X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bahbah
    • Dec 2001
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by filburt1
    I very strongly agree. vB is like (and in some areas, surpasses) other forum engines in that they are simply far too complex to perform the simplest tasks without staring at the page for minutes on end trying what to do--which nobody does; they leave your site instead. Many people find vB easy to use because they are used for a forum interface, and more so, they are aware of the underlying concepts. Those new to any forum will be completely lost, especially one with so many features besides finding and making posts enabled by default.
    Yes you are right. I have now had to make Captivate movies that show visitors how to a) register b) post a new thread c) post a reply

50,000 members of which a couple of thousand have 0 posts tell a simple and disturbing truth. People don't sign up if they want to just leave - especially when the site is providing a helpful free service.

Comment

• Andrew111888
      • Mar 2003

If my guests are unable to figure out how to register, make a thread, or make a post, that's not the kind of person I'd like to join my forum.

Comment

• bahbah
        • Dec 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Andrew111888
        If my guests are unable to figure out how to register, make a thread, or make a post, that's not the kind of person I'd like to join my forum.
        I know why you say that. But that is a great way to alienate a potential audience.

Comment

• noppid
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
          Its not what we can't do its what we won't do.
          And you wonder why you have to beg for bug reports?

That whole attitude is not very flattering for Jelsoft.
          Computer Help Forum
          An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

• Chroder
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by noppid
            And you wonder why you have to beg for bug reports?

That whole attitude is not very flattering for Jelsoft.
            I'm sure he didn't mean it in a negative way. He's saying they don't include that particular feature because they don't think it would be beneficial. Just like how some crazy suggestions in the suggestion forum won't be included; not because the team cannot do it, but because they will not do it

Comment

Originally posted by Chroder
              I'm sure he didn't mean it in a negative way. He's saying they don't include that particular feature because they don't think it would be beneficial. Just like how some crazy suggestions in the suggestion forum won't be included; not because the team cannot do it, but because they will not do it
              Exactly, there are a great number of suggestions that never see the light of day. The most two common reasons I see for this are.

1) The suggestion would only benifit a small number of the customer base, thus the time spent coding the suggestion would be better spent on something that would benifit more customers

2) There is no possible way to code said suggestion without casuing a lot of server load, some things *are* possible but again would only benifit the small number of people that had the hardware to cope with that extra load.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...