Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Donate your money to tsunami quake victims

Feel free to use this thread to discuss this announcement: Tsunami Disaster Appeal

Usually I would not do this, but in this case I think it is important to try and do as much as possible. As every little bit might just help one more. I've also posted this request on the vbfan site, but I hope to reach even more ears posting it here.

Donate your money!

According to various authoraties the current estimated death toll is over 125,000. Imagine the amount of missing and hurt hurt people and countries that require help to repair the massive damage. This is not just a small quake due to oil drills, this is one that has effect on many countries, and according to a Reuters article even had effect on the rotation speed of the earth and other scientists fear more quakes might follow.

This is global, so everybody should ask everybody to donate money if they can, just to help out.

To donate using a credit card, you may click the 'donate online' link, or you can find a large number of organizations who can accept donations on this BBC news page. Also a special Google Page with more information and donation links

Thank you!

Floris.
    Last edited by Floris; Thu 30 Dec '04, 7:11am.
  • griffin
    • Dec 2003

I did donate to the American Cross International general relief fund on Sunday (their site had not yet updated to specifically choose which relief effort I wanted to earmark for the donation but I am pretty sure, the money will help someone regardless)

I'm glad you posted this, this is such a horrific and sad event. I am truly shaken as the death toll continues to climb. I am so grateful for my family and their health and saftey, it just breaks my heart that so many people have lost their loved ones. So many lives cut short.

I have not posted links on my sites to facilitate donations, but I'll try to get that set up. It's a wonderful idea.

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Thank you for the effort and the kind feedback.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

I make regular donations to the Red Cross for international relief efforts throughout the year.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Even better! Really nice of you Wayne.

Comment

• Dean C
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.5.x

I donated £10 this morning, but what has upset me the most is the media coverage over here is pretty minute considering this is the 5th most catastrophic natural disaster in living memory. More people have died in this than 911. Yet when 911 happened our whole national TV stations were shut down for 2 days to cover the goings on. Sorry to be such a political pain in the ass on this one but it really distresses me how this is getting so little media coverage. I urge everyone to make a donation and help out. Remember, you can rebuild homes, but you can't rebuild a family
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• KimmiKat
              • Jul 2003

I posted this on my board and made it a sticky too. Hopefully some of my members will assist.
              Kim

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • Dec 2000

I donated £100 this afternoon to the Red Cross.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dean C
                  I donated £10 this morning, but what has upset me the most is the media coverage over here is pretty minute considering this is the 5th most catastrophic natural disaster in living memory. More people have died in this than 911. Yet when 911 happened our whole national TV stations were shut down for 2 days to cover the goings on. Sorry to be such a political pain in the ass on this one but it really distresses me how this is getting so little media coverage. I urge everyone to make a donation and help out. Remember, you can rebuild homes, but you can't rebuild a family
                  This tragedy is the number one story on all news here in the US. Our scientists are already trying to figure out how to lower the costs of the tsunami warning stations that they want to put into place to prevent this from happening again.

Here are some links to other organizations collecting money for aid:
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Jerry
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 1.1.x

Well with global warming its nearly too late to stop the positive feedback loop of the warming due to emissions, so rather than just give people money to clean up afterwards, get rid of your V8's and wasteful lives now. 7-8 years I think it is now and there will be nothing we can do, and entire countries like Bangladesh will be under water, that's 20 million people, as the levels rise etc.

So much for the Kyoto agreement....

With mother earth poisoned, I can see "natural disasters" being a lot more common.

Everything has a price, and now its time to pay I think.

As for 9/11 that was political this was natural.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• M1th
                      • Jul 2003
                      • 3.6.x

I just donated.

Btw, taken from slashdot

This week's deadly Asian Quake and Tsunami may have been so powerful, that it changed the rate of Earth's rotation. In a Reuters article, a NASA geophysicist theorizes that the quake compacted the Earth enough to speed up the planet's rotation by 3 microseconds. A second article says the quake moved undersea tectonic plates by up to 98 feet, shifting islands near Sumatra out to sea an unknown distance. Also, a USGS team wants images from commercial satellite operators to help pinpoint coastline damage. Lastly, an interesting article from the Australian Spaceguard Survey about the need for a Tsunami warning system in the Indian Ocean. The author comments that tsunami warnings may not help much, as people often flock to the coastline to see the giant waves." The current estimated death toll is now nearly 70,000; Amazon and Google, among others, have added front-page links to simplify donating to the disaster relief effort.
                      Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

• Streicher
                        • Jan 2001
                        • 3.7.x

I donated yesterday 100€ to the german red cross. We put some banner of the german red cross and an other organisation on our two forums and put some images and also a call to donate on the main page of our website.
                        Hopefully there are many who donate instead of buying rockets for sylvester.
                        Streicher

Comment

• chrispadfield
                          • Aug 2000

Please please give as much as you can to this. I was on Ko Phi Phi and Krabi about 5 months ago, I am having nightmares thinking about all the amazing people we met there, from the thia lady who invited us in to share a meal with us, the shop owners, street traders etc. The amount of people who have died is just a start on the human misery this disaster has caused - the homeless in Sri Lanaka is already 1 million people, livelihoods have been completly destroyed across the region. Whatever you can give will be so helpful to this region. If you have ever visited you will know how generous the people of south east asia are, lets all do our bit to return that favour.
                          Christopher Padfield
                          Web Based Helpdesk
                          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

we're using this from Amazon and posted it on our front page..

ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• The_Sisko
                              • Jun 2000

Originally posted by Streicher
                              I donated yesterday 100€ to the german red cross. We put some banner of the german red cross and an other organisation on our two forums and put some images and also a call to donate on the main page of our website.
                              As Streicher's website is a partner site of my website, we followed his idea and did the same announcement on our site.
                              The Sisko
                              SciFi-Forum.de

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...