X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zonex
    • Dec 2004

Pledge of allegiance ruled unconstitutional

Looks like it isn't over yet. Lets hope the Supreme Court comes to their senses and puts the pledge back how it was!

Talking to a few UK friends, they cant believe we even have to recite that thing every day in school.
  • free thinker
    • May 2005

I'm not an athiest, but I have agreed for-the-longest-time, that God has no place in the public schools. We really, as a society, should not be forcing our beliefs onto others or vice versa.

If people want to wallow in their dark, lonely, godless place then we should let them. LOL

Comment

• Andrew111888
      • Mar 2003

People that take things like this to this level need to get off their ass and find a new direction in life -- preferably one that's not a complete waste.

They don't seem to have any problem using money that says "in God we trust" on it.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

Not this again.... (groans)..Leave the pledge as how it is...

The arguments that people are being forced to say Under God...UGH...doesn't hold water.

Here's a test:

Say "under God"

I can't make you; its a conscious decision.

I don't see why we have to become a country that acknowledges atheism when we can't acknowledge other religions. Why does atheism have to become the official religion
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Zonex
          • Dec 2004

official religion? thats the whole point
          dont stop with the pledge i say, take that stuff off our currency
          take a look at british money... http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...ons/money.html

they even have one with charles darwin
          can u imagine charles darwin on a $5 dollar bill in the states?

Comment

• Andrew111888
            • Mar 2003

Why do you even care? Seriously? How does "in God we trust" on our currency have ANY affect on your daily life?

I sincerely hope no one wakes up in the morning and says to themselves "Man, I really wish America would remove 'in God we trust' from our currency. That's just completely and totally wrong."

Comment

• Zonex
              • Dec 2004

believe it or not, its extremely offensive to me and millions of others
              imagine if our currency said, in Satan we trust? would u find it offensive?
              it's the same thing

Comment

• Ace
                • Apr 2004
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zonex
                it's the same thing
                Chuck Jack Black's head on there, and you have yourself a winner!
                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Andrew111888
                  • Mar 2003

Probably not, no.

I don't care what it says. It could say "Andrew Blanning is a complete douche bag" for all I care... it serves the same purpose regardless.

I think if it's "extremely offensive" to you, you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your priorities and life in general.

Comment

It doesn't really bother me ethor way, personaly I will still say 'under god' because I am used to it. I don't belive in god, but I do belive in preserving a phrase that is a big part of our history.

I mainly just hate the guy that started all of this, and instead of making a long post I'll just link to a page that I agree with a quote a bit of text from it .

What pisses me off about hippies like Newdow, is that they'll ***** and moan about semantics on currency and government documents, but you never hear them complain that they don't get to work on Christmas. Why? If his whole beef with the Pledge of Allegiance is that the phrase "under God" violates separation of church and state, then why isn't he making a fuss about our government observing Christmas? Christmas is a religious holiday, and since our government observes it, how is that separation of church and state? Why isn't he *****ing about that? I'll tell you why. Because Christmas gives him paid vacation, and hippies like Newdow only ***** about "grand sweeping problems with society" as long as it doesn't inconvenience them.

Comment

• Zonex
                      • Dec 2004

its not a big part of our history
                      under god was added in the 50's as a counter to "godless communism"
                      the same period as mccarthy

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                        • Jun 2002

official religion? thats the whole point
                        dont stop with the pledge i say, take that stuff off our currency
                        take a look at british money... http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...ons/money.html

they even have one with charles darwin
                        can u imagine charles darwin on a $5 dollar bill in the states?
                        God == Any God. It doesn't say a Christian God. It doesn't say Muhammed. It just means a God.

By removing God from the pledge of allegiance, it effective signifies we believe in no God, meaning we believe in Atheism. Why should we all subject ourselves to atheism when majority of the population belives in the existance of a God?

If you do indeed remove "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, you effectively start violating the constitution guarenteeing no official religion. Putting God in the pledge doesn't mean you are endorsing one God over another. Removing it does mean you endorse no God.
                        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Chris M
                          • Apr 2002
                          • 3.6.x

it's the same thing
                          I would be disturbed that Americans had trust in me

Satan

Comment

• filburt1
                            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                            God == Any God. It doesn't say a Christian God. It doesn't say Muhammed. It just means a God.

By removing God from the pledge of allegiance, it effective signifies we believe in no God, meaning we believe in Atheism. Why should we all subject ourselves to atheism when majority of the population belives in the existance of a God?
                            The country was founded specifically with religious persecution in mind. Atheism is a choice others make and it must also be respected just like any other religion. Even if only one person is persecuted through oppression or forced beliefs, it is still unconstitutional by the definition and cannot possibly be interpreted any other way.

I personally find it ridiculous that the pledge is required at all...students every day are devoting their lives to the country without knowing they're saying it.

Originally posted by hellsatan
                            I would be disturbed that Americans had trust in me

Satan
                            Don't worry, I won't let that happen. This constitution thing has limits.
                            Originally posted by Andrew111888
                            Why do you even care? Seriously? How does "in God we trust" on our currency have ANY affect on your daily life?
                            The issue is that the government should not be infused with religion in any form, not as much as some people find it offensive.

Yes, technically it says in the First Amendment:
                            Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion
                            ...but "Congress" and "law" are technicalities for the spirit (irony) of the law: the government is independent entirely from religion.

Except for where I directly gave my opinion, I'm staying neutral in this thread, only pointing out arguments to the quoted statements. I wll not entertain quotes of my post, sorry...I refuse to be drawn into political debates online.
                            Last edited by filburt1; Wed 14 Sep '05, 3:24pm.
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                              • Jun 2002

That's totally understandable Filburt, that atheism is a choice some people make. However I disagree strongly that we need to take an atheistic approach for this country and support them by not labeling God anywhere. I find that offensive as that supresses Muslims, Christians, Catholics, Judaism from expressing their forms of religion, yet Atheists can freely express it. That's just not acceptable.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...