Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BabyU
    • Oct 2000

Any advantage to multiple databases?

I'm looking at installing a few additional php scripts and although I know it is not necessary to have additional databases, I wonder if it is advantageous?

I'm thinking of adding a php mailing list program as well as a links database. Would it be in my best interest to have separate databases for these or can I just keep tacking onto the one that I use for VB?

Thanks for any insight!
  • Mark Hewitt
    • Apr 2000
    • 4.1.x

You'll have to make sure that none of your other scripts use the same table names as those used by vBulletin otherwise you'll be in big trouble.
    Motorsport Forums

Comment

• BabyU
      • Oct 2000

yes, I've taken that into consideration and that is probably good reason within itself. But I'm curious if it would cause any performance problems, such as slowing down my forums or any other reasons that I might not be thinking of.

Comment

• JamesUS
        • Aug 2000

There won't really be any noticeable performance problems. In fact, there shouldn't be any at all.

Comment

• BabyU
          • Oct 2000

Thanks to both of you for your input. I appreciate it!~

Comment

• Pingu
            • Jan 2001

Just a thought from a NoNO, but when those databases are used pretty much I guess it's better to have separate ones so there's less chance that the one big one gets corrupted, and if you have separate gets corrupted you still have the others in working order...

But of course I know nothing

Comment

• JamesUS
              • Aug 2000

Yes that's a good point. I personally have 3 MySQL databases from my host and spread all my various bits like forums, adrotator etc across them all.

Comment

• etones
                • Sep 2000

Yep, this is true.

For my main site I split up my databases.

1 for the main site.
                1 for vbulletin
                1 for my adserver

Maybe more to add soon
                http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...