• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

install RH 6.2 on Win98SE ?

i just got back my other repaired pc from the shops after months in and out of repair and want to install red hat linux 6.2 on my Windows 98SE system so i can mess around with installing and configuring apache/php/mysql etc

from http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linu...edhat-6.2/iso/

i think i'm downloading the right file for installing via cd-rom /harddrive ?

do i need

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linu...at-6.2-doc.iso as well ?

the redhat.com site install is kinda of confusing hehe... any more simplistic install instructions available on the net ?
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]
  • h4p3
    • Apr 2001

That is the right ISO: redhat-6.2-i386.iso

http://www.redhat.com/support/manual...install-guide/ - has everything you need

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

thanks but that's the manual that i am referring to as confusing and too much to digest hehe

i found a local Aussie site www.linuxathome.net

btw, check out this mod for installing a LCD screen on your home pc running linux - http://www.cableusers.com.au/linuxat...ew_lcd01.shtml

:: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• h4p3
        • Apr 2001

Hehe! That's great! haha

Comment

• freehtml
          • Apr 2001
          • 4.1.x

Lastest R.H 7.1

The latest Red Hat 7.1 is out . Mandrake 8.0 is out too
          iHu6.com (BETA) - www.ihu6.com

Comment

• Kier
            Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
            • Sep 2000

Redhat 7 has lots of problematic issues... I would wait a while before moving on.

Comment

• etones
              • Sep 2000

George.. I see your doing the same as me

hehe...
              http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • May 2000
                • 1.1.x

That load screen is the same old cheeky linux humor from way back when.

I remember when I had to update my kernel as soon as possible when a new version was released. Then one had to race to paste their uname -a out to the irc channel... (this was maybe 6-7 years ago). My kernel builds only took more than an hour on a 486 with 5 megs of ram. Best way to test your system for stability though (I was overclocked from a 486-25 to a 486-40 btw!).

Comment

• George L
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • May 2000
                  • 3.8.x

hehe yup etones

486s woah

hmmm i think i copied the iso image file to my CD-R wrongly it comes up as a iso file ?

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • May 2000
                    • 1.1.x

.iso is just an image, you have to use something like Cd creator to burn it or convert it to another format such as cue/bin and use fireburner/cdrwin.

Comment

• George L
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • May 2000
                      • 3.8.x

ah got it had to waste another cd-r disk and use Easy CD with creat CD from ISO image option

okay i repartitioned my drive and it looks like this

c: 7.55gb - Win98 FAT32
                      d: 2.14gb FAT32 starting from cyclinder 986
                      e: 2.14gb FAT32
                      f: 2.14 gb FAT32
                      g: cd-rw drive
                      h: cd-rom drive

I used partition magic 6.01

so if i want to mess around with apache/mysql/php and other web server stuff i need to install RH as a web server and not a work station ?

can i dual boot between a web server install of RH and Win 98SE ?

Comment

• h4p3
                        • Apr 2001

Yep!

Comment

• George L
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • May 2000
                          • 3.8.x

horay got it installed finally but decided to boot linux from boot disk instead

now i need to figure out how to connect to the net and get the source files for apache 1.3.19, php 4.05, mysql 3.23.37, postgresql 7.2, sysbase ase 11.0.3.3

Comment

• Limey
                            • Mar 2001

Originally posted by h4p3
                            Yep!
                            Thats not true. You can install any version of any linux (pretty much) whether it be the webserver, desktop, or workstation setup, and just select the apache, mysql, php, perl packages.

Of course you can pick and choose whatever you want. You could even install a webserver out of a floppy distro.

So don't worry about installing workstation or webserver, because you can actually use linux as your dekstop you know too Then later install the packages just the same which would give you a better understanding of it anyways, plus you will have to upgrade because most distros never come out with the newest version of apache/mysql/php

Comment

• George L
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • May 2000
                              • 3.8.x

well i had a nightmare 6 hrs of figuring out how to upgrade RH 6.2's standard apache 1.3.12/php3.05 installation to Apache 1.3.19, PHP 4.05 and MySQL 3.23.37

how stressful trying to figure out all the paths and i ended up getting PHP 4.05 and MySQL 3.23.37 installed but Apache 1.3.19 after getting compiled remained as 1.3.12

now i managed to loose the graphic gui when i boot into Linux as well

anyone know how to get that back - the GUI log in ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...