Which vB version do you personally prefer... ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave#
    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Zachery
    I think it should cope better, esp with the filecache which should help with some larger querys to the datastore.
    damned by faint praise
    http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• weirdpixels
      • Aug 2003

I voted for 3.5, got to love the plug-in system, so much easier now when upgrading
      http://www.weirdpixels.com/images/buttons/button.gif

Comment

• sensimilla
        • Sep 2004
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MGM
        The button set is the only drawback in my eyes. But luckily, they can be changed somewhat easily (making them takes a while, since there are so many)

MGM out
        I agree.. but theres a good thing in this,
        I can make my board look much better than eny other just by changing buttons set LOL

Lets leave them default as they are..

vb 3.5 series are unbelievable, voted
        StylWolny.pl - Polskie Forum Dyskusyjne | guziki wieszaki producent - Bonetti.pl
        Join Tattoo Group Now

Comment

• Zero Tolerance
          • Feb 2004
          • 3.6.x

3.5 for me, the reason is simple really, my users love it, and that's the only requirement for me, pleasing the users is the prime objective

- Zero Tolerance

Comment

• Dude111
            Banned
            • Sep 2005

If i ran a site it would be on 3.0.7 because almost all 3.5 sites im on have issues it seems (They lag,freeze,etc.....(Not all the times,but 3.0.9 and lower load so much faster most of the time (FOR ME ANYWAY)))

Maybe its cause i dont have much ram,i dunno....(I know 3.5 is much more demanding in resources then the earlier ones were)

VBulletin

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

The plugin system and architecture of vBulletin 3.5 alone make it worthwhile. The rest is easily editable.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Creepshow
                • May 2005
                • 3.5.x

This thread is Godly.
                "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Dude111
                  If i ran a site it would be on 3.0.7 because almost all 3.5 sites im on have issues it seems (They lag,freeze,etc.....(Not all the times,but 3.0.9 and lower load so much faster most of the time (FOR ME ANYWAY)))

Maybe its cause i dont have much ram,i dunno....(I know 3.5 is much more demanding in resources then the earlier ones were)

VBulletin
                  I know what you mean, I decided to stay with 3.0 series after testing 3.5. vB 3.0 just seems to be supported better right now on most servers much better than vB 3.5. Which just has too many new features for me that not all servers out there are giving full support for like ImageMagick 6 and the way the font's have to be compiled. Already tried tow servers were it wouldn't work. With one of them being "asmallorange" using vb3.5.2. Plus I'm not really a fan of AJAX either and the fact is uses Java script which as already pointed out can be a bit doggy across different browsers.

To many new features for me that seem a little experimental right now.

Comment

• cbiweb
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                    ...I'm not really a fan of AJAX either and the fact is uses Java script which as already pointed out can be a bit doggy across different browsers.
                    But... AJAX can be turned off. And for those who have javascript turned off, the forums degrade nicely, with everything still working. I don't think AJAX and javascript are very good reasons to not use 3.5.x.
                    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• zappsan
                      • Sep 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Couldn't live without AJAX and Inline Moderation^^
                      *Insert text here* :)

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                        For example, my host has just setup there own support forum. I pointed things out to them that would benefit them as a host like offering eAccelerator and FastCGI on there shared host (pointing out that asmallorange) do this as default on all shared host account and there booming in trade.

I also explained to them that vBulletin is the most used forum board and they should give a much more better support for vB users if they want there company to grow better and cater for vB board users looking for a host. Sending them here to read up on vB after it became quite obvious they knew nothing really about vB. Also telling them that there current version on ImageMagick 5 would not work with the latest version of vBulletin. I told them all this for there own best interest and mine also as a person hosted with them.

But I was quite amazed at there ignorance really of vBulletin and how they showed themselves to be a typical example of a one minded phpBB server host. Who didn't really give much thought for better forum boards like vBulletin in catering for it better.
                        Just because alot of webhosts are ignorant on a larger scale doesn't mean that vBulletin takes more load.

Alot of hosts are just kids who thought lets charge 1 dollars and give away tons of space, then everyone will buy from us, and then we can say they are abusing their resouirces and kick them off!

Comment

• Dave#
                          • Jul 2000

Just because alot of webhosts are ignorant on a larger scale doesn't mean that vBulletin takes more load.
                          What totally pisses me off is that VB staff have no clue how VB3 or VB3.5 performs compared to other versions of the software. There are loads of contradictory statements and clueless postings all the time. The guys I have more respect for are quiet and never commit to a definitive yes or no on metrics.

Really frustrated.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

I've not seen any massive inverse change in loads on my server, so far the preformance is about the same. I haven't done any real benchmarks, nor do I have any plans to at this time (this is a personal statment).

Comment

• Dave#
                              • Jul 2000

I've not seen any massive inverse change in loads on my server, so far the preformance is about the same. I haven't done any real benchmarks, nor do I have any plans to at this time (this is a personal statment).
                              I think wikipedia has a new definition of FUD

Comment

• V-Dub
                                • Nov 2005

3.0, since that's the one I know.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...