Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeteRoy
    • Apr 2004

What if we are going to be the bad aliens

In many science fiction movies you see bad aliens coming to take over our planet.

What if the humans got so advance and it found other planet with animals as smart as dogs, what would humans do to them?

What would us humans decide to do with that planet with inferior intelligence, especially think about situation that in the future earth will have fewer resources and it will come into consideration whether to take over their planet or not.

After all, their intelligence is as a dog and we could take over their planet with almost no resistance.

All those science fiction movies show those bad aliens taking over our planet but maybe they show what we would do as humans if we found a planet that we need it's resources.
  • MGM
    • Aug 2002
    • 3.6.x

The difference is, those aliens and us are both intelligent beings... dogs are intelligent yes, but not at the same way as us. If we took over their planet, we're not gonna just slaughter every living creature there... no, we're gonna try to at least live in harmony with them, especially if they aren't savage

MGM out

Comment

• someuser190826
      • Oct 2002
      • 4.0.x

If they sit when I tell them to sit, fetch the paper when I want to read the paper, and drink out of a toilet...I am sure we can find some grounds to pursue a more harmonious relationship with the aliens.

Comment

• Cole2026
        • Apr 2004
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by MetalGearMaster
        The difference is, those aliens and us are both intelligent beings... dogs are intelligent yes, but not at the same way as us. If we took over their planet, we're not gonna just slaughter every living creature there... no, we're gonna try to at least live in harmony with them, especially if they aren't savage

MGM out
        No, we would experiment the creatures, disect them, never live in harmony. Our own selfishness & curiousity will be our undoing in the future. Just look at it now, we kill animals for fur, meat, disecting frogs. etc.

Comment

• MGM
          • Aug 2002
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by bfoot045
          No, we would experiment the creatures, disect them, never live in harmony. Our own selfishness & curiousity will be our undoing in the future. Just look at it now, we kill animals for fur, meat, disecting frogs. etc.
          I don't see a problem with that... the most dominant species rules.... would you rather that dogs ruled the planet?

We would disect them, yes.... of course we would.... any intelligent alien race would do that

However, as far as using them for meat or fur.... that's questionable.... even on earth organizations (like PETA) are against the killing of animals for food/clothing or what-not... I bet you if we ever found a planet with living life forms on it, there would be some law to prevent such things. And besides, at the start only NASA and the like will be able to view such animals, so all we can do is disect.

MGM out

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MetalGearMaster

MGM out
            We are? Where is the historical evidence? Ask the Native Americans living in imposed concentration camps err... reservations and having their culture stripped from them after thousands were killed and slaughtered how they feel about that idea.

Look at the thousands of species of wildlife we have driven into extinction. Some estimate that 500 species a day are permanently killed in the Rain Forests around the world. How is that peaceful coexistance?

Man is a brutal species and doesn't live even in harmony with itself. Until that lesson is learned we don't have to worry about advanced space travel.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• chrispadfield
              • Aug 2000

I am sure we will take exactly what we want from where ever we can. If however, there is much life out there, and some of it is sapient, then likely a lot of it will be far more advanced than us (given the age of the universe). We might then find our actions are rather constrained.

Of course, there are billions of planets out there, and a lot of the natural resources we need will be unlikely to require inteference in the worlds that do have life (we are not going to be travelling to other solar systems while our energy economy is based on hydrocarbons); however when there is a conflict between our needs and some other interests, the powerful normally get their way.

One interesting postulation on the type of environemnt we might find ourself in when we work out how to leave our solar system is found in David Brin's "Uplift" novels.
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk
              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• chrispadfield
                • Aug 2000

And besides, at the start only NASA and the like will be able to view such animals, so all we can do is disect.
                You think it will be Nasa to be the first to get to other solar systems with life? I am not even convinced Nasa will be the first to land someone on Mars. It seems private US based companies or China are perhaps better bets.
                Christopher Padfield
                Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• Cole2026
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 3.6.x

I do not think we are going to get as advanced in space travel as everyone thinks, just think, to even scratch the surface on this, we would need something that could take us as fast as light.

Comment

• MGM
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                    You think it will be Nasa to be the first to get to other solar systems with life? I am not even convinced Nasa will be the first to land someone on Mars. It seems private US based companies or China are perhaps better bets.
                    I said NASA and the like... I dont know any other agencies like NASA by heart so I mentioned them

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    We are? Where is the historical evidence? Ask the Native Americans living in imposed concentration camps err... reservations and having their culture stripped from them after thousands were killed and slaughtered how they feel about that idea.

Look at the thousands of species of wildlife we have driven into extinction. Some estimate that 500 species a day are permanently killed in the Rain Forests around the world. How is that peaceful coexistance?

Man is a brutal species and doesn't live even in harmony with itself. Until that lesson is learned we don't have to worry about advanced space travel.
                    I agree, I don't see us finding anything until the far future... and by then, I'm sure that the human race will have something to keep themselves from destroying everything out there...

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                      • Dec 2000
                      • 3.6.x

I think it is more accurate to say that life is brutal, and as we are a part of the cycle of life, we are incapable of rising above its brutality.

Comment

• Cole2026
                        • Apr 2004
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                        I think it is more accurate to say that life is brutal, and as we are a part of the cycle of life, we are incapable of rising above its brutality.
                        That makes the most sense here ^^

OT:100th Post

Comment

• Joseph777
                          • Sep 2004

I'll put an end to the question.

We ARE the bad aliens!

As a race, we suck, we suck bad! We are the vermon of the Milky Way!

Comment

• silkroad
                            • Sep 2000
                            • 3.7.x

All biological cognitive minds which exist for a fleeting moment in a 20 billion year old universe make cognitive inferences. Most of these cognitive inferences are wrong and are a synthesis of an infinite series of mistaken inferences based on the inability of a biological cognitive mind to understand the complex organization of information in 20 billion years of natural law, cause-and-effect, and self-organization.

In other words, to say this more simply, and to keep this post short, the world we live in is a product of evolution of a primitive cognitive space; life, as we know it is an illusion; a world created out of an epic human quest for survival, knowledge and self-awareness, mostly based on mistaken inferences.

All life, viewed from the human cognitive mind, is an illusion that is only real to homo sapiens and those infected by this self-generated "reality", based on the serial history, conditioning and synthesis of cognitive inference in a vain attempt to understand 20 billion years of cause-and-effect.

Most of us, the author included, struggle to keep vBulletin tuned and forum users to frequent our virtual communities; and in context, have little hope to understand 20 billion years of science and natural law. Someday, humans may simply be the "maintainers" for machines who will have cognitive abilities in excited silicon that will far surpass cognitive abilities in homo sapiens. Who knows?

Unfortuately, these machines will more-than-likely be built and bootstrapped with the same wrong inferences that infect our biological cognitive spaces. This is simply the limitations of biological and carbon based life as we "know it". In closing, because science and technology have only emerged in the past few hundred years of a 20 billion year history, this is only about 0.000000001 of the history of the universe as we know it. There is a long way to go and much to learn. I would say Earthlings are doing OK, considering their relatively short emergence in the cosmos.

Yes, as the original poster stated, "we are the bad aliens".....
                            Last edited by silkroad; Sat 29 Jan '05, 5:53pm.

Comment

• chrispadfield
                              • Aug 2000

Of course your whole post is another "cognitive inference", so as you suggested is likely to be wrong
                              Christopher Padfield
                              Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...