1,000 members! How long did it take you?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luckydevil
    • Jan 2005

1,000 members! How long did it take you?

My site got its 1,000th member today. Site opened to the public Jan 9th, 2005. Took just under 11 weeks to get there.

I'm curious how this compares to other sites. How long has it taken the rest of you guys to hit 1k members?
    - Luke
    www.GarageJunkies.net
  • Rob-Morgan
    • Dec 2004

1000 members is harder than 10,000 posts!

Well done!

Comment

• Sergio965
      • Nov 2004

wow

how did you do it? advertise? friends? promotions?

can you give us your url?

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
        Banned
        • Mar 2004
        • 3.6.x

I am 6 away from 2000 members right now My site will be up 2 years on May 1st

Comment

• conqsoft
          • Jul 2003
          • 3.6.x

I'm around 5200 users, but I've purged ~3000 inactive users over the years. May 1st of this year will be 4 years.
          vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• luckydevil
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Sergio965
            how did you do it? advertise? friends? promotions?

can you give us your url?
            www.GarageJunkies.net

I tried to post links on car and motorcycle forums to just get the word out. Half the time the board admin would get pissed at me for spamming and just delete it. The other half of the time people would thank me and were very receptive. The people that got mad at me thought I was trying to sell a product or make money and that isn't the case.

I'm not really competing with anyone as far as forum topics go so I think that also plays a big part along with the amount of interest in garages. I don't have any advertising on the site and I pay for everything out of my own pocket. It isn't that expensive so it isn't a big deal. I just think that a lot of forums have gone over the top with advertising everywhere and I don't want that on my forum.

Hope that helps.

conqsoft- why did you purge the inactive members? does it slow the forum down at all?
            - Luke
            www.GarageJunkies.net

Comment

• conqsoft
              • Jul 2003
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by luckydevil

conqsoft- why did you purge the inactive members? does it slow the forum down at all?
              If they haven't been active for a while, they are just artificially inflating your site statistics...
              vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• TCM
                • Dec 2004

I only have about 150. It's because most of our members came from one boards (we're sorta stealing their members), and after the initial rush, members aren't registering very often anymore.

Comment

• Tailfeathers
                  • Jun 2004
                  • 3.6.x

About 4,500 on my old board that's been around since 2001 (and closed in summer 2004 when we switched to vB)...a bit over 1,000 at the vB since it opened.
                  Photography :: Bird Information and Help

Comment

• evssadmin
                    • Jul 2004

mmm took me 6 months to achieve 1000th members...
                    60k post in the meantime. at least im looking at a slight.. i mean slightly more active user forum....

Comment

• Zonex
                      • Dec 2004

I've had 1000 registrations in 3 months and purged 950 of them already.

The last vb site I had was like 4000 registrations in around 6 - 9 months...dont recall exact figures. Purged 3,600 of them.

Not going to participate, get off my database!
                      Last edited by Zonex; Sun 10 Apr '05, 4:16pm.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Same feelings that I have for the most part. I could get 1000's of members if i force people to register. But i don't want a lurker to register, read a few posts, and leave.

Comment

• ]SK[
                          • Mar 2004

Took my site over a year.

Comment

• Snowqueen
                            • Jun 2004

I stopped using number of members as a way to measure my forum's growth a long time ago. We need to keep all records of registrations so I can't purge inactive members and as a consequence the stats show we have 7000+ members since last June. I'd love to see in future versions the ability to auto-remove inactive members from the stats and memberlist but a way to keep their records.... or at least a hack that can do this.

Comment

• ZacUSNYR
                              • Mar 2005

My site will be 2 years old in June and i'm hoping to just hit 2k. Kinda hard

I'm also targeting a smaller demographic. Took a year and half to hit 1k

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...