Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sharg
    • Jun 2000

There will be a storm over the bb world

I just can't wait to see Jelsoft publishing on their website the ENTIRE list of features vb2 has. There are so many, i'm sure it will take several turn to make sure this list doesn't miss any feature.

The BB world will have to face a storm: Vbulletin 2.0 finale release.
  • MattR
    • Jun 2000

Make sure they GZip that page because if not it'll take FOREVER to download!!
    Matt
    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
    Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by mrogish
      Make sure they GZip that page because if not it'll take FOREVER to download!!
      LOL ... i bet ya alot of other bulletin board competitors sites are keeping an eye out for this release too
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Skeptical
        • Oct 2000

The way that vB is going, I don't think any other BB competitor has even a slight chance. I mean seriously...

All this would not have happened if infopop hadn't royally pissed off 50% of their users with ubb Enterprise, then just recently with their ridiculous price hikes.

I just learned from my uncle, who's been doing business for a long while, don't piss off your existing member base. If you say something, keep your word. If you want to charge $500 per license do it upfront. Don't do it later on.

I see that most customers of BB's are very loyal ones. It takes a ton of discouragement/encouragement for them to switch to another competing product. They don't enjoy dealing with completely new installs, new configurations, redesigning, answering user confusion questions, etc... Infopop had a really good thing going for them, too bad they messed it all up.

If Infopop hadn't done what they did, vB would not be the powerhouse it is today. It would have been very toug to compete.

The only thing left now is to port vB to support Oracle, MS SQL, PostGress, Sybase, etc... Once you do that the big bucks will start to roll in like water.

Go vB!!
        Last edited by Skeptical; Thu 19 Apr '01, 1:08am.
        Well, there it is.
        - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

actually i think vB would of still won if UBB didn't do the pricing hike...

almost 12 months ago i was faced with a choice between a well known UBB vs vB and i choose vB after trialing both of them

vB just wins as it's better
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Pingu
            • Jan 2001

Well, we also looked at phpBB, or what was it's name. Installed it and played with it for a few weeks, and then we got to the same conclusion: nice, but it lacks soul...

The choice then was between UBB and vBulletin and UBB lost dearly because of all that Infopop stuff.

So vBulletin it was, and is, and will be forever I guess

Comment

• Zef Hemel
              • Jan 2001

Please make sure this won't get feature bloated

Comment

• JB007
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by John Harrison
                Still UBB has a load more hacks then phpBB and vBulletin as its been around the longest out of the three that exist.
                That's because vBulletin has almost all the features so it does not require too much hacking

Comment

• JohnM
                  • May 2000

exactly. almost every popular UBB hack comes standard in vB.

Comment

• wert
                    • Feb 2001

Originally posted by John Harrison

Winner: vBulletin on everything!

*These views are my own and not those of Jelsoft/vBulletin or anybody else*
                    I wasn't aware it was a contest. I think everyone should just use whatever works best for them and leave it at that. I know slamming other boards might seem great fun, but really, is it necessary?

Comment

• Sharg
                      • Jun 2000

It doesn't need to be necessary. The fun is enough

Comment

• theFinn
                        • Nov 2000

John: Counting phpBB out because it has a font you don't like is moronic (not offence, I just think comparing systems based on how they look and not how they preform is dumb).

I'll agree with you, the admin panle isn't very good. Thats why we're completely redsigning it (and the majority of the code) for version 2.0.

phpBB has less features, true. But thats because we've been pouring all our work into making the base system the best we can, and for versions 1.4 and 2.0 we've got it to a point were it can handle the same amount of traffic as vB.

Is vB better? perhaps, but it all depends on what you want... Personally I want freedom, and the GPL (and other Open Source licences) provides that.

Comment

• Dream
                          • Mar 2001
                          • 3.6.x

for people actually running serious bulletin boards, layout/style does matter. for the users too.
                          Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• theFinn
                            • Nov 2000

I'm not saying style dosan't matter. I'm saying that if someone says a board sucks simply because they don't like how it looks is dumb. Alot of people like the classic UBB style (the style that phpBB and vB are both based on), myself included.

The layout of vB, UBB, Open Topic, phpBB, and lots of other boards out there is VERY similare so comparing them on those terms is lame... You should compare them based on features, proformance, and ease of use.

Overall, I'd agree that vB wins, but the attitude around here is that anything else just isn't worth your time, and thats pretty offensive to all the programmers out there who build bulletin board systems.

Comment

• wert
                              • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Dream
                              for people actually running serious bulletin boards, layout/style does matter. for the users too.
                              Well, I've seen *many* non vB boards that look really nice. Granted, vB does look very nice *in my opinion*. But who's to say that vB has the "nicest" or most "stylish" appearance? While the default vb is easy on the eyes, I've seen some people modify it to the point of plain ugly. It's all subjective. If you use another system and are happy with the way it looks, then that should be that. No need to pound on other systems unnecessarily...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...