Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric Bland
    • Aug 2004

V-Bull

Hello all, congrads on a great product. I keep seeing many going from phpBB to V-bull lately. I was wondering what the sudden draw is. What are the newest mods, and improvements making it more attractive recently?
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Eric Bland
    Hello all, congrads on a great product. I keep seeing many going from phpBB to V-bull lately. I was wondering what the sudden draw is. What are the newest mods, and improvements making it more attractive recently?
    I personally believe it is that vBulletin constantly redefines and sets new standards for the Bulletin Board Community. A good example would be this vBulletin 3 theme. All the old rules were thrown out and new rules were created.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Jake Bunce
      • Dec 2000
      • 3.6.x

Usergroup system that supports multiple group memberships.

Template conditionals.

Language and phrase systems that are independent of the templates making it easy to translate the software into different languages.

Subscriptions. Promotions. Group join requests.

Reputation system.

Several queuing and caching features to reduce server load for busy forums.

Great support.

etc...

Comment

• Lenni
        • Aug 2004
        • 3.6.x

phpbb 2.2 developement seems to be freezed.
        selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Eric Bland
          • Aug 2004

Thanks for the detailed response. Anything new on the search engine side? SEO enhancements, ect..

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

vBulletin by default, is fairly optmized, there are a few things you can do outside of vB including mod_rewrite, but vB already doesnt show a session id to most any user.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
              • Feb 2003

Most people who run vBulletin (e.g. me) don't install modifications so it would be the stock features drawing most of the people.

Thanks for the detailed response. Anything new on the search engine side? SEO enhancements, ect..
              As a matter of a fact there is. Unsupported support for fulltext searching.

Comment

• JPT62089
                • Jun 2004
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                Most people who run vBulletin (e.g. me) don't install modifications so it would be the stock features drawing most of the people.
                ya i noticed that too! but i did install some hacks... arcade and petz...
                http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

• someuser190826
                  • Oct 2002
                  • 4.0.x

New archive system is spiderable and when I do searches I am seeing many more results from the archive than the forums. Seems to be working great!

Comment

• Eric Bland
                    • Aug 2004

Thanks, that explains the recent migration I have seen from phpBB to V-Bull.
                    Originally posted by Arunan
                    New archive system is spiderable and when I do searches I am seeing many more results from the archive than the forums. Seems to be working great!

Comment

• Jerry
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 1.1.x

The importer rocks

lol
                      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• BlueFlame
                        • Jan 2003
                        • 3.8.x

Gotta Give Jerry some credit
                        @BlueFlame@

Comment

• Jerry
                          • Dec 2002
                          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by BlueFlame
                          Gotta Give Jerry some credit
                          We're a team, I couldn't do what I do with out the rest of the gang
                          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Beorn
                            • May 2002

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                            Great support.
                            Two words: Hell yeah.

What I love best is the admin cp. Being the anal retentive idiot that I am, I've gotta have control over every bit....and that's what vB does.

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                              • Oct 2002
                              • 3.7.x

Hi Eric

I ran a phpBB forum for 18 months and have recently (last week) migrated over to vB with a full customised design and unique look/feel. There are far too many features to mention here that are in vB that do not appear in phpBB... and besides, the relative support is incomparable. This was for me, one of the main reasons for moving away from phpBB... not a bad product, but the support forums are full of moderators who are 'wannabe, power crazed kids' with absolutely no knowledge of the importance of customer service whatsoever. That aside, there's a plethora of functions and features on vB that are not on phpBB.

All I can say to you is that I love it, my Moderators love it, and most importantly, my users totally love it. I have had no negative comments at all - despite my management team being concerned about the 'change' to a new application etc...

Go for it Eric, you certainly won't regret it.
                              John

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...