X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kier
    Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
    • Sep 2000

Mac Owners in here please...

A quick poll here, I'm trying to get some usage stats for Mac users' browser preference.

Please take the time to vote, and please vote truthfully.

This is for Macintosh users only please.
    Firefox
    35.29%
    Camino
    5.88%
    Safari
    50.00%
    Opera
    0.98%
    Internet Explorer:Mac
    7.84%
  • anjam
    • Jul 2002

Safari here - voted also.

Comment

• Forum-Style
      • Sep 2004
      • 3.5.x

Safari is good, but still lack of options for banking still as not to the sercurity standard for all banks. I used Firefox now for a while, and would say that its now my default, thou i do use the rss feed in safari for checking things. As well as many others for style checking.

Comment

• Kathy
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

I actually use Mozilla on my other Mac (My desktop) which is a G3 and seems happier most of the time using that browser instead of Safari. But on my G4 laptop, I use safari exclusively unless I find a funky old form that doesn't work...then I have to break out the Internet Explorer....ewwww....
        Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• Kier
          • Sep 2000

Just out of curiosity, those who've said 'Safari is good' - what makes it good in your opinion?

Comment

• Forum-Style
            • Sep 2004
            • 3.5.x

The rss feed is great, its a nice addition, also i think the look, thou firefox changes images, but what i like most its apple being a die hard Mac user its normally no matter what i use there software instead of others, IE i use appleworks thou out dated instead or word suite, and mail instead of microsofts one.

Comment

• Kier
              • Sep 2000

So you're saying that you have to be a hard-core fanatical loony to use Safari?

Comment

• filburt1
                • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Kier
                Just out of curiosity, those who've said 'Safari is good' - what makes it good in your opinion?
                It is integrated fairly well into the system with an interface that doesn't get in the way. However, that's really the only reason I use it, other than that's all I use my Mac for anyway (web testing). The biggest lack of an option for me is no bookmarks sidebar which I use in all my browsers. Another huge one is no simple, easy-to-use, non-Safari-breaking system like Adblock (note all the qualifiers I have to exclude Pithhelmet).
                --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• PGN
                  • Jan 2005

I use Safari

Comment

• Andrew111888
                    • Mar 2003

I use Safari.

The only reason I don't use Mozilla Firefox is because it takes literally about 30 seconds to open for the first time on my computer, which is just a pain.

I'd never use Internet Explorer on the Mac for anything other than testing because it renders most things poorly.

So I guess I use Safari because there's nothing better available.

Comment

• fire27
                      • Jan 2004

i use firefox backed up by safari. i dont like the way safari does some operations so i use it as backup

Comment

• cirisme
                        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Kier
                        I prefer Safari to anything else out there on OS X, even though on Windows I only use Firefox.

It's not so much that Safari is substantially better than all the other browsers in terms of features (they're all pretty much the same except IE), Safari just has a much better experience. It's faster, very minimal without cutting out too many features (I love having the close button on each tab), and has a pretty good bookmark manager. It also seems quite a bit faster than Firefox, and seems more stable.

Mho, of course.
                        TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• Kier
                          • Sep 2000

From a developers point of view, Safari is just horrible right now. The event model is seriously confused, the contentEditable/designMode implementation is a joke and just to top it off it's the only browser in active development that still can't tell you what text is selected in a <textarea>...

Comment

• fire27
                            • Jan 2004

but in safari i've seen lines through pictures and a few other visual
                            annoyances thats why i moved to ff. i agree with kier on the dev.
                            point. it should be labed as beta not a final product imo

Comment

• Ksilebo
                              • May 2001

I use Safari because its the only one that seems to work correctly without strange bugs cropping up. I had to set my button configuration special for my mouse in USB Overdrive to make the middle click work for one thing. There were a bunch others but I don't remember them after I went back to Safari. Granted, Safari doesn't have as many plugins and such as Firefox does, so it is limited in that sense. I just like using a browser and not having to worry about it crashing or doing something stupid that I spend 15 minutes fixing so I can view a page.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                              http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...