This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lionel
    • Apr 2001

If that was the case that they forced Brian to let go thru a lawsuit, I'd say that we all boycott that photopost.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Lionel
      If that was the case that they forced Brian to let go thru a lawsuit, I'd say that we all boycott that photopost.
      It's too early to take such drastic action. So far it's been rumours it's a lawsuit. I've seen speculation and evidence that points to it, but until Brian and/or Photopost reveals what was going on behind those closed doors, we can do nothing but speculate.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

Yeah, but if you own a vBGallery license like me. That would just be cutting your own throat to spite photopost, seeing as they have your license and account details now. Money down the pan that would be!!

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
          • May 2003
          • 3.6.x

Attributed to Brian...
          Something happened beyond our control in regards to the vbadvanced gallery.

Oh, that explains the quick sale. When it's beyond his control, it usually means a legal issue.

What's sad about the vb.org's thread is, if that guy over there was a PP employee (I never used gallery software, let alone used PP), that explains why others have a sorry impression about PP. That was some really heavy handed PR, and translates awful to even those not associated to any of those products.

When folks pay for a product, they usually expect some level of customer service. A price tag comes with an obligation to service what you sale in a proper manner, not get into fisticuff fights with upset customers.

The exchange at vb.org has turned me off completely of PP. Not going to spend $100 just to get that level of "service", especially by what it appears of using attorneys to squash competition.

Jelsoft: we need a CMS/Gallery/Blog!

Chris
          "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
          is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
          ~~~
          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Lionel
            • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
            Yeah, but if you own a vBGallery license like me. That would just be cutting your own throat to spite photopost, seeing as they have your license and account details now. Money down the pan that would be!!
            I have a license also. However I would not mind buying another script for 60.00 if it were available, rather to put any money into those photopost people. I used to own photopost from the perl days. Tried the php version too. I even had their reviewpost and I spent a month fixing bugs. Not to mention their arrogance.

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

I have a license also. However I would not mind buying another script for 60.00 if it were available, rather to put any money into those photopost people. I used to own photopost from the perl days. Tried the php version too. I even had their reviewpost and I spent a month fixing bugs. Not to mention their arrogance.
              I've never had the pleasure of dealing with them - so I don't really know what PP are like.

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                • May 2003
                • 3.6.x

Read that vB.org thread, and that's a good example of what folks can't stand.

Arrogrant is an understatement.

Chris
                ~~~
                Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Lionel
                  • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                  I've never had the pleasure of dealing with them - so I don't really know what PP are like.
                  LOL, you in for a giant surprise. They even shut down their hack sites (which was dead anyway) and have ben refusing to allow hacks on the main site, citing legal problems. I wonder what they will do now with vbgallery's hacks.

Lots of people bought vbulletin because of vbgallery and vice versa. We as a community should not allow mediocrity to disrupt great and needed coders.

I don't think that those people have a full comprehension of PHP.

Comment

• weirdpixels
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Vtec44
                    http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12926

Wow, this is totally unexpected. There goes the competition.
                    thanks for the news, I just wonder when photopost will update their website about this.
                    http://www.weirdpixels.com/images/buttons/button.gif

Comment

• MRGTB
                      • May 2005

Monday or Tuesday has been quoted before the accounts are in place

Comment

• weirdpixels
                        • Aug 2003

thanks for the info, I was away for the weekend and came back to to this
                        http://www.weirdpixels.com/images/buttons/button.gif

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                          • May 2003
                          • 3.6.x

LOL, you in for a giant surprise. They even shut down their hack sites (which was dead anyway) and have ben refusing to allow hacks on the main site, citing legal problems. I wonder what they will do now with vbgallery's hacks.
                          The problem PP has isn't only customer service, it's how they use the courts to quell competition.

Problem I saw before -- even with vB itself -- is when Brian made vBAdvanced folks thought he lifted vB's own code. His work is very close, but not exactly the same, which probably gave PP an entrance to say "you stoled our code" (and lawyers wouldn't know code if it bit them on the butt to tell the difference, and did what lawyers do, ask for some settlement thinking it's easier).

If it was my code, and I didn't steal a line anywhere, I would've held out on principle, because that's a rep killer (Brian now will have to face speculation that he stoled code, since PP won the fight. You can imagine what it could do for future projects). Wish he would've just held up on principle, if for anything we (the public) could factually say, "no court said Brian stoled code". With this silence and gag order, no one can say that Brian is in fact innocent of that smear.

It doesn't look good anyway you slice it for either party <-- and why courts aren't always the best way to settle differences, too.

Chris
                          ~~~
                          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Colin F
                            • May 2004

I haven't seen any official notice anywhere that this purchase has anything to do with courts and lawyers.
                            Currently it's just a lot of people speculating, and that is something that can kill someones reputation as well....
                            Best Regards
                            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Zonex
                              • Dec 2004

Chris, it's most likely a settlement agreement. No courts are involved.
                              It's usually.."sign this and turn over that or I will see you in court!". The cost and uncertainty of going to trial is usually enough to make one sign. If this was in fact the case...some corporate DCMA bullying tactic, Brian might have seen if the EFF would have helped him out.

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                                • May 2003
                                • 3.6.x

The question is, Zonex: why was there need of a settlement in the first place?

See how this stuff can linger?

Chris
                                ~~~
                                Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...