Dealing with differences between MySQL and vBulletin Templates in version control

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merk
    • Jul 2001

Dealing with differences between MySQL and vBulletin Templates in version control

Having completly moved into SVN mode for working on my website, I have come across a dilemma with regard to templates and mysql changes.

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to tackle it? At the moment i have a MYSQLCHANGES file in the repository that i use to track changes i make to mysql locally and when i commit/update i run those same queries on the live database.

Is there a better way to deal with MySQL changes?

How about templates in the database? Im really stuck to deal with this one. I have no idea. Is it possible to write a script to fetch template changes and then put them back into a database? (I guess this applies to a working copy without version control too!)
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

As the templates are saved in one of those huge xml files, you might be able to compare those...
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• merk
      • Jul 2001

But those template xml files are for the raw style as provided by jelsoft, not including modifications for anything i do.

Though, i guess i could export the style and any customisations made to it before i commit.

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

Yes, possibly.

Or if you compare the two default files, you would see what changes were made and could manually add them.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• merk
          • Jul 2001

Searching through the subversion manual, i guess i could run a post-commit hook.

But, that would only be on the repository side of things, not on the working copy side.

/me ponders.

Comment

• dwh
            • Sep 2000
            • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

Originally posted by merk
            Having completly moved into SVN mode for working on my website, I have come across a dilemma with regard to templates and mysql changes.

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to tackle it? At the moment i have a MYSQLCHANGES file in the repository that i use to track changes i make to mysql locally and when i commit/update i run those same queries on the live database.

Is there a better way to deal with MySQL changes?

How about templates in the database? Im really stuck to deal with this one. I have no idea. Is it possible to write a script to fetch template changes and then put them back into a database? (I guess this applies to a working copy without version control too!)
            I haven't set up subversion on the server though I try to use it locally. Still learning the system though.

For MySQL it depends on the table, but I actually want to compare data sometimes and after firing up phpmyadmin, first sort data on a suitable column. Sometimes id is best, sometimes title is best. I compare it to my test server and do the same data sort.

Then I export table structure and data. In some cases I only do table structure. I save all the files in name.sql format. Then I can easily compare them and by being careful about the sorting, it's easy to compare. Templates might even be comparable that way, but I found a better way to handle that.

If you turn on debug mode, there is an undocumented feature to backup data files to flatfiles...you must create a directory called template_dump in the forums directory. Make sure it is writable. Don't forget to turn debug mode on.

Then go to this url:

Add the files to subversion and presto bingo, templates are done.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...