Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James Kojiro
    • Jun 2004
    • 3.6.x

Microsoft software is holey to begin with. That is why when you reinstall software you see SO MANY PATCHES!

Comment

• Vile
      • Jul 2002
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Floris
      I have bad experience with ZoneAlarm and hackers are exploiting it too much. I have switched to Sygate firewall and it is great. Even the free version is worth it. Very effective.

Recently I have been getting more and more emails from users who claim the emails I send them with images in them are empty. It appears that Outlook and SP2 filters out .gif and .jpg from .zip files? I don't use Outlook, so I wouldn't know. But that would be the only problem I could point out.
      That's because ZoneAlarm is a worthless application. Norton Personal Firewall > ZA eaisly.

Originally posted by Mike Warner
      Strange - deffo been getting more recently for some reason.
      This is a result of the sites you visit & the software you install. Nothing to do with SP2.

Get yourself a good Spyware removal program such as SpySweeper. (Ad-Aware and SpyBot SD are decent, but they tend to miss many things, unlike SpySweeper)
      Webmaster / Administrator
      www.MegaGames.com
      www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by cirisme
        What kind of computer do you have?

I've heard of a few laptops becoming significantly slower, but it was very rare.(I think updating the proc. driver fixed it, but I can't remember.)
        If his computer is using the generic Windows chipset drivers and his chipset is unconventional that would slow his PC down considerably.

I have bad experience with ZoneAlarm and hackers are exploiting it too much. I have switched to Sygate firewall and it is great. Even the free version is worth it. Very effective.

Recently I have been getting more and more emails from users who claim the emails I send them with images in them are empty. It appears that Outlook and SP2 filters out .gif and .jpg from .zip files? I don't use Outlook, so I wouldn't know. But that would be the only problem I could point out.
        I run ZoneAlarm Pro and haven't had any problems. I'm running it behind a NAT/SPI router through.

Comment

• Admiral Spock
          • Jun 2004

Uhh. I have Windows XP Home on my system and just ordered a few XP2 discs (thanks to the other thread. ), and I just do web browsing, MS Money finances, word documents, graphics editing, FTP usage, and that is about it. Is there any possibility of this interacting with the programs - making them unusable?

Comment

• weirdpixels
            • Aug 2003

I am not sure about it filtering them out from zip files, but I know it blocks them when they are within an actual email, this is to stop spammers using them.

To see the images within the email all you have to do it right click on one and select download images.
            http://www.weirdpixels.com/images/buttons/button.gif

Comment

• sabret00the
              • Jan 2003

my friend installed sp2 and it brought his computer to a grounding halt and his specs are better than mine.

Comment

• RichM
                • Jan 2003
                • 4.0.x

Thanks for all the replies.

Anyway, I just reformatted my comp, nice new fresh install and all seems to be okay now. (Running Windows XP Pro SP2 that is)

Comment

• cirisme
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  Its impossible to get more Spyware on SP2.
                  Incorrect. You can say that it's more difficult to get spyware on SP2 without your knowledge, but you can't say it's impossible to get more spyware with SP2. All it takes is installing some stupid crap like BonziBuddy.
                  TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...