Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 0ptima
    • Jan 2002

Photopost or VBA Gallery?

I have looked into both Photopost and VBA Gallery and would like to know which is the best one for my forum. I want a gallery that integrates well with VB, requires the least amount of hacking and can use my current usergroups. I know that VBA Gallery is cheaper, but price is not a factor in my choice. Which one would be best for me?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Without getting into some heated debate.

You might want to try asking over at taz.

There seems to be a healthy mix of both users even with vBa's overal product life being shorter than photopost (at least in the vB world, considering vBa gallery does not work with other software)

I will leave the comments to other users

You should also take the time to ask at questions at both sites and see how response times are as well as their overall support is

Comment

• Colin F
      • May 2004

I've used both and don't like the integration of photopost too much...
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• dynamite
        • Sep 2002
        • 3.6.x

On the flip side, I like PhotoPost, and haven't had any problems with it.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

From what I've observed, there has been a heavy movement from Photopost to vBAGallery.

There also seems to be a few security issues with Photopost.
          Flexera provides software licensing management, software compliance, installation and application packaging solutions to developers and their customers.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• hankster
            • Feb 2002

That is an advisory based on an old version and has been fixed quite a while ago. Please investigate before spreading bad info.

Comment

• MJM
              • Dec 2001

I have 3 PhotoPost Gallery apps tied into one vB and very happy with results, giving ability to set distinct usergroup perms/disk space allowance per app. Latest version gives much more capability for user to sort pics and and create distinct presentations of albums assigned to cats.

Mark
              Mark

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

Originally posted by hankster
                That is an advisory based on an old version and has been fixed quite a while ago. Please investigate before spreading bad info.
                I'm only posting up information that I know. I went through the Photopost site myself and have not noticed anything about a patch issued to that particular bug.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• MJM
                  • Dec 2001

This is the thread i read it from...

I remember it happened around the same time our web host informed us that if we did not upgrade to vB3.07 in 24hrs because of vB vulnerabilities that they would close down our site.
                  We were on vacation in the middle of nowhere and had a fun time finding an internet hookup LOL

Mark
                  Mark

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

Can't access link -_-"

It's in a restricted members area.

Comment

• DanaSoft
                      • Oct 2003

PhotoPost is the industry leader that everyone compares themselves to (and many try to duplicate). We've been building an integrated solution for vB for over three years and have a history of providing timely updates and support. PhotoPost is also backed by a corporation with a proven track record - something you don't find in any other solution out there. How many photo galleries have been developed and then abandoned by their developers? I can count several.

When you have as many customers as we do, there are bound to be some people who have something negative to say. Some may even be actual customers (many aren't) and we regret that people may feel that way. But, when you look at who were actual customers and their histories, its not uncommon to find that the person got stellar support and just decided they wanted something different. Again, suggesting that there is a "heavy" migration from one to the other when you have as many installations as we do.

I recommend you do you homework and research what each product has to offer; and if you have any specific questions about PhotoPost, I'd be glad to answer them.

Can't access link -_-"

It's in a restricted members area.
                      Respectfully, if you don't have access to our site, its difficult to suggest that you went through "the site" yourself.
                      Last edited by DanaSoft; Mon 4 Apr '05, 5:25pm.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                        • Jun 2002

Hey Dana:

I'm basing my observations through what I can access. It's sorta hard to go through your entire site when you don't own a Photopost license nor am I going to pay just go take a look inside. If I can't get my information from the source itself, my next best option is to find information where I can get it.

Comment

• DanaSoft
                          • Oct 2003

No problem, just pointing out that without access to the member forums its difficult to represent that nothing has been said or posted. Or, you could simply ask.

PhotoPost currently is running version 5.03 which includes several new forum integrations, some fixes and a couple security issues that we notified our users of. Those issues were reported long after 5.01 was released and which addressed those concerns. In fact, after making that post the organization was notified by the group that actually found the issues and told that their information was incorrect; but getting them to actually update their site is not something we control.

If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with me; I'd be glad to do my best to answer them.

I really should change my name here, I sold that domain with the little signature script I wrote some time ago.

Comment

• conqsoft
                            • Jul 2003
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by hankster
                            That says v5.x. Isn't that the latest?
                            vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• DanaSoft
                              • Oct 2003

5.03 is the latest and as I said, their information is incorrect. The issues they are discussing revolve around the 5.0 release which had only been out a couple days.

It's like saying vB3.x is effected for its security issues when subsequent .0x releases were posted to resolve them.

Comment