Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

Tablet questions

I'm considering selling my current notebook on eBay and getting a tablet. I'm not decided on which one--or if I'll do it at all--but would like some general opinions on tablets.

I'm strongly considering the Toshiba Protege (how do you pronounce it, anyway?) M200 tablet with the only change from a base model would be included 802.11b and a minimum of 512 MB RAM. Other than first-hand experience with it, the other hugely appealing factor is the incredible pixel density: SXGA+ in a 12.1" screen (I hate it when manufacturers screw you over with a 15" screen that is still XGA).

I plan to use the tablet for OneNote for the touch screen, and coding in a variety of languages for the general laptop. Doesn't hurt that it has an actual 3D accelerator, either. I'll also be using the touch screen to save my wrist the agony of using an erasorhead or touch pad.

1. Know of any less expensive alternatives? The M200 configured how I want it wavers between $1700 and $1800.

2. Any comments on tablets in general--the technologies they use for the touch screen, the usability, the practicality, etc.?

3. The Toshiba battery is rated at 4.34 hours. With Wifi on and the screen brightness nearly all the way up, but SpeedStep enabled (if a Centrino configuration has it), what battery life should I realistically expect?

4. Any academic discounts I could use? My school only sells Apple and Dell systems, and Toshiba says it only offers educator discounts, not student discounts for higher education.

5. Should I buy now or later for some reason?

6. Anybody with experience with this model know how good the Wifi reception is?

Thanks for any comments.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users
  • merk
    • Jul 2001

I have no experience with the model you're looking at getting.

I do however, have 2 Compaq TC1000 tablets. They rock, except the pens in the 1000 are powered and occasionally screw up. The 1100 does fix that.

I would personally wait until XP Tablet SP1 comes out (they are updating alot of stuff, iirc) unless you really want it now. There are little annoying things but I guess that comes down to the user.

Comment

• Chen
      • Jun 2001

Motion's M1400 line should be quite good as well. One of the more annoying problems with tablet PCs is the viewing angle of the display and its quality under difficult conditions (outside, in the sun). Motion's View Anywhere technology takes care of that. The downside is that you can't get anything but XGA, although personally I don't find that as a problem since it's 12" after all.

Anyway, I highly suggest Table PC Buzz. A lot of literate tablet PC owners and users frequent the site and its forum, and can answer all of your questions. It was practically my home page when I was in the market for a tablet.
      Chen Avinadav
      Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by merk
        I would personally wait until XP Tablet SP1 comes out (they are updating alot of stuff, iirc) unless you really want it now. There are little annoying things but I guess that comes down to the user.
        I thought it was already out and called Tablet Edition 2005--or is that a beta?

The stylus on the Toshiba is active; you can hover the stylus over the screen to move the mouse, and tapping doesn't even have to make direct contact on the screen. So, how does it work? Does the stylus need a battery, is it magnetic...?

Comment

• merk
          • Jul 2001

Im not exactly sure about that one, all i know is that the TC1000 needed AAAA batteries and they were hard to find

I suspect it could be "active" without a battery, id make every effort to go and see one before you buy it.

Comment

• filburt1
            • Feb 2002

Evidently the screen is essentially a Wacom tablet so it works through magnetism (that I can tell), so the stylus doesn't need a battery.

Comment

• perfectphp
              • Sep 2002

Pro-Toe-Shjae

Comment

• paulius
                • Sep 2004

I would recommend you the HP tablet PC.

I tried it myself and liked it quite a lot. The HP tablet PC got thinner and now the pen is pressure sensitive.
                vBulletin customer since February 27 2005!

Comment

• filburt1
                  • Feb 2002

I am limiting myself to Dell, IBM, Toshiba, Fujitsu, or Apple for this purchase (and of course only two of those companies make tablets at all) as I have either purchased something major with all of them or have first-hand experience with their quality. I am definitely blacklisting Compaq, and by compay extension, HP, as Compaq has a reputation for producing lower-quality computers (not my opinion, just fact based on reviews).

Comment

• merk
                    • Jul 2001

Originally posted by filburt1
                    I am limiting myself to Dell, IBM, Toshiba, Fujitsu, or Apple for this purchase (and of course only two of those companies make tablets at all) as I have either purchased something major with all of them or have first-hand experience with their quality. I am definitely blacklisting Compaq, and by compay extension, HP, as Compaq has a reputation for producing lower-quality computers (not my opinion, just fact based on reviews).
                    Its funny because its not true

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

I have an hp and its fairly well weathered, but i would never buy any of their products ever again. There is a massive lack of upgradability. moreso than Dell IBM or even Apple.

Comment

• merk
                        • Jul 2001

Originally posted by Zachery
                        I have an hp and its fairly well weathered, but i would never buy any of their products ever again. There is a massive lack of upgradability. moreso than Dell IBM or even Apple.
                        Considering we are talking about a laptop / tablet enviroment, you cant expect "massive upgradability".

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Most laptops should be upgradeable, esp today, For my Current Dell Insperion, i could upgrade my video card, ram processor and harddrive.

Its a general statment most HP systems used to use Celeron Processors, now they have Moved to AMD? (i think i know someone has recently)

Comment

• Chen
                            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by filburt1
                            I am definitely blacklisting Compaq, and by compay extension, HP, as Compaq has a reputation for producing lower-quality computers (not my opinion, just fact based on reviews).
                            I've had Compaq and HP laptops for years without a single hitch. How's that for a 'fact'?
                            Chen Avinadav
                            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• filburt1
                              • Feb 2002

Somehow I thought that statement would have some retaliation, but my decision is final on the matter.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...