X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisLM2001
    • May 2003
    • 3.6.x

WHM/cPanel: Apache 2.0 and Mysql 5.x

After some reading I learned that Apache 2.0 can break WHM/cPanel, and doesn't get updated (or can be rewritten by WHM's update).

So how many vBulletin admins are using Apache 2.0 with Mysql 5.0, and what are your performance results?

Those who are doing direct admin how's your performance compared to WHM/cPanel, as well?

Chris
    Yes -- WHM/cPanel -- Got it to work! Performance is great!
    50.00%
    Yes -- WHM/cPanel -- Got it to work! Performance is mediocre.
    0.00%
    Yes -- WHM/cPanel -- Got it to work! Performance is marred with problems (please explain).
    0.00%
    No --- WHM/cPanel -- Doesn't work or have no need for it -- Please explain which.
    50.00%
    Yes -- Direct Admin -- Performance is superb (and I even did my own tweaking!).
    0.00%
    Yes -- Direct Admin -- Performance is equal to Apache 1.3 and Mysql 4.1 despite tweaks.
    0.00%
    Yes -- Direct Admin -- Performance is full of errors to fix (please explain).
    0.00%
    No --- Direct Admin -- Please explain why.
    0.00%
    Yes -- Other CP -- Performance is terrific!
    0.00%
    Yes -- Other CP -- Performance hasn't increased much.
    0.00%
    Yes -- Other CP -- Performance has been a pain in the neck (please explain below)!
    0.00%
    No --- Other CP -- Please explain why.
    0.00%
    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
    ~~~
    Leonardo da Vinci
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

I run apache2 and php5 on windows, no problems, its a dev server.
    I run apache2 with php4 on my mac, and it works fine.
    I run apache1 with php4 on most of my servers, no reason to go to php5 yet as it breaks alot of backwords compatability.
    I wouldn't mind running apache2 on my cpanel servers, but I don't want to run the risk of screwing my customers out of a working enviroment.

Comment

• Dave#
      • Jul 2000

I wouldn't run Apache1 anywhere unless my custom modules weren't threadsafe
      http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
        • May 2003
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Zachery
        I run apache2 and php5 on windows, no problems, its a dev server.
        I run apache2 with php4 on my mac, and it works fine.
        I run apache1 with php4 on most of my servers, no reason to go to php5 yet as it breaks alot of backwords compatability.
        I wouldn't mind running apache2 on my cpanel servers, but I don't want to run the risk of screwing my customers out of a working enviroment.
        Mysql 5.0, Zachary.

From http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...-nutshell.html
        Performance enhancements: A number of improvements were made in MySQL 5.0 to improve the speed of certain types of queries and in the handling of certain types. These include:
        • MySQL 5.0 introduces a new “greedy” optimizer which can greatly reduce the time required to arrive at a query execution plan. This is particularly noticeable where several tables are to be joined and no good join keys can otherwise be found. Without the greedy optimizer, the complexity of the search for an execution plan is calculated as N!, where N is the number of tables to be joined. The greedy optimizer reduces this to N!/(D-1)!, where D is the depth of the search. While the greedy optimizer does not guarantee the best possible of all execution plans (this is currently being worked on), it can reduce the time spent arriving at an execution plan for a join involving a great many tables — 30, 40, or more — by a factor of as much as 1,000. This should eliminate most if not all situations where users thought that the optimizer had hung when trying to perform joins across many tables.
        • Use of the Index Merge method to obtain better optimization of AND and OR relations over different keys. (Previously, these were optimized only where both relations in the WHERE clause involved the same key.) This also applies to other one-to-one comparison operators (>, <, so on), including = and the IN operator. This means that MySQL can use multiple indexes in retrieving results for conditions such as WHERE key1 > 4 OR key2 < 7 and even combinations of conditions such as WHERE (key1 > 4 OR key2 < 7) AND (key3 >= 10 OR key4 = 1). See Section 7.2.6, “Index Merge Optimization”.
        • A new equality detector finds and optimizes “hidden” equalities in joins. For example, a WHERE clause such as
          t1.c1=t2c2 AND t2.c2=t3.c3 AND t1.c1 < 5can be reduced to
          t1.c1=t3.c3 AND t2.c2 < 5 AND t3.c3 < 5These optimizations can be applied with any combination of AND and OR operators. See Section 7.2.10, “How MySQL Optimizes Nested Joins” and Section 7.2.11, “How MySQL Simplifies Outer Joins”.
        • Optimization of NOT IN and NOT BETWEEN relations, reducing or eliminating table scans for queries making use of them by mean of range analysis. The performance of MySQL with regard to these relations now matches its performance with regard to IN and BETWEEN.
        • The VARCHAR data type as implemented in MySQL 5.0 is more efficient than in previous versions, due to the elimination of the old (and nonstandard) removal of trailing spaces during retrival.
        • The addition of a true BIT column type; this type is much more efficient for storage and retrieval of Boolean values than the workarounds required in MySQL in versions previous to 5.0.
        Wondering if Apache 2 and mysql 5.x makes any difference. Not much is said about Apache 2 and mysql 5.x and it's performance together. Considering how much vB uses mysql REALLY wonder if there's a benefit in working with mysql 5.x instead of 4.1.x, along with Apache 2.

Chris
        "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
        is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
        ~~~
        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...