Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TalkMilitary
    • Mar 2003

My vB forum: Military Coverage of Military Response to Hurricane Katrina

No, not a commercial site. A personal site for Military News. The press has their angle and goals. Mine is simple, to present the work the Military does.

Military Response to Hurricane Katrina. Two formats:
    1. Coverage until Friday in one thread: http://www.talkmilitary.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=2001
    2. Coverage to date in individual posts (last three or so posts are Overviews) : http://www.talkmilitary.com/forums/f...play.php?f=173
    I am postng this in the event that some want to see some reports that do not generally make it to the main stream media. It just does not help ratings.

My thoughts go out to those that live in the area, or have family and/or friends there.
    Last edited by TalkMilitary; Sat 3 Sep '05, 12:36pm.
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Good luck with the web site!

Comment

• Martin
      • Apr 2000
      • 3.5.x

Good job. If people can't put aside their political differences to thank these people who are stepping into the breach for people they don't know...
      Webmaster:
      @forumz

Comment

• Dave#
        • Jul 2000

Now thats opportunism
        http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• TalkMilitary
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dave#
          Now thats opportunism
          Please explain...
          Thanks.

Comment

• Dave#
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by sb-host
            Please explain...
            Thanks.

op·por·tun·ist Audio pronunciation of "opportunism" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-tnst, -ty-)
            n.

One who takes advantage of any opportunity to achieve an end, often with no regard for principles or consequences.

oppor·tunism n.

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
            Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
            Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
            Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

opportunism

n : taking advantage of opportunities without regard for the consequences for others [syn: self-interest, self-seeking, expedience]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University
            http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• TalkMilitary
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dave#
              I know the definition, just not sure why you think I am somehow taking advantage of the situation.

My site has presented Military news and information for quite some time now. I do not profit from presenting the news.

As a fomer Soldier, I noticed the lack of good coverage about the Military and the individuals serving. I strive to present information about what the Military is doing, as well as provide information relevant to those serving and their families/friends. The press covers their angle, I cover mine.

Either way, I am very comfortable in what I do. The responses I get about the site are usually very positive and make it very worth while.

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
                Banned
                • Mar 2004
                • 3.6.x

I know the definition, just not sure why you think I am somehow taking advantage of the situation.

My site has presented Military news and information for quite some time now. I do not profit from presenting the news.

As a fomer Soldier, I noticed the lack of good coverage about the Military and the individuals serving. I strive to present information about what the Military is doing, as well as provide information relevant to those serving and their families/friends. The press covers their angle, I cover mine.

Either way, I am very comfortable in what I do. The responses I get about the site are usually very positive and make it very worth while.
                I love your site man. People just got to try to incite arguement on here or something. Just let it go and let them be angry with themselves or something, I dunno what their deal is.

Your site is awsome and I appreciate the link.

Comment

• TalkMilitary
                  • Mar 2003

Thanks for your comments Brent. Much appreciated.
                  Glenn

Comment

• Kathy
                    • May 2000
                    • 3.8.x

Thank you sb-host. I appreciate the link and the added news of the military. I appreciate being able to see how our men in uniform step into all situations to help others.

And thank you for serving our nation as a uniformed military man. From one who enjoys her freedoms, I know these rights are not free. Thank you from the bottom of my Texan heart.
                    Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• TalkMilitary
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Kathy
                      Thank you sb-host. I appreciate the link and the added news of the military. I appreciate being able to see how our men in uniform step into all situations to help others.

And thank you for serving our nation as a uniformed military man. From one who enjoys her freedoms, I know these rights are not free. Thank you from the bottom of my Texan heart.
                      Thanks Kathy.

I am likewise impressed with the very warm hearts of Texans and others that are welcoming those affected by the hurricane. The good news I see is great stuff.
                      Glenn

Comment

• RagingPenguin
                        • Apr 2004

I've given the site a good staring and, as a former USAF recruit, I give it a good thumbs up. Topics are well controlled in addition to being informative and accurate. More power to you.

[edit]

There is one thing. In the first post of the first thread you linked to, the links it contains have no domain in them. They are just the protocal and file with params.

http://showthread.php?...
                        Last edited by RagingPenguin; Sun 4 Sep '05, 12:30pm.

Comment

• TalkMilitary
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by RagingPenguin
                          I've given the site a good staring and, as a former USAF recruit, I give it a good thumbs up. Topics are well controlled in addition to being informative and accurate. More power to you.

[edit]

There is one thing. In the first post of the first thread you linked to, the links it contains have no domain in them. They are just the protocal and file with params.

http://showthread.php?...
                          Thank you for your comments, and your service.

You are correct, those links are busted, I will fix them up right quick. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess my "copy and paste" from the Archive was not such a swift idea... It looked like an easy way to index the articles, but easy is not always best.
                          Glenn

Comment

• free thinker
                            • May 2005

Exactly...don't take it personal SB...you are doing a fine job. Some people just like to take our their repressed erotic feelings in little-petty-rude ways...

Comment

• TalkMilitary
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by free thinker
                              Exactly...don't take it personal SB...you are doing a fine job. Some people just like to take our their repressed erotic feelings in little-petty-rude ways...
                              Thank you for your comments. I do not take it personally, I have better things to do.
                              Glenn

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...