Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onimua
    • Apr 2005

Strange Beeping Noise form Monitor

Okay, not really sure what it is... but there is an annoying "beeping" sound coming from my monitor. It's high-pitched, and happens more and more frequently, and I'm unsure what causes it.

I have had the computer for about two years now I think, and use it constantly (so it's rarely off). No idea what is causing it, but when I turn off the monitor and turn it back on, it rarely goes away, except when I do it while viewing a very dark site.

Does this mean that my monitor is dying or what? I'm not sure how to describe it, and not really a computer-minded computer, so any help would be nice. Thanks.
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.
  • RagingPenguin
    • Apr 2004

The only time I've ever experienced this was right before one of the main capacitors blew in my old 19". Get it checked out.

Comment

• filburt1
      • Feb 2002

A friend of mine at work has a 21" Dell (obviously branded) CRT. At 60 Hz and some resolutions, it would make an incredibly annoying high-pitched constant whine. I'm sure that monitor is on the brink of death. You might want to start looking around for a new monitor; a 17" LCD and harder so a 19" LCD can be bought for $200 now. I bought my Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD monitor for $464 back in the good old days when Dell offered monitor coupons.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Onimua
        • Apr 2005

That's what I was afraid of hearing... *sigh* Thanks to you both. Which kind of monitor would be good and long-lasting?

Comment

• filburt1
          • Feb 2002

CRT or LCD? For gaming? Price range?

A 17" LCD fits most user's needs: low power, usually fast enough pixel response for moderate gaming, and still getting cheaper. A 19" LCD has similar attributes but the same resolution as a 17" LCD, so unless you want bigger pixels, a 17" is usually better.

Comment

• Onimua
            • Apr 2005

LCD looks like it, and probably something no more than $200 if I can help it. I'll be using the computer for mainly webdesign and stuff, probably some gaming if that plays into the monitor chois. I am planning on getting a new computer, but not any time soon.

Comment

• Mac Write
              • Oct 2001
              • 4.2.x

I have a Sony 17 200sf I bought on Friday December 14, 1996. Still works perfectly today (odd flicker here and there since 99'). Still my only monitor (Apple 23" is my next display but min 2 years from now (wait for it to be $1,300 or less Canadian). I paid $1,125+tax Canadian for it (got a good deal, normally $1,400+ at the time, not sure on US price would like to know actually).

Comment

• RagingPenguin
                • Apr 2004

Interestingly enough, my 150 buck CompUSA monitor is still working like a champ after 5 years. Color, refresh and controls are all decent.

Comment

• filburt1
                  • Feb 2002

The Dell 1704FPV can be had for $230 with free shipping, no rebates (coupon code "8$FT$Q5ZXC8G16"). It has an integrated USB hub and a ridiculously high and probaby exaggerated 1000:1 contrast ratio, a necessary DVI connection, and an expected 1280 x 1024 resolution. It also uses a lovely 65 W of power; my 2001FP uses a strangely high 90 W. I was actually going to get a derivation of this monitor, the 1704FPT, until I caved in and changed my order to the 2001FP. Definitely worth it.

Comment

• Zonex
                    • Dec 2004

think i had one do that before it died

Comment

• KingSpade
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.5.x

So far, my 4 CRT monitors are all working. Samsung and Proview have been good to me, not to mention the Mitsubishi one I have, all 17" and all under were bought under $100 . It's good to know people at Best Buy and other retail stores.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...