to have a large dish. Would that help? He wants the fastest he can get, but I'd like to know all the options so I know how much it will cost. I've heard it's very expense. Is it hard to set up, like to point the dish at the satellite? He doesn't need TV, just internet. Obviously an ISP that will do business in English by email instead of by phone is a must.
                                All I know is that satellite Internet can be quite expensive, and the speeds usually leave much to be desired. Unfortunately, I don't know much about ISP services in Iraq, so you're probably best using Google or another search engine.
                                Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...