• Show
Clear All
  • Dude111
    Banned
    • Sep 2005

Teacher Mistakes Boy's Insulin Pump For Phone, Rips It Out

POSTED: 4:24 pm EDT October 4, 2005
    UPDATED: 12:58 pm EDT October 5, 2005

CLERMONT, Fla. -- A substitute teacher in Lake County, Fla., was terminated and banned from teaching in the county after he ripped out a student's insulin pump during class apparently thinking it was a ringing cell phone, according to a Local 6 News report.

Officials said a ninth-grade student at East Ridge High School, who is a Type I diabetic, was in class Monday when his insulin pump began to beep, indicating he was low on insulin.

Witnesses said the class teacher, Richard Maline, 51, asked the student what the beeping was.

School officials said Maline then grabbed the device, thinking it was a cell phone beeping and detached the tube that connects the insulin pump to the student's leg.

The student went to the school's clinic and had the tube reinserted.
    --snip--

The page you're trying to access could not be found or is no longer available.

What kind of Idiots are schools hiring these days??
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Not a teacher, but a substitute... -_-"

Even then....unacceptable..
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Sam Granger
      • Nov 2003

Thats pretty messed up.

Comment

• free thinker
        • May 2005

A grown man should know better.

But that's what you get with the predominantly left-leaning 'motard-like' persons running the schools...LOL

*runs from crap storm*

Edited to replace the word "motards" with "motard-like persons", so as to avoid name-calling...by FT.
        Last edited by free thinker; Thu 6 Oct '05, 2:20am.

Comment

• MrNase
          • Jun 2003
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          Not a teacher, but a substitute... -_-"

Even then....unacceptable..
          AGREE!! A friend of mine has an Insulin Pump - I can't be mistaken as a phone
          That's the end of that!

Comment

• Lenni
            • Aug 2004
            • 3.6.x

that, i believe you!!!
            selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• MGM
              • Aug 2002
              • 3.6.x

I can understand the misconception he had. The teacher asked the student what it was, either the student did not answer or the teacher did not give the student enough time to answer. Either way, I dont think it's his fault. Simply miscommunication on both their parts.

If anything, I'd blame that school for having such strict phone rules (like my high school did). HAD it been a phone, what right does the school have in telling a student not to have it in case of emergencies?

MGM out

Comment

• Bema Jinn
                • Mar 2003

If i had diabetes, i wouldn't want to announce it in class, and definitely not under those cercumstances.

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

I personally cannot blame everything on this teacher.
                  I believe the school is at fault to a certain extent, was he made aware of the fact that certain students in his classes may have special needs? If not how could he have known? Did the boy anwser him if at all?

While I believe his reaction was overkill I really can't put all the blame on him.

Comment

• MrNase
                    • Jun 2003
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Bema Jinn
                    If i had diabetes, i wouldn't want to announce it in class, and definitely not under those cercumstances.
                    Why? It's nothing to feel ashamed of
                    That's the end of that!

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                      • Jun 2002

Still, I think the sub could have handled the situation a lot better... such as pulling the student aside and asking what's going on.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Bema Jinn
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by MrNase
                        Why? It's nothing to feel ashamed of
                        I have asthma, while i'm not ashamed of it and don't try to hide it, but i don't exactly advertise it to everybody.

Comment

• Static-xbox
                          • Dec 2001
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Bema Jinn
                          That's a bit closed minded, isn't it?

I'm a diabetic, and I use an insulin pump...when I was in High School just about everyone knew about both, and it really isn't that big of a deal. Diabetes is something you have no real control over (type 1, at least), and it's not really that big of a deal...so what if someone knows?

Anyway, I think the substitute was out of line going as far as to pull the tubing out. No matter what the circumstances are, if you pull on a pump, you can see there's tubing attached, which typically leads underneath clothing ...anyone in their right mind would know to question something like that, not just pull on it until it comes loose. The student should also have been quick enough to respond to the teacher, so realistically, the blame falls on both of them...

Comment

• Bema Jinn
                            • Mar 2003

Why is it closed minded?

like i said in my post above, i wouldn't advertise the fact i had asthma, even though it's not a secret.

I guess some people are just different like that.

Comment

• Andrew111888
                              • Mar 2003

I don't understand how any blame can be placed on the student. If you failed to answer or answer quickly enough in relation to a phone, should yanking it away from someone be your automatic response? Not at all.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...