Digital Photography Discussion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

I will go pick that up later today or tomorrow.

Comment

• Kier
      Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
      • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Floris
      Kier, what's the difference between the two lenses? Besides a 500 euro price difference. Is the quality difference worth the 500?

body + 18-55 == € 719
      body + 17-88 == € 1239

note; these are prices from a good-review camera online shop site where they say it is in stock and you can order and pick up in store, and pay when picking up. Other shops in my town and online where I usually buy they ask 2000 or more.
      There really is no comparison between the 18-55mm and the 17-85mm lenses - just because they share some common ground in focal length it doesn't mean that they are similar in other ways.

It's a bit like comparing a BMW to a Lada - the 18-55 is a very cheap lens designed soley to enable people who want an out-of-the-box photographic solution to take pictures with their 400D, 30D etc. It lacks many of the features that have become standard with Canon lenses such as ultrasonic focusing motor, non-rotating front element, full-time manual focusing... The list goes on and on. Look up any of those terms to find out what they mean and why they are important.

In short, with a 400D or 30D your choices for a lens that covers the 'standard' zoom range (taking into account sensor crop factor) are as follows, in order of price and quality:

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
      EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
      EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
      EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
      EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
      EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

I wouldn't even consider the 18-55 unless I were on a seriously tight budget.

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.8.x

If ordered as kit, the 18-55 lense will cost only 60-70€ extra compaired to the body only price, you can't expect much of that.

But they also have a kit with the 17-85: Canon EOS 400D+17-85 Lens+BG-E3 Grip: €1.239,00
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• tgillespie
          • Dec 2002
          • 3.7.x

Quick lens question. Looking for a mid priced zoom.

Canon 70-300 mm EF f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens

or

Canon 70-200 mm EF f/4 L USM Zoom Lens

70-300 has IS, which would be nice as I have not yet mastered shooting without a tripod. Looking to stay below $1000 for a zoom.

Got the 50mm f/1.8. After this, macro is all I have left.
          Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Kier
            • Sep 2000

The 70-200 f/4L is a lovely lens for use outside in decent weather but the non-stabilized f/4 means that it's not much good without a flash or a tripod indoors.

The 70-300IS is also a great lens. The image quality isn't up there with the 70-200f/4L and nor is the build quality, but it's a more flexible lens on the whole.

Some of my friends have the 70-200f/4L, others have the 70-300IS - I really couldn't say which one would be more suitable for your purposes.

One thing to bear in mind is that the 70-200f/4L can take a 1.4TC (the 70-300IS can't), making it a 100-280mm f/5.6 lens, which gives you almost all the reach of the 70-300IS, but without IS that's a definite good-weather lens.

What sort of subject would you be looking at shooting?

Comment

• Razasharp
              • Feb 2005
              • 3.7.x

I've seen some nice photos taken with the 70-200, one of our members has one at www.yoPhotographer.com.

Personally I would always go for a model with IS - but that's just personal preference. As Kier said it really does depend on what you want to use it for.
              What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• MrNase
                • Jun 2003
                • 3.8.x

I bought the EOS 400D Kit (with the EF-S 18-55) last week and I am very happy with it.
                As this is my first digital SLR I'll play around with the kit lense first.

After christmas I'll buy a Tamron AF 55-200mm F4-5,6 Di II which got (considering the price) a very positive rating.
                That's the end of that!

Comment

• tgillespie
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 3.7.x

I'm looking for more of a general purpose lens. I was asked to photograph a graduation a few weeks ago and I found myself racing around the auditorium trying to line up shots. I figured with a bit more reach, I wouldn't have had to move as much. For this instance, I'm sure the 70-300 with the IS would be a better suit. On the other hand, around 80% of the time I have the time and ability to use a tripod, so the image quality of the 70-200 would be nice. Its just the 20 percent thats killing me.

I was looking at some reviews and ran across the Sigma 70-200EX which is f2/8, a bit faster than both of the Canons. Any reason to get it over the 70-300 with IS?
                  Last edited by tgillespie; Thu 20 Dec '07, 11:12am.

Comment

• The_Sisko
                    • Jun 2000

I have a 70-200 4 L. I love it outside on sunny days and hate it indoor every time As long as you have enough light it's perfect, but if you doing a lot of indoor pictures or outdoor pictures with low lights I wouldn't buy it again. I'm going to get a 70-200 2.8 L IS because for my use it is worth the price. I don't know the Sigma 70-200EX but would give it a try if price is ok.
                    The Sisko
                    SciFi-Forum.de

Comment

• Kier
                      • Sep 2000

Nothing beats the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM as far as flexibility goes. Its image quality is also second only to the new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM which is a bit sharper, but the extra stop of light on the f/2.8 more than makes up for that.

However, you do pay dearly for the 70-200f/2.8LIS. At around 3x the price of the 70-200f/4L or the 70-300IS, you have to be very serious or very rich to get it.

Trent, for the situation you describe of shooting indoors in an auditorium, my recommendation would be to get the 70-200mm f/4L AND a Speedlite 430EX hot-shoe flashgun (unless you already have one).

If you can't afford both, get the 430EX first. Nothing adds flexibility to a DSLR more than an external flash with a tilt and swivel head, and when you start to use long lenses indoors they are all but mandatory. When using wider lenses you can start to experiment with bounce flash and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Whaddya think?

Comment

• tgillespie
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 3.7.x

The 430EX is already in the shopping cart. I've been needing this for a while as the 17-88mm f/4 struggles a bit in low light.

My decision now lies between the Canon 70-200mm f/4 $550 and the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 $800.

From what I've read the image quality of the Canon is a step above, but the Sigma will handle low light a bit better with the extra stop. Shooting with the 400d, I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of IQ for a lower ISO setting.

Do I get my first white glass or go Sigma?

Comment

• tgillespie
                          • Dec 2002
                          • 3.7.x

Another quick question.

How often do you guys play with the White Balance. I normally keep it on the automatic mode, but switch it if I am in a certain atmosphere for a while. Doing a few tests tonight, it definitely helps downplay some of the 400D warmth. Just curious if you consider this a setting worth the .5 second it takes to adjust when shooting.

Second question. What are some real world examples of the metering modes? I have been using evaluative, but was just curious if and for what would I use the center and partial. Back lit objects, such as a subject with the sun in background?

Thanks. 430EX and bounce diffuser are on their way. Still deciding on the lens.

Comment

• Kier
                            • Sep 2000

Given the size of the 400D, I'd be inclined to go with the Canon f/4L, as all the f/2.8 lenses are seriously big and heavy, and are not particularly well balanced on the little triple-digit Canon DLSRs. The Canon f/4 also beats all the f/2.8 lenses in sheer image quality, although you should expect to have to send it in to Canon to get the focus calibrated (free under warranty), as they are notorious for being way off straight out of the box.

As far as white balance goes, yes, I am very fussy about getting the colours right. Whenever I'm shooting in any environment, my first shot will be of my WhiBal card. I shoot in RAW with auto white balance on the camera, so that's all I ever need to do, and I can then apply the white balance data to the raw .cr2 files in Canon DPP or Adobe CameraRaw when I come to process them.

Comment

• tgillespie
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 3.7.x

I found a guy selling his 70-200mm f/4 on CraigsList today and asked if I could stop by for a look. After holding the lens, the size sold me. I figure if I go any larger, I wouldn't want to pack it around to random events. He wanted $500 for it used, but I opted for $510 new online.

Is it just a given that I should send the lens into Canon to get calibrated?

Comment

• Radon3k
                                • Nov 2001

For Christmas I was given a Canon Digital Rebel XT (not the XTI), also known as the 350D. I've never had a digital SLR before so I really don't know what I'm doing. I took a few shots on the auto focus mode (it came with the 18-55mm lens, the standard one) on the auto mode but beyond that I'm really not sure what I'm doing. Does anybody either have any tips for me or perhaps some recommended sites for reading? Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...