New Ipods again?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MX3Central
    • Oct 2005

I personally don't understand the hype about Ipod..
    I have a PCC with a 2 gig memerycard I use to take music with me. Having my phone, agenda, e-mail, mp3 player, and more in 1 device if worth far more to me then having 8 gig more.
    I never listen to all the music I have with me and whenever I'm home I change the music that is on there.

Now can someone explain what podcasting is, and what it's for? LOL

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by andrewpfeifer
      If you have an aftermarket deck (or maybe even a stock deck in a newer car, not sure) that has an auxiliary in that accepts RCA, or some other proprietary adapter that will hook the RCA up to the deck, it's worth it to go that way. The sound quality as opposed to the iTrip or some other FM broadcaster will be much better. The only downside to this is that it runs around $50 to get all the cables, if not more. If you'd like some more information on how to do this I can try to get it for you, just let me know.
      My deck in my car is a stock from a 95 volvo 850, it hsa a cd and an aux hookup and it is connected to a now defunct cd changer

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
        • May 2003
        • 3.6.x

Do what techy relative did. Rewire the car and put in a DC to AC power strip in it so to run all those AC computer related products, and not be strapped into just car DC products.

With that powerstrip, he can have his laptop do what 5 other devices did (even has a laptop mount so it'll swivel and he can view it while driving), and all while his battery is recharging too. Came in handy when family went cross country in the car and had to avoid a tornado storm across OK (with the laptop w/bluetooth, they could follow the storm in progress), and bypass the areas affected. Best thing: he gets out of the car, his DVD player/music/and other electronics (now all portable due to the strip) is carried out with him <-- and car thieves are non-wiser.

After seeing car windows smashed for less things (like radars), portability is a must for high priced gadgets!

Chris
        "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
        is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
        ~~~
        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• filburt1
          • Feb 2002

The sound quality as opposed to the iTrip or some other FM broadcaster will be much better. The only downside to this is that it runs around $50 to get all the cables, if not more. If you'd like some more information on how to do this I can try to get it for you, just let me know.
          Not to mention that the $50 adapter takes four hours to install (disassembly of your car is a PITA, not including the mounting of the adapter).

Check out http://www.crutchfield.com/ for aux input adapters. Excellent buying experience from them. They have dedicated iPod solutions (i.e., ones that plug into the dock port) but they average $200.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• andrewpfeifer
            • Oct 2000
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by filburt1
            Not to mention that the $50 adapter takes four hours to install (disassembly of your car is a PITA, not including the mounting of the adapter).

Check out http://www.crutchfield.com/ for aux input adapters. Excellent buying experience from them. They have dedicated iPod solutions (i.e., ones that plug into the dock port) but they average $200.
            It's not one single adapter that I was talking about, I apologize for not making that clear. Mine goes as follows:

iPod -> Belkin Auto Kit for iPod with Dock Adaptor -> mini plug from the line out on the previous to two male RCA plugs (bought it at Best Buy, it's a Monster cable) -> Pioneer CDRB10 Auxiliary Input Adapter -> deck

Install was a breeze, popped my deck out, plugged the stuff in, and ran the cables. Took a good 15 minutes to do everything, including setting the deck up to accept the aux-in source (that was the hardest part for me..haha). Granted, my car may be easier to tear apart to install stuff in, but I can't imagine it would have even taken me 4 hours to install my entire system. If you're talking about the tearing apart of his car taking 4 hours, it very well may as I have no experience with them, but I still would tend to think it's a little of an exaggeration.
            - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
              • May 2003
              • 3.6.x

All this work just for an iPod??

Enjoy this site and turn your car into a carputer (techy relative has, even uses open source software for his car's own computer <-- to the chigrin of the auto repair techs)...

Chris
              ~~~
              Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• MrNase
                • Jun 2003
                • 3.8.x

The sound quality as opposed to the iTrip or some other FM broadcaster will be much better. The only downside to this is that it runs around $50 to get all the cables, if not more. If you'd like some more information on how to do this I can try to get it for you, just let me know.
                I don't know about the US but in Germany the overall quality with iTrip is very good! There are a lot of free frequences you can use and as you don't drive through the whole country but only one part (for work..) chances are great that you can have your favorite frequence selected all the time.

The reason for me to get iTrip (although it's illegal in Germany ) was that I didn't want to modify my car just for MP3-functionality which I hardly use.

However, I didn't regret the decision as this one is the most simple solution to get MP3 in you car!
                That's the end of that!

Comment

• patriotcow
                  • Nov 2004

Apple is like chavs and burberry

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

For us americans?

Comment

• andrewpfeifer
                      • Oct 2000
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by MrNase
                      I don't know about the US but in Germany the overall quality with iTrip is very good! There are a lot of free frequences you can use and as you don't drive through the whole country but only one part (for work..) chances are great that you can have your favorite frequence selected all the time.

The reason for me to get iTrip (although it's illegal in Germany ) was that I didn't want to modify my car just for MP3-functionality which I hardly use.

However, I didn't regret the decision as this one is the most simple solution to get MP3 in you car!
                      The main reason I chose to go the route to hook it up directly is because everything in my car is amped. With the amps, even a strong FM signal produces some static, so this was the only way for me to do it to obtain CD-quality sound.

I see you're in Dortmund; I'm going to be in school in Bayreuth all next year, perhaps we'll have to meet up and have a beer.
                      - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Speaking of new iPods.. Has anyone checked out the Rokr phone from Motorola? This basically combines a cellphone with an iPod. It only holds 100 songs but I am sure you can change them out regularly with software.

Been thinking about getting my wife one for Yule. They are $149.00 at Cingular but it would be a major upgrade from her LG phone. Plus it would give her a reason to keep her phone charged all the time.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                          • May 2003
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          Plus it would give her a reason to keep her phone charged all the time.
                          Ah, Wayne, she's a woman -- if they have the phone charged they aren't talking on it!!.

Chris
                          ~~~
                          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• filburt1
                            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            Speaking of new iPods.. Has anyone checked out the Rokr phone from Motorola? This basically combines a cellphone with an iPod. It only holds 100 songs but I am sure you can change them out regularly with software.

Been thinking about getting my wife one for Yule. They are $149.00 at Cingular but it would be a major upgrade from her LG phone. Plus it would give her a reason to keep her phone charged all the time.
                            It's a worthless piece of garbage, according to all reviews (yes, all, I read everything on the Internet). A huge complaint, other than the unnecessary 100-song cap, is that the interface is ridiculously sluggish.

I say get her a $50 flip phone readily available with a 2-year contract and a refurbished Mini for $160 directly from Apple. Way more storage and each device is better suited to what it is supposed to do.
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Vile
                              • Jul 2002
                              • 3.6.x

I say get her a $50 flip phone readily available with a 2-year contract and a refurbished Mini for $160 directly from Apple. Way more storage and each device is better suited to what it is supposed to do.
                              Wayne,
                              I would advise against getting the iPod Mini...Of all the iPods, the mini is the most problematic...Out of the 4-5 iPods I've owned (I almost always upgrade when a new version comes out) ranging from the 2G, 3G, 4G, Mini, etc, and of the iPods I see come back needing service, the one that has the most issues is the mini. These problems range from a defective battery, hard drive, and so on.
                              Webmaster / Administrator
                              www.MegaGames.com
                              www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                                • Aug 2000

She already has a cheap $50.00 flip phone and we have a family plan contract already. She also has a 40GB Creative Zen MP3 Player. Was just looking for something for quick trips to the store or other times when the Zen might not be the best solution.
                                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...