X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MGM
    • Aug 2002
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Zachery
    if you are gaming, even with G, go with a wired connection. Its always better.
    I'm going wireless too but I'll be connecting my gaming pc directly to the router with wires (it has 4 ports for wired I believe). It is the best option when it comes to gaming, but for my laptop etc. I dont really care

MGM out

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
      • May 2003
      • 3.6.x

Don't trust wireless at this stage (especially after what techy relative showed what can be found on other folks computers with just a wireless laptop). And with so much radio interference around here, just isn't worth it.

Chris
      "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
      is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
      ~~~
      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Marco
        • Nov 2000
        • 3.8.x

Why are you getting the USB thingy? USB network devices = teh suck. In my experience, anyway.

Wireless isn't that bad, so long as you properly secure your connection with WEP/WPA encryption. But I agree wired will usually give you a faster, more stable and more secure connection.

Comment

• Andrew111888
          • Mar 2003

I have no choice. My computer has to be wireless.

I've just heard that a USB network adapter is a lot better/stable than a network card.

Comment

• Marco
            • Nov 2000
            • 3.8.x

There is something to that, but only for wireless adapters. Ethernet (wired) USB adapters are generally a pretty bad idea; it's true that with USB2.0, there is plenty of bandwidth available, but the problem is there is a lot of CPU power required to make it work (so you'll have that USB network adapter eating away a lot of CPU power). With a PCI card, that's not much of an issue.

With wireless USB network adapters, I think it's a different story, though; and you have the added bonus of being able to reposition the antenna to improve reception somewhat.

Last edited by Marco; Wed 9 Nov '05, 8:52am.

Comment

• Andrew111888
              • Mar 2003

Just placed my online order; I'm picking up my monitor and mouse Saturday afternoon.

Here was my final list:

Thanks for all the help .

Comment

• Marco
                • Nov 2000
                • 3.8.x

You're welcome Good luck with it.

Comment

• Andrew111888
                  • Mar 2003

Thanks .

Now I go crazy waiting for it .

Comment

• MGM
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                    Thanks .

Now I go crazy waiting for it .
                    Heh yea, I went crazy waiting for all the parts for my pc to come here. I kept checking the status on my order like every other day... and originally I was going to build it with my boss but I was so happy when I got it that I built the whole thing in an hour

MGM out

Comment

• Andrew111888
                      • Mar 2003

I received my parts in the mail yesterday.

It took me and my friend 5.5 hours to put together, but it's working. We're installing Windows and such today.

I have to say, I can't recommend that case to anyone. The "toolless" design is probably the biggest pain in the ass I've ever encountered. Not to mention the audio plugs on the case don't match the ones on the Motherboard (despite what the case book says), so I still have a few unplugged audio plugs.

Other than the above, I was happy.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                        • Jun 2002

It took me and my friend 5.5 hours to put together, but it's working. We're installing Windows and such today.

I have to say, I can't recommend that case to anyone. The "toolless" design is probably the biggest pain in the ass I've ever encountered. Not to mention the audio plugs on the case don't match the ones on the Motherboard (despite what the case book says), so I still have a few unplugged audio plugs.

Motherboards today come with their own faceplate. Go dig through the accessories your motherboard has and find that faceplate.
                        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                          • May 2003
                          • 3.6.x

If you're referring to re-routing the audio from the rear to the front of the case, you'll usually have to do some hunting and pecking to find their order. Some of the cases they come in like 12 tiny plugs, with nothing but the voltage number and if it's positive or negative (and the motherboard manual has NOTHING about hooking it up) to make heads or tails of their placement.

But glad to hear you got your new toy.

Chris
                          "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                          is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                          ~~~
                          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• MGM
                            • Aug 2002
                            • 3.6.x

Congrats on your new pc... 5.5 hours? Wow, thats a lot of time, did something go wrong half way through Either way, good job on completing it and have fun with your new pc... let me know what you think of Half Life 2

MGM out

Comment

• Vile
                              • Jul 2002
                              • 3.6.x

I have no choice. My computer has to be wireless.

I've just heard that a USB network adapter is a lot better/stable than a network card.
                              BTW, if you want better speeds via your wireless, *disable* WEP/WPA and use MAC ID instead...Not only will this make the wireless network faster than having WEP enabled, but it's also more secure.
                              Webmaster / Administrator
                              www.MegaGames.com
                              www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Andrew111888
                                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by MGM
                                Congrats on your new pc... 5.5 hours? Wow, thats a lot of time, did something go wrong half way through Either way, good job on completing it and have fun with your new pc... let me know what you think of Half Life 2

MGM out
                                We spent an hour attempting to plug all of the GND, LED, LINE L/R, EAR L/R, and so forth plugs from the case to the motherboard (the documentation wasn't matching and even now we're still not 100% sure as the LINE L/R are currently just hanging around in the case).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...