XEDHost Being Sued

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

Since they have threatend to sue you, you are legally able to take them to court pro-actively and file for them to show cause. This may really **** them over if your local court is half way across the country.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Shentler
      damn ... i had deleted the account already
      As long as you were not requested by them to retain those details, that's not a big problem. As a hosting provider I am sure you have daily or weekly backups?

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
        Tell him to go ahead and sue you. Also point out that they probably won't survive that long in a court of law considering they would need to admit that they were distributors of pirated software. They would be thrown out of the court so fast, plus they potentially open up themselves to having their butts sued instead

A confession like that only benefits you
        Well, if you're in court for one thing they can't throw you out because of something else, that other suit has to be handled at another time and place. Though I doubt that will ever happen, because I don't think you will sue them for using your services to distribute software. The software companies might .. your only actions are to act as a provider to suspend their accounts either temp or perm - and as that is up to you and probably (hopefully) noted in a policy, you have legally covered yourself.

Your policy probably won't include that when an account is suspended or deleted that you will retain any data and it will probably include that you're not responsible for any data loss, and that they are responsible for their own backups. And you can assist in that through provider a control panel or permission to run phpmyadmin and ftp access to create a proper backup.

They have no case of course. It is just big talk.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
          • Feb 2005
          • 1.1.x

Is that person really a host provider or a reseller? He/she said host but then I guess he/she is new to seen.

Comment

• KimmiKat
            • Jul 2003

He/she should go over to webhostingtalk.com and ask about this too.
            Kim

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...