• Jan 2004

Originally posted by MGM
      lol, I dont have a mac, so disregard my vote for IE:Mac

MGM out
      mgm always trying to increase your post count

Comment

• chrispadfield
        • Aug 2000

I only use my mac for testing so havn't voted, but safari seems to me to be faster than firefox. The obvious reason why most mac users will use safari and not firefox, is the same for windows & IE. Macs come with safari.
        Christopher Padfield
        Web Based Helpdesk
        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Kier
          Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
          • Sep 2000

Originally posted by MGM
          lol, I dont have a mac, so disregard my vote for IE:Mac

MGM out
          Duly disregarded.

Comment

• MGM
            • Aug 2002
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by fire27
            mgm always trying to increase your post count
            lol, nah, I dont care about my post count (although i do like to have a lot ), I simply posted that to let people know lol

In fact, Kier PMed me about it... hey Kier, you seemed appalled about it

MGM out

Comment

• Dan
              • Dec 2002

When at work I do occassionally use Mac OS 10.4 for testing uses when speaking with customers. So when I do I do use Safari and I rather like it. When I do finally get a Mac It'll probably be my choice browser.

Comment

• ehjay
                • Apr 2002
                • 3.6.x

Kier, are you using the latest CVS builds of JavaScriptCore and WebCore? Not to mention the latest build of WebKit?

If not, make sure you grab them as they incorporate many post-Tiger changes in code to the Safari browser. You can compile them in a separate dev. framework if you wish to also test using the mainstream version of Safari released with Tiger.

As to which browser is most popular Safari is by far. It renders most objects and pages faster than FF (perhaps with the exception of Java applets) and tends to be more responsive. I have and use all of the above listed browsers on my machine for different development reasons.. IE solely for compatibility, as it's horrendously out of date these days.

So yes, Safari for me. It's what I use on a daily basis.
                Last edited by ehjay; Tue 14 Jun '05, 2:35pm.
                www.warboards.org

Comment

• cirisme
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                  The obvious reason why most mac users will use safari and not firefox, is the same for windows & IE. Macs come with safari.
                  That is the obvious explanation, but not always the correct one. Usually it is, but sometimes it's not.

When I first got my Mac, I opened Safari and... downloaded Camino. Used it for a few days, didn't like it so I tried Firefox. Used it for a few minutes, didn't like it, and tried again with Safari. I prefer Safari.
                  TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• cirisme
                    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by ehjay
                    Kier, are you using the latest CVS builds of JavaScriptCore and WebCore? Not to mention the latest build of WebKit?

If not, make sure you grab them as they incorporate many post-Tiger changes in code to the Safari browser. You can compile them in a separate dev. framework if you wish to also test using the mainstream version of Safari released with Tiger.
                    Doesn't make a huge amount of difference if everyone that uses your site, uses Safari without the dev stuff plugged in.

I've been pretty pleased with Safari on the developmental side so far. Over a year ago I built a website from scratch based on standards, and a fair amount of Javascript. Didn't have a Mac then so I couldn't test it with Safari.

Anyway, I got it working great in Opera and Firefox without much trouble, then spent about twice that time getting it to work in IE. After I spent all that time, I finally had an acceptable version for IE 6, but gave up on IE 5.

I got my Mac this year, opened the site in Safari expecting a ton of problems, and I haven't had any. It just depends on what you're doing. If you go out in the newly incorporated, or rarely used portions of Javascript, you run into weirdness. That's to be expected, and hopefully will be remedied in due time. Everything else seems pretty solid, though.
                    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• ehjay
                      • Apr 2002
                      • 3.6.x

Granted, but the code has been fixed and will in due time be upgraded. Clearly he should be checking it against older versions of Safari, but there comes a point where you want to develop further, so if the CVS builds have the bugs fixed, then he'd know the next release of Safari would as well.
                      www.warboards.org

Comment

• Andy Z
                        • Nov 2001

I use Safari for the vast majority of everything I do. For the rare occasions that something won't work, I use Firefox (which does take about 15 seconds to launch and become active, let alone beginning to render the first page). I like that for the most part, rendering is consistent (at least compared to IE/Win) across Safari and Firefox, when it comes to HTML that is (nearly) valid (X)HTML.

I like Safari, because of its speed and simplicity. I do not use the RSS (NetNewsWire for that). Hopefully, with source of WebKit/JavaScriptCore/WebCore being opened up, improvements will be made much more quickly.
                        - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

• Giray
                          • Sep 2004

Safari is cleaner, more appealing.
                          Firefox extensions are great. Wish Safari was more feature rich.
                          Safari works poorly with forum-style editors such as this javascript vBulletin editor (I don't like the lack of wysiwyg for bold, lists, links, etc.)
                          Cause change

Comment

• ehjay
                            • Apr 2002
                            • 3.6.x

But yes, good point. The lack of WYSIWYG support on Safari is a bit of a letdown.
                            www.warboards.org

Comment

• Forum-Style
                              • Sep 2004
                              • 3.5.x

The tab browsing also on firefox is much better than what safari offers, this is a large plus for me once again, thous saying that firefox is slow to load, i guess for myself that is not correct, i editted the config and even from default with in a second i loaded and browsing the web. The extension and plugins for firefox are also very useful.

Comment

• KimmiKat
                                • Jul 2003

Although I use both a Mac and Windoze, Safari is what I use on the Mac box.
                                Kim

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...