A bunch of vBulletin questions (because I am curious)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave-G
    • Mar 2001

• Are you 'proud' to have a vBulletin license? If so, why? What makes you be proud about it?
      Not proud, seems a little strong for something I purchased. Happy to use it over other - at this time.
    • How many source code modifications have you installed, why and on what grounds? To get more members, to improve the software or to please your current members?
      No source code changes to vB3, but do use vbPortal 3 as the new version does not require any changes to vb3's files. Use vbPortal 3 to give the site a front end, and enhance vb3.
    • What do you think is the best and the worst (less best) feature of vBulletin, why (constructive arguments please) and could they be improved?
      Best - Must be the templates Worst - Nothing really, and its taken me 5mins thinking to come up with nothing! There are feature I do not use, but that does not make them bad.
    • No money? How did you get your vBulletin license? Parents paid for it? Purchased it secondhand, found a sponsor or did you even won it in a competition?
      Paid for them.
    • Would you consider your vBulletin powered site to be good? With that I mean do you have some activity on it or did it die out after a year?
      Site has been running for a few years now with vB, its mainly an interest group made up of a close group of people, although more people come into the fold from time to time.
    • Where do you see yourself as a vBulletin license holder in three years? Will you run more sites powered by vBulletin or maybe quit running forums at all?
      Very good question, If over time vB is still to my liking then I'd say yes. But I will not stay with vbulletin just because of loyalty, it has to be good and meet my needs over the others around.
    • Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow?
      Version 2, yes I would, taking into account answer above.
    • Do you use vBulletin on your non-default-vbulletin pages? Like a portal, gallery or privacy page or whatever, and if so, which ones and why? Why not just use .html?
      Yes - vbPortal 3.0, Photopost 4.8.1, Reviewpost (at times) and Hivemail. I use those scripts as I see them as the leaders in their field and they enhance my site.
    • How much time do you spend on your own vBulletin forum and how much time do you spend on a vBulletin forum that isn't yours? (as a member)
      I'd have to say, more time on other site, lol
    • Did you undergo steps to improve registration? To provoke guests to sign up and become members, besides the default features that vBulletin offer. If so, what did you do?
      Nope nothing, if they wish to signup make it easy and simple
    • Do you promote vBulletin to your friends? And if so, had any luck with it? Additionally, are you signed up on cj.com? Alternativly, why wouldn't you suggest vb to your friends?
      Not actively promote it and not signed up for cj.com Yes I would suggest it, if it meets there needs, not just for the sake of it.
    • What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow?
      Not sure, as I already use other scripts for my needs, but in that I'd have to say portal, gallery and mail system.
    • What made you pick vBulletin and how long did it take you to find the forum software that suited you best?
      At the start I tried all the available forums both free, free trial and some full purchase. I decided on vB at the time because of two main things, those being, one it met my needs of easy of use, and two support, that being the forums not ticket support.
    • Do you ever use the vBulletin support? If not, why not?
      Nope, no need. Normally find the anwser on the forums.
    • What is your favorite vBulletin Admin Control Panel style? (and why)
      Do not care about the style in admin CP, its not on public view. So as long as it works thats good enough for me.
    • Do you have a owned or a leased license? If it is a leased license, why?
      Owned

Comment

• adguru
      • Jul 2004

• Are you 'proud' to have a vBulletin license? If so, why? What makes you be proud about it? : Yeah. Powered by vB line
      • How many source code modifications have you installed, why and on what grounds? To get more members, to improve the software or to please your current members? Just tried one ( custom header for every forum and thread like they have rules in IPB.. but didn't work to expectation . so its just lying useless! )
      • Would you consider your vBulletin powered site to be good? With that I mean do you have some activity on it or did it die out after a year? Hehe. mine is just born and I am getting really good feedback about it!
      • Where do you see yourself as a vBulletin license holder in three years? Will you run more sites powered by vBulletin or maybe quit running forums at all? I can see myself as owning Jelsoft . j/k . Yeah . I will slowly get 5-6 more licenses!
      • Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow? I had tried version 1 ... then went to burn my ass with other software then came back when 3.0.3 was released!
      • Do you use vBulletin on your non-default-vbulletin pages? Like a portal, gallery or privacy page or whatever, and if so, which ones and why? Why not just use .html? My whole iste is Based on vB
      • How much time do you spend on your own vBulletin forum and how much time do you spend on a vBulletin forum that isn't yours? (as a member) all the time when I am online . others - Sitepoint 2-3 hours ( multitaking! ) , rest - nothing regular
      • Did you undergo steps to improve registration? To provoke guests to sign up and become members, besides the default features that vBulletin offer. If so, what did you do? Removed Confirm eMail and no image vrification either
      • Do you promote vBulletin to your friends? And if so, had any luck with it? Additionally, are you signed up on cj.com? Alternativly, why wouldn't you suggest vb to your friends? Haha! Anytime anywhere. And yes I am part of vB affiliate program.
      • What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow? None!
      • What made you pick vBulletin and how long did it take you to find the forum software that suited you best? The Premium Image Issue! When starting PulseToday.com it took me just 5 minuted to decide which.
      • Do you ever use the vBulletin support? If not, why not? Yeah. I do pick a lot of brain of you guys out here with some really small questions
      • What is your favorite vBulletin Admin Control Panel style? (and why) Default...
      • Do you have a owned or a leased license? If it is a leased license, why? Leased. Could not afford $160 ATM , though I would upgrade ASAP
      =)

Comment

• Shadow Duelist
        • Dec 2003

• Are you 'proud' to have a vBulletin license? If so, why? What makes you be proud about it?
        Yes, indeed I am proud to have a license. Because I know.. umm.. that's by holding a vBulletin license, that means that I can pwn .
        • How many source code modifications have you installed, why and on what grounds? To get more members, to improve the software or to please your current members?
        Acouple.. Two for admin cp, 'Mass Add Phrase' and 'Add New Template To All Styles' because they are really useful to me .

I also added an arcade.. to attract members and please them.
        • What do you think is the best and the worst (less best) feature of vBulletin, why (constructive arguments please) and could they be improved?
        The best is the Admin CP, in general. The worst is Moderation Tools!

Yes, yes MT's can be improved, read here.

• Where do you see yourself as a vBulletin license holder in three years? Will you run more sites powered by vBulletin or maybe quit running forums at all?
        Probably buy more license ;D
        • Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow?
        vBulletin 3. And YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        • How much time do you spend on your own vBulletin forum and how much time do you spend on a vBulletin forum that isn't yours? (as a member)
        Mine: Hmm.. 24/7
        Others: Ehh.. I'd say prety active.

• What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow?
        Well.. this
        • What made you pick vBulletin and how long did it take you to find the forum software that suited you best?
        What made me pick it? Well, my 'bb friends' were all like 'vBulletin code sucks' and I wa slike 'Well.. atleast it works! ' But that didin't matter. I wanted speed, features and ease. How long? Pretty long time. I used to convert phpBB -> iPB -> phpBB -> IPB, etc..
        Indeed
        Default. Teh otherz suck. I hate the silver, front end and vB2. I wuuuub VB Floris though ;D
        Leased license.. don't know..
        Last edited by Shadow Duelist; Thu 5 Aug '04, 9:10pm.

Comment

• Static-xbox
          • Dec 2001
          • 3.8.x

Yes, because it's such a terrific BBS that anyone would/should be proud to own.

None. I take greater interest in template modifications than source code modifications, and find that template modifications can add all of the features I need without the hassle of re-modding with each upgrade.

I'd have to say the best standard feature of vBulletin would have to be, as mentioned above, the Administrator Control Panel. I'd have to say that the 'worst' vBulletin feature, or rather, the least-used feature (in my experience) is the Calendar. It's a good feature, but it's just not something I tend to use a whole lot. I'm not too sure of possible improvements that could be made to remedy the situation, it's a good feature as it is now, I just don't use it.
          • No money? How did you get your vBulletin license? Parents paid for it? Purchased it secondhand, found a sponsor or did you even won it in a competition?

N/A; paid my own way towards vBulletin.
          • Would you consider your vBulletin powered site to be good? With that I mean do you have some activity on it or did it die out after a year?

There have been several things that have contributed to the slowdown of my website, and vBulletin isn't one of them...so I'd have to say Yes, vBulletin powered sites bring activity, and are worth every penny put into them.

I hope to run more websites, each of them with vBulletin powering the forums.

I purchased my first license during the vBulletin 2 days, but I did snoop around vBulletin once or twice when I first heard of it during the vBulletin 1 days. I don't think I'd upgrade to vBulletin 4 unless it offered something absolutely incredible that vBulletin 3 doesn't already give me. vB3 suites my needs just fine.
          • Do you use vBulletin on your non-default-vbulletin pages? Like a portal, gallery or privacy page or whatever, and if so, which ones and why? Why not just use .html?

No, vBulletin suites my community needs just fine, and at the time of writing, I have no main website to integrate with vBulletin (in development), I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll use vBulletin outside of just the forums.

I'd say I spend a good 8-10 hours a day on my forums (including the time I spend working on my private forums trying to think of new ideas and new style sets [getting harder and harder to be original these days...] for my live forums); and about 2-3 hours on other vB-powered sites depending on mood.
          • Did you undergo steps to improve registration? To provoke guests to sign up and become members, besides the default features that vBulletin offer. If so, what did you do?

Given a recent website restart, I haven't done too much to improve guest registration yet, but I typically invite guests to register to access certain forums or to gain certain features.
          • Do you promote vBulletin to your friends? And if so, had any luck with it? Additionally, are you signed up on cj.com? Alternativly, why wouldn't you suggest vb to your friends?

I typically try to get away from online life when I'm talking with my friends, so I typically don't bother trying to promote websites or BBS'. I was a member of cj.com, but I've slowly drifted away from them for one reason or another.

Hmm...the vBulletin Personal Assitant. A feature that reads your mind and does everything for you with no flaws, leaving me with plenty of time to relax and post with the members of my forums. Realistically, I'd like to see vBulletin come with a pre-installed arcade and/or photo gallery for member entertainment; other than that, there's nothing missing that I can see.

I picked vBulletin after seeing several larger websites that I used to visit switch over to the 'new' vBulletin 2.0 software, and got the chance to see what it can do for a community. After a matter of a few days I was sold. It also helped to see the main differencese between vBulletin and the free boards I started out with (EZBoard, OpenBB [During the Iansoft days], phpBB, iKonBoard for a time, and numerous others...).

No, because I've never really had the need to.

I had my own ACP theme up for a while that I really liked, but now I think the frontend style or the vBulletin 2 style is the best for reasons even I can't explain.

Owned, two of 'em actually (though one's expired as far as upgrades go)

Comment

• Admiral Spock
            • Jun 2004

Yes, because any other forum software does not work for the features I need- and the professional support by the Jelsoft staff that I cannot find anywhere else.
              20+. When my site is finished, my users MUST be able to use the site without problems.
            Best: the skin system - it's so much easier to use than other software (IPB in mind). Worst: It's compatibility with hacks (I know they aren't supported, but we need some sort of standard like the Hack Tracking Log system included).
            I paid the full $85.
            My users won't care what my forum is powered by, as long as it works, they will enjoy coming to it.
            I'll be running at least one more vBulletin powered forum in a few years that will integrate with the user database system for my current site.
            vBulletin 3 is what I started out with. And if vB4 was released tomorrow, I'd need to do a lot of testing to figure out how it could be upgraded with all the hacks installed.
            It powers my whole site, because that was how I wanted it to be from the start.
            I haven't spent much time on my own forum lately, as I've been busy in the "real world" this week. But, I've usually spent at least an hour average each day - but that'll become more like four hours once my forum gets huge.
            I'm working on making it simple to register, right now I've spaced the forum categories from the guest welcome message (oh yeah, that'll get 'em to register.. ) - but a lot more improvements will come.
            Yes! I'm going to make it my goal to make sure that ATTWireless' support switches to vBulletin - I can't stand Lithium. But anyway, I am not signed up with CJ. Why wouldn't I? -- I wouldn't if someone didn't have any money to buy a license (which most people don't really have the time to deal with it) - but if they had the money, and they could be persuaded, I'd do it.
            An integrated CMS.
            The support and backing of the staff is the number one reason why I bought it - they won't leave you hanging for days - number two: the stability. I figured out that vBulletin was the best - I'd say it was about two years ago.
            Yeah, I've had a few questions that I passed along to the vB support staff.
            My own vB3 Grey Liquid Frontend Lookalike ACP style - because the vB3 grey style is my favorite style for vB (besides my custom style that Floris should be finishing on).
            I have a leased license, because I just wanted to get a vB license quickly and then switch to an owned license later.

Comment

• nirvanilla
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Floris

• yes, a bit. i dont think it makes me the shiznit or anything, but it IS the best forum software out there, and when i switched to VB from phpbb my members started posting a lot more
              • four so far. i installed one that emails me if someone tries to access the mod or admin panel (REALLY handy), i installed the quickedit mod cuz its just cool and saves time when you want to edit, installed a shoutbox mod cuz i t hink ppl like them, and i was proven correct, its used a lot by my members, and i installed a "roll the dice" hack that unfortunately didnt work :/ but you win some you lose some. so yeah my reasons are varied-some of the hacks were to please my members, and some were to make things easier for me as an admin
              • not sure i could pick one single feature for which is the best. i like the style system, its easy to modify once you get the hang of it. templates are pretty easy too. worst feature...honestly cant think of one.
              • nope, i bought mine with my own money
              • yes, my site is good, but then i had already had a messageboard for a year running on phpbb. we were hacked twice, and after the second hack, i decided to get VB as i heard it was much more secure. almost all of my members made the move with me, and as i said above, since ive had my new VB board, they post more than they did before
              • i definately will still have my current forum. another site powered by Vbulletin is a definate idea tho, if i could think of a subject that i was both interested in and that there werent many forums dedicated to..
              • Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow?started on version 3. i would upgrade to version 4 if it came out tomorow, yes, but i WOULD check it out first-i wouldnt just blindly upgrade, to make sure i liked it
              • Do you use vBulletin on your non-default-vbulletin pages? Like a portal, gallery or privacy page or whatever, and if so, which ones and why? Why not just use .html? no
              • How much time do you spend on your own vBulletin forum and how much time do you spend on a vBulletin forum that isn't yours? (as a member)haha do i really have to be honest here? i spend at least two hours a day on my own board, often more. i spend maybe an hour or more a day on other vb boards..this one for example, asking questions or reading tips from other users or just trying to learn more about it
              • Did you undergo steps to improve registration? To provoke guests to sign up and become members, besides the default features that vBulletin offer. If so, what did you do? no
              • Do you promote vBulletin to your friends? And if so, had any luck with it? Additionally, are you signed up on cj.com? Alternativly, why wouldn't you suggest vb to your friends? i have no idea what cj.com is. i do tell my friends that VB is the best software if they want to start a board, but none of them have started one so far. well one did but she doesnt have a lot of money so she opted for phpbb instead
              • What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow? A JOURNAL SYSTEM! there is one being developed over at vb.org that i've been waiting for for weeks and it looks awesome, really nice with lots of features. this is one area i feel the vb developers are missing the boat on-every vb forum i know of that had a journal, even a rinky dink one-the users loved it. i really think for VB4 it ought to be included with VB-and not just a simple one either. lots of features, make it look nice ect. if VB came out tomorrow and said they had a ::nice::, feature rich journal, i'd pay for it.
              • What made you pick vBulletin and how long did it take you to find the forum software that suited you best? the fact that it looks better, has more/better features and options, and is harder to hack (as in break into maliciously). as i said, i had phpbb for a year, but i always wanted a vb board.
              • by support do you mean the support forum? if so yes, i post in there all the timem
              • [color]changing the admin control panel style is something i've yet to do..i think i'll go do that when i'm done here [/color]
              • Do you have a owned or a leased license? If it is a leased license, why?leased, because it was all i could afford at the time-my 20,000 post forum had just been hacked into and deleted, and i wanted to get another forum up asap to show them they didnt break me or make me give up. i bought the leased license but i plan to get the owned one next year when its time to renew
              Thank you for your participation, remember: I ask them as a end-user, not as staff member :-) We are just curious. I will soon post my own answers too

you're very welcome

damn...sorry, ididnt realize the pink would be so light just highlight it to read it i clicked edit and was going to change the color but its formatted in the text box so i dont know how i'd do that

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Some very good replies there to the questions, we want more!
                Thank you all for taking the time

Comment

• Vega
                  • Mar 2004
                  • 3.5.x

Yes, I consider vBulletin as the best forum-software available. It's a warm, fuzzy feeling to know that I own a license.
                  A couple. Some for the ACP, and some to please my members. Arcade is one of the features my members like most.
                    The best is probably the Style-Manager. The worst, hm. There are some features I don't use, but that doesn't make them bad. I think it's the thing, that you can't delete multiple templates with one click.
                    I purchased one.
                    Right now it's pretty dead on my forums. But thats probably because most of my members are on holidays right now. But hey - It's still growing.
                    I don't know. My girlfriend isn't too happy about me hanging for so long in front of the computer, so I guess I won't start another community. But I'd still hang around on my current forums.
                    I started using vBulletin on my own with v3. But I admister a community which has v2.2.5.
                    I only use a gallery-script. 4images. I'd use Photopost, but that won't work without the SAFE Mode switched off. I don't like plain html - and you can have a vB-Look on the galleries, too.
                    Since my forum isn't the biggest, I spend most of the time on other forums.
                    Yes, I fixed it so they can't see certain areas without registering. And I have a Welcome-msg thingy to provoke 0-Posters to post.
                    I do, some don't like forums at all, others registered and participate on my forums. But... what's cj.com? Do I have to know that?
                    Maybe a fully integrated gallery-script.
                    I went over from wbb, which I used for a long time. But the support isn't the best. The software neither. It didn't do, what I wanted. I wanted the vB-Soft since I saw it the first time, but never had the 160$ on my hands to just go and buy it. A couple of weeks ago I did, so I just said to myself - Lets go get it!
                    Best support I've ever seen. Sure I use it!
                    A black one. Don't know the name of it.
                    One owned. I'll buy another one soon.

Comment

• filburt1
                    • Feb 2002

1. Not particurally...it's just a piece of software, not a belief.
                    2. None on my current setup; everything is done through template modifications to add features and make my site unique.
                    3. Best: template system; worst: reliance on client-side scripting
                    4. Initially I paid for a leased license; an owned upgrade and renewal fees are from donors
                    5. Quite successful
                    6. I have no plans to start more sites, only extend my current one, although that doesn't exclude the possible need for more licenses
                    7. 2; no, why should I?
                    8. Some simple custom pages (example: http://www.webdesignforums.net/about.php) use vB for the template engine, among other things. Other scripts I write such as vBMS use it out of necessity.
                    9. About half an hour each day on mine, excluding occasional adminstration duties; about an hour cumulative across other vB forums
                    10. Simplified the registration forum; made rules more explicit for registering
                    11. No; tried CJ but had a terrible experience
                    12. Developer documentation and possibly an official developer program
                    13. Experience with front-end, power (not price, for sure)
                    14. Yes but rarely
                    15. Silver; most readable
                    16. Owned
                    Originally posted by Floris
                    Here are a bunch of vBulletin questions that both me, my friends, members of my site and my staff have that made us curious about how everybody feels about certain things, or uses or not uses them and why .. anyway, please take a moment to answer a few?
                    1. Are you 'proud' to have a vBulletin license? If so, why? What makes you be proud about it?
                    2. How many source code modifications have you installed, why and on what grounds? To get more members, to improve the software or to please your current members?
                    3. What do you think is the best and the worst (less best) feature of vBulletin, why (constructive arguments please) and could they be improved?
                    4. No money? How did you get your vBulletin license? Parents paid for it? Purchased it secondhand, found a sponsor or did you even won it in a competition?
                    5. Would you consider your vBulletin powered site to be good? With that I mean do you have some activity on it or did it die out after a year?
                    6. Where do you see yourself as a vBulletin license holder in three years? Will you run more sites powered by vBulletin or maybe quit running forums at all?
                    7. Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow?
                    8. Do you use vBulletin on your non-default-vbulletin pages? Like a portal, gallery or privacy page or whatever, and if so, which ones and why? Why not just use .html?
                    9. How much time do you spend on your own vBulletin forum and how much time do you spend on a vBulletin forum that isn't yours? (as a member)
                    10. Did you undergo steps to improve registration? To provoke guests to sign up and become members, besides the default features that vBulletin offer. If so, what did you do?
                    11. Do you promote vBulletin to your friends? And if so, had any luck with it? Additionally, are you signed up on cj.com? Alternativly, why wouldn't you suggest vb to your friends?
                    12. What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow?
                    13. What made you pick vBulletin and how long did it take you to find the forum software that suited you best?
                    14. Do you ever use the vBulletin support? If not, why not?
                    15. What is your favorite vBulletin Admin Control Panel style? (and why)
                    16. Do you have a owned or a leased license? If it is a leased license, why?
                    Thank you for your participation, remember: I ask them as a end-user, not as staff member :-) We are just curious. I will soon post my own answers too
                    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                      • May 2003

Yes, I'm very proud that I can run vBulletin on my site, it shows professionalism. Also, I'm glad to be with a bunch of people like you.
                        I have loads of Source Code Mods installed, however, not to enhance so much as vBulletin, but to enhance myself as a PHP Coder.
                        Hmm... the best feature is probably the Drop-Down Menus, believe it or not. They just save so much space.
                        The worst feature? This is hard but the worst feature vBulletin has isn't really a feature, it's just the inability to use Search's in the templates in Firefox.
                        I was actually running a pirated version, and got threatened to be shut down, and a very nice person purchased a license for me.
                        No, my site is really inactive, however, I do not mind, I just keep on customizing and hope for members to show up.
                        I see myself still running my current site. But no more vBulletin's. I became a developer of MyBulletinBoard and I need to support my job. I'll never give up my vB though. I'm too attached. ^_^[/b]
                        I started off with vBulletin 2.2.6, and upgraded to the vB3 Beta to clean out the code, from all of the hacks I had installed.
                        I used to, however not so much anymore. I developed my own CMS to power my site.
                        25% of my online time is towards my site, 25% to the vB sister sites, and the rest of the time is devoted to work.
                        No, I look at it like this. If you want to join, go ahead, but if not, oh well. Members and Activity isn't really a big thing to me or my Staff.
                        No, and no.
                        CMS
                        I chose vBulletin because of the features, I enjoyed messing with all of the options. It took me about a year into the Forum Running Business to finally choose vB.
                        No, because I know how the Support Guys feel when people come to them with dumb questions.
                        vBulletin 3 Default, I dunno what it is about the Blue.
                        I've got an Owned license.
                      Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...