Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

Buying a really expensive item from eBay

I just ordered a tablet worth $~1900 from Newegg, and when I checked my order status, I saw the previously not displayed step of my shipping address being verified (shipping and billing are the same).

Anybody have experience with high value orders from Newegg and the turnaround time compared to normal orders? I paid the rush processing and Fedex Overnight because I can't afford much downtime given I sold my existing laptop on eBay and am shipping it tomorrow--definitely one day of downtime already.

(Yes I would contact Newegg but it's beyond their business hours).

Address Verification Result: Pending - We have yet to contact your credit card issuer bank for additional verification, or your address did not verify (you will be notified via email if this is the case. Please check your email before you call). Please always allow us 1 day to verify your ship to address before you call. We will verify all your information automatically and keep you informed via email.
    I was already charged...Newegg always seems to charge qnything within a second of submitting the order for better or worse.
    Last edited by filburt1; Mon 20 Sep '04, 7:35pm.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

For large orders I still prefer to phone or visit a store. With smaller orders you at least have a margin of fraud/scam that makes it acceptable as a loss. Personally, I wouldn't even purchase the tablet until I have confirmation the laptop arrived. There are so many people that just get the expansive stuff and then say 'uh, when do I get your expansive stuff, it never arrived!' and demand their money back, despite what FedEx track/trace tells you.

Comment

• Erwin
      • Jan 2002

If it's a large store with a good feedback profile it should be okay. You should worry if the person has a new id and low feedback. I've bought many things over ebay, some costing a lot more than that, without hassles.

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

The person had no feedback but had been a member since 2001. Their address was also unconfirmed but I think that's because they may have paid via a credit card using PayPal as a conduit.

One factor (other than the address verifying through Fedex but not verified in PayPal) that makes me feel better is that the winner did contact me on the first listing of the auction (this was the second; the first didn't sell) with a question about the system.

I already received money and UPS Ground has tracking, so I plan to keep all documents. If I get a chargeback and PayPal tries to take the money back, I'll try to raise hell, particurally because I've probably given them hundreds of dollars so far on account that I have a premier account.

edit: Newegg is obviously a legitimate store for buying the tablet, given their history both with my orders and their very high ResellerRatings rating.

edit again: I searched around for the buyer's name on Google and various parts check out; (s)he is a volunteer worker from Texas who does work abroad (notably Hondoras, though the address was for Texas).
        Last edited by filburt1; Mon 20 Sep '04, 7:37pm.

Comment

• filburt1
          • Feb 2002

BTW I just noticed some confusion because I typed the title wrong: it should be "Buying a really expensive item from Newegg", not eBay. I'd be insane to spend $1900 on eBay...I don't even like going above $100 for very good sellers.

I edited the first post's subject but it didn't affect the thread title.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

I don't remember a lot of newegg issues threads on forums or web sites, good luck with this, a new tablet is cool! I wish I could get a wacom a3 one

Comment

• Erwin
              • Jan 2002

Originally posted by filburt1
              BTW I just noticed some confusion because I typed the title wrong: it should be "Buying a really expensive item from Newegg", not eBay. I'd be insane to spend $1900 on eBay...I don't even like going above $100 for very good sellers.

I edited the first post's subject but it didn't affect the thread title.
              Ahhh... that makes more sense.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...