• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    Well time is needed too.

I strongly don't believe Jelsoft would ever create a dependent product where one product needs another to run (as how it is at a certain company), but rather create independent products that can become dependent if necessary.
    Agreed - Jelsoft would do well to have the option to integrate seemlessly with vBulletin but have the ability for it to be entirely standalone

Chris

Comment

• babolo
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TheHeggy
      I took a look over on IPB's site today and was a little surprised/disappointed to see all the new products they're coming out with:

=====================================================
      Invision Dynamic: Looks like some kind of CMS solution for sites that run IPB. I'm aware that there are things like vBAdvanced, but a lot of people need something "deeper" than that.

Nexus: An online store. One thing that has been sorely needed in vBulletin is a storefront integration; TheVBGeek.com is working on something (we own and use it on our site). It's a great addon for being in beta, but compared to the looks of Nexus it's got a long ways to go. I believe an official vB storefront addon would be tremendous selling point to a lot of people.

Vectura: This would be a great addition to any site - The ability to offer your members free webmail. I think there was an addon a while back for the 3.0.X series, but again, it wasn't an offiicial vB product.

Invision Gallery: There are two excellent solutions (that I'm aware of) for gallery integration - PhotoPost and the vBAdvanced Gallery. The vBAdvanced is great (we use it) but it still has some kinks and isn't as powerful as PhotoPost (EXPENSIVE and not designed specifically for vB).

Invision Blog: Lots of vB solutions out there for this already, but the more official vB products the more your appeal grows.
      =====================================================

Please don't think I'm trying to start an IPB vs vB debate or that I'm complaining. I just think vB ought to put out some sort of "this is what's coming, it'll be done when it's done" thing out there.

vB is a great product and you've got a lot of loyal consumers, give us some news

Thoughts?
      So what... That stuff is going to cost. We have people at vbulletin.org willing to do it free.

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
        • May 2003
        • 3.6.x

So what? Is it so what the reason AJAX was incorporated into 3.5.0 is because of competition (despite all of the catcalls of it's problems, while neglecting the very basics like css/xhtml to spec)?

Jelsoft is adding more developers for a reason (either because they finally realize the code and all needs to be clean/fixed -- and there's too much on the backburner to do with but a few handful of workers and frontend customer service folks). I hope it's also because they'll be developing some officially supported mods and/or extensions.

The bad thing about addon mods from vbulletin.org, you're on your own. There is no support from Jelsoft on them. If vBulletin plans to get more "corporate" and design forums for businesses (not just hobby forum communities) they need officially supported addons -- as such businesses won't spend their lives trying to update/upkeep a forum from 15 year-olds who are budding hackers as well (that's not a slur, but to businesses image is everything and why they're so slow in implimenting online sales). The mod community is an asset of show/tell, but it translates poorly to those forking out serious money for forum development and need professional help.

Chris
        "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
        is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
        ~~~
        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Andrew111888
          • Mar 2003

AJAX was probably incorporated in 3.5 because it will be more supported in the near future, not because of competition.

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
            • May 2003
            • 3.6.x

More likely because Matt from IPB was pushing it along -- and going to town on his blog too, which escalated more excitement over an old technology that's a twin to the memory hungry DHTML.

The forumware dev community is so small, that if one forumware developes XYZ the other one will follow (as forum owners want the same gee whiz option). So if IPB has a gallery, blog and whatever official addons, vB will follow or be left behind -- and vB has to fight to stay on top or it'll join the other once beens.

So Jelsoft when will we get a vBlog <-- nice name touch, gallery and other value official add ons??

Chris
            ~~~
            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Andrew111888
              • Mar 2003

They're never going to tell, you know .

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                • May 2003
                • 3.6.x

We can try prodding the info out -- sometimes they slip a dev secret. :evil grin:

vBlog <-- please, please, please!!

Chris
                ~~~
                Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• MGM
                  • Aug 2002
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                  We can try prodding the info out -- sometimes they slip a dev secret. :evil grin:

vBlog <-- please, please, please!!

Chris
                  They do... Kier has already stated that they may develop a blog to showcase the plugin system, and it'll probably be free too.

MGM out

Comment

• Mac Write
                    • Oct 2001
                    • 4.2.x

vBadvanced is not even remotely a true CMS it's a crappy portal **** I don't want a portal to run my content site, I want a CMS without needing to buy the forum software. Same with a gallery script. but I also want 100% vBulletin intergration in the future. Also vBadvanced is not a simple click install, no you have to edit files and templates to get it working and even then it still breaks. I will only use official addons from Jelfsoft. I do add a few small mods (like advanced IP lookup) but nothing major by a long shot.

Comment

• babolo
                      • Jan 2004

Well you are right. Vbulletin's site had problems with me and so I downloaded an illegal copy of IPB and it was actually pretty damn good. VB has a lot of catching up to do.

Comment

• MRGTB
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by babolo
                        Well you are right. Vbulletin's site had problems with me and so I downloaded an illegal copy of IPB and it was actually pretty damn good. VB has a lot of catching up to do.
                        lol - can't believe you just said that

Comment

• babolo
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                          lol - can't believe you just said that
                          Well I am trying to warn vbulletin really. I did use IPB 2.1 and it was awsome. Im not going to lie and say it was crap. I don't lie... Well sometimes I do. But I am not leaving vb. I got there backs 100%

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

I wasn't on about you comparing IPB to vB (thats fair enough). I was talking about you saying you download IPB illegally to test on an official vb site.

Thats what I meant when I said "I can't believe you just said that".

Comment

• babolo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                              I wasn't on about you comparing IPB to vB (thats fair enough). I was talking about you saying you download IPB illegally to test on an official vb site.

Thats what I meant when I said "I can't believe you just said that".
                              Oh lol. Like I said I don't lie. And I did change from IPB to vb.

Comment

• Okie
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by babolo
                                Oh lol. Like I said I don't lie. And I did change from IPB to vb.
                                Good i always like people like you who is Honest .. better then 2 face people

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...