Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

Disaster Response Training

This was posted at another forum I occassionally frequent and thought this was worth sharing given the recent events related to the hurricane.

by: John Galt

Insofar as there has been a lot of discussion about the recent disaster in the South, I thought that people might have an interest in learning more about how they can become prepared for a disaster in their area.

Here are some links:

The Emergency Management Institute's Mission: To support the Department of Homeland Security and FEMA’s goals by improving the competencies of the U.S. officials in Emergency Management at all levels of government to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate the potential effects of all types of disasters and emergencies on the American people.

The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) is the national association for amateur radio, connecting hams around the U.S. with news, information and resources.

==========

Following a major disaster or emergency, public safety personnel may not be able to meet all of the demands for services required. Factors such as number of victims, communication failures, and road blockages will prevent people from accessing emergency services they have come to expect at a moment’s notice via “911.” It is also expected that under disaster circumstances, people will spontaneously try to help each other. Such was the case following the Mexico City earthquake where untrained, spontaneous volunteers saved 800 people, however, 100 people lost their lives while attempting to save others. This is a high price to pay and is preventable through training. If we can predict that emergency services may not be able to meet immediate needs following a major disaster and that people will spontaneously volunteer, what can be done to prepare a group of citizens for this eventuality?

CERT!

The Community Emergency Response Team concept was developed and implemented in Los Angeles, California. The Federal Emergency Management Agency recognizing the importance of the program has adopted and expanded the CERT materials to cover all hazards. The individual taking this course will benefit by being better prepared to respond to and cope with the aftermath of a disaster. The CERT training is advantageous not only to individuals but to community groups, businesses and civic associations as well.

Training is offered at two levels. The basic CERT program consists of 16 hours and is available to those civilians requesting the skills necessary to be a successful part of emergency preparedness and response in order to assist during the first 72 hours following a disaster. The basic program focuses on becoming self sufficient after a disaster, community preparedness and incorporates lectures, video training, hands on skills training and exercises in areas such as light search and rescue operations, damage assessment, fire suppression, psychology of disasters, disaster medical operations, etc.

The advanced CERT program consists of 40 hours, taken almost exclusively by emergency service personnel which not only expands their education but, familiarizes them with the CERT training and also shows them exactly how CERT’s can be utilized, having gone through the training with them. The advanced training consists of the basic 16 hour CERT core curriculum program and the following modules: 8 hours of Emergency Response to Terrorism, 4 hours of Hazardous Materials Awareness, 4 hours of Structural Collapse Operations Awareness and 8 hours of First Aid/CPR. Those emergency service personnel having current certification in any of the advanced modules may be granted a waiver. Certificates are issued for successful completion of both the 16 and 40 hour programs. Classes are usually held in 8 hour modules and may also be tailored to certain groups.

The CERT Task Force is comprised of numerous certified CERT teams that can provide mutual aid and assist each other in times of disaster or emergency if called upon to do so.

Instructors for the CERT training program consist of those from the fire, military, search and rescue and law enforcement community. Materials are required for the course and a small fee is required for those that do not have the required equipment (hard hat, crescent wrench, safety vest, goggles, gloves, fire extinguisher, etc.) which will be used during the sessions. By doing this for each session, participants are also building a disaster response kit of items that they will need and use during a disaster.

CERT is about readiness, people helping people, rescuer safety, and doing the greatest good for the greatest number of people. CERT is a positive and realistic approach to emergency and disaster situations where citizens may be initially on their own and, their actions can make a difference. Through training, you will be able to manage emergencies and organize spontaneous volunteers to be effective.

==========

I have taken nearly all these classes and I have taught many of them in my local area. They are quality programs, comprehensive in scope and cover the issues in depth.

It is to YOUR advantage, and your communities, to take classes such as these and prepare yourself so that you do not have to suffer like the people in New Orleans are now.

Plan, Do, Check, Act!
  • Onimua
    • Apr 2005

I love how people start dowing this now after they realize, "Oh my... people were unprepared!"

I honestly have no idea why people wait to have a good reason like Katrina's aftermath to get up and do something.
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
      • Sep 2001

I think part of it is that people don't know these types of programs are available or where to find it if they are.

As for me personally, I didnt know the programs above were available. I have been wanting to become first aid certified for the same reasons for being able to help out and do something if the situation arrises.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• free thinker
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Onimua
        I love how people start dowing this now after they realize, "Oh my... people were unprepared!"

I honestly have no idea why people wait to have a good reason like Katrina's aftermath to get up and do something.
        Wondering "why" can make you go crazy. I gave up on "why" a long time ago. I tend to concentrate, now, on "what"...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...