• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roosevelt
    • Jul 2004
    • 5.0.X

Whooo.. my portfolio site is online!!

Hello everyone,
    I have been thinking about starting my own website design services site for 3 years now. But first two years I sucked, wasn't finantially strong and basically was a kid . But after lauching PhotoshopCity.com, my finance has been great, by that time I worked with top companies as a web designer and coder. So, I thought may be it is the best time to launch a little portfolio. On the portfolio everything is setup, only thing I left blank is my resume, because i am rewriting it and need to list all of my clients. So, please provide your opinions of the website design, contents and such. And if for some reason you don't like something over there, do include ways to make it better .

Website Link: http://www.rooseveltrp.com/
    Out to Change the world!
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

a) Do you have permission off Everaldo to use his crystal icons? I know for a fact that he requires copyright in the footer 99% of the time and only gives permission without copyright if you pay him a sum or know him personally.

b) I couldn't even see any of your actual work in your previous clients section

c) If you've been dealing with HTML/CSS for 2-3 years now, you should be adhering to at least some level of standards.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• roosevelt
      • Jul 2004
      • 5.0.X

I don't really worry about HTML/CSS levels. And the crystal icons came with www.templatespace.com, when I got my hosting they provided me with free access to templatespace. So, I am not sure who actually created those icons, if they were really made by everaldo tell me his web location and I will contact him. I haven't actually got the time to insert the previews of my works. I will do it asap . by the way thanks for your fast reviews .
      Out to Change the world!

Comment

• Dean C
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.5.x

Well you should worry about web-standards. Have a read here:
        The Web Standards Project is a grassroots coalition fighting for standards which ensure simple, affordable access to web technologies for all.
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• patriotcow
          • Nov 2004

Weird how you used imagereadys bad coding standards when you've done HTML / CSS for 3 years. Good luck with it though!

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
            • May 2003
            • 3.6.x

Need more than just to look up web standards.

That's an ImageReady (or should I say ImageStyler) slice up, and that type of web design went bye-bye 5 years ago. Sliced sites break badly and not accessible at all, nevermind it uses tables for presentation (an absolute no-no for web designers now).

Try making your site more web compliant, then folks can critique your web design. Right now it's but images and critiques would be about anything but a web site.

Chris
            "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
            is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
            ~~~
            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
              • Feb 2005
              • 1.1.x

In your forum, you need to make your own icons. The one's you have now are pixelated, way to grainy and should only have certain colors for that style you are using? You might want to fix that 'Who's Been Online 24hr' hack.

If you have the psd for those icons, you should make them the same background color in that website link of yours? At least make your own flash intro for your forum site.
              Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Sun 4 Dec '05, 11:57pm.

Comment

• Creepshow
                • May 2005
                • 3.5.x

Looks great man, good luck with it!
                "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• roosevelt
                  • Jul 2004
                  • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Creepshow
                  Looks great man, good luck with it!
                  Thanks man. By the way Lead_Weight I asked for review of the portfolio site, not the forums. ChrisLM2001 can you like give more info. Like what method I should use, instead of telling that sucks, that's not cool. Be helpfuil and provide ways to make things better just like Lead_Weight said. Because I've been making website designs for clients the same way I did this one, and so far none of them ever said anything negative. I just don't yet understand why the W3C thing is so important. As long as my design works fine in all browsers, I don't have anything to worry about. It kind of starts a debate like if you want to use IE or Firefox. Both browsers are awesome and depends on the user's choice which one he should use. So, same with the web standards crap, when everyone learns HTML, the trainning starts with <html><head></head><body></body></html> not <!DOCTYPE.XXXXX> . When I exported the image files I did gave the option to use XHTML transitional, but it messed up the design and was working fine on FF but IE crapped it up. So, I just removed that tag and it was working fine on both browsers. And I like tables. I did make website designs without tables using complete CSS, but it gave me lot of headaches to work it out nicely on Opera, so I stick with tables. Thanks all, and do keep your suggestions and comments coming.
                  Out to Change the world!

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                    • May 2003
                    • 3.6.x

Roosevelt, if you want a honest critique you'll have to not be defensive. Being defensive about design will cause you to not only loose future clients, you wouldn't even know why you lost them. And the whole purpose of critiques is to learn from mistakes, get advice and brush up on technique -- not bellyache about the advice and only seek "that looks good" replies.

Do you want a thorough critique or not?

Chris
                    ~~~
                    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• roosevelt
                      • Jul 2004
                      • 5.0.X

Tthe whole point of giving critique is to give suggestions to make things better. I don't mind your critiques at all, and actually re-thinking about tables, to use them or not. So, if you also spare some of your tips to make things better, it will be really helpful and I will really appreciate it . You are also willing to help aren't you, so spare some ideas to give me a head-start you know .
                      Out to Change the world!

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                        • May 2003
                        • 3.6.x

Folks gave you the most important tip: ditch the ImageReady/ImageStyler layout. The reason for that is someone needing to view the text can't increase the text size making sliced sites very non accessible; because they can break royally in various browsers (images in tables are notorious for this); and because it's very inefficient use of bandwidth and resources (takes more to serve images than a single static page).

About web standards: If designers don't follow them then the internet will look butt ugly, be inaccessible even to 15 year-olds, and waste resources.

So ditch the pics and only use them as elements, not the entire site.

Chris
                        ~~~
                        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                          • Feb 2005
                          • 1.1.x

What I said about your icons, can still apply to that page & you should stick with 2 - 3 font styles only for front page. I have notice that your page loads slowly? That is not good for 56k modem user ( which I hope your U.S. goverment passes something to make internet speed a standard dsl ) Yes, the page loads up in areas and not at once? I do not like how it loads.

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                            • May 2003
                            • 3.6.x

<offtopic>
                            Technically impossible to make the standard at DSL speeds in the US at this time. It's like claiming those Canadians living in Resolute Bay should have DSL speeds (nevermind cities planned like in Edmonton). The expense and effort would be too much. Some regions will remain on dialups into way past 2050 due to their remoteness (some areas probably still use rotary phones!).

Besides, energy production is dismal today. There's not enough juice to justify the expense.
                            </offtopic>

The page will load slowly due to downloading so many pics. It's very inefficient on resources for his server and the visitor.

Chris
                            ~~~
                            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• roosevelt
                              • Jul 2004
                              • 5.0.X

I also noticed it. I need to optimize the graphics big time, and also include the images... if you notice I used full URL... so got to fix this bad boy fast . The big graphics on the main page might take a bit time to load, because one of them is 39 kb, and the other is 45 kb. Where other graphics are 222 bytes to 2 kb.
                              Last edited by roosevelt; Mon 5 Dec '05, 4:00pm.
                              Out to Change the world!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...