A bunch of vBulletin questions (because I am curious)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

A bunch of vBulletin questions (because I am curious)

Here are a bunch of vBulletin questions that both me, my friends, members of my site and my staff have that made us curious about how everybody feels about certain things, or uses or not uses them and why .. anyway, please take a moment to answer a few?
    • Are you 'proud' to have a vBulletin license? If so, why? What makes you be proud about it?
    • How many source code modifications have you installed, why and on what grounds? To get more members, to improve the software or to please your current members?
    • What do you think is the best and the worst (less best) feature of vBulletin, why (constructive arguments please) and could they be improved?
    • No money? How did you get your vBulletin license? Parents paid for it? Purchased it secondhand, found a sponsor or did you even won it in a competition?
    • Would you consider your vBulletin powered site to be good? With that I mean do you have some activity on it or did it die out after a year?
    • Where do you see yourself as a vBulletin license holder in three years? Will you run more sites powered by vBulletin or maybe quit running forums at all?
    • Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow?
    • Do you use vBulletin on your non-default-vbulletin pages? Like a portal, gallery or privacy page or whatever, and if so, which ones and why? Why not just use .html?
    • How much time do you spend on your own vBulletin forum and how much time do you spend on a vBulletin forum that isn't yours? (as a member)
    • Did you undergo steps to improve registration? To provoke guests to sign up and become members, besides the default features that vBulletin offer. If so, what did you do?
    • Do you promote vBulletin to your friends? And if so, had any luck with it? Additionally, are you signed up on cj.com? Alternativly, why wouldn't you suggest vb to your friends?
    • What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow?
    • What made you pick vBulletin and how long did it take you to find the forum software that suited you best?
    • Do you ever use the vBulletin support? If not, why not?
    • What is your favorite vBulletin Admin Control Panel style? (and why)
    • Do you have a owned or a leased license? If it is a leased license, why?
    Thank you for your participation, remember: I ask them as a end-user, not as staff member :-) We are just curious. I will soon post my own answers too
  • Andrew-ningc
    • Jan 2003

Don't mean to sound bad but anyone else feel Floris is the new IND?

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

• Are you 'proud' to have a vBulletin license? If so, why? What makes you be proud about it?
        Yes, because I consider it to be the leading and stable forum software, and it helped grow my site(s). Having a valid license gives me a fuzzy feeling.
      • How many source code modifications have you installed, why and on what grounds? To get more members, to improve the software or to please your current members?
        2. One to have additional vb pages that power the rest of my site to show up in the who's online correctly, and another one to track downloads of a specific forum and make unique builds each time the .zip gets downloaded. I installed them because they were not default features/options and I needed them I don't have a preference for source code modifications, I do everything through template modifications If possible.
      • What do you think is the best and the worst (less best) feature of vBulletin, why (constructive arguments please) and could they be improved?
        The best feature is probably the style manager because it is so flexible, powerful and helps you make your site unique. The worst feature is probably that it is limited to MySQL database It can be improved by supporting PostGre
      • No money? How did you get your vBulletin license? Parents paid for it? Purchased it secondhand, found a sponsor or did you even won it in a competition?
        I found a sponsor - and I won a license in a competition. And I purchased one.
      • Would you consider your vBulletin powered site to be good? With that I mean do you have some activity on it or did it die out after a year?
        Yes, it keeps growing, we have active members and google is as much active as our registered members.
      • Where do you see yourself as a vBulletin license holder in three years? Will you run more sites powered by vBulletin or maybe quit running forums at all?
        I wouldn't know, I'd probably won't start another community, too time consuming, but I would still be involved with vBulletin, I am sure.
      • Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow?
        My first installation was with 2.2.1 Whoo hoo. Yeah I would upgrade to any new release when released, it will fix bugs, known issues and improve performance and security.
      • Do you use vBulletin on your non-default-vbulletin pages? Like a portal, gallery or privacy page or whatever, and if so, which ones and why? Why not just use .html?
        It helps to have a consistent look. And you allow users to switch styles, without having to have multiple pages uploaded. Everythign can be controlled through the admin control panel and if you turn off your site, your whole site is turned off. It just has benefits. Pure .html is fine ofcourse, but a proper content management system to power your web site besides the forum, working together with the forum helps a lot. Keeps your site up to date, active, flexible and dynamic.
      • How much time do you spend on your own vBulletin forum and how much time do you spend on a vBulletin forum that isn't yours? (as a member)
        25% on my own site, 25% on vbulletin.com, 25% on other vb powered sites and 25% offline (sleep included). (out of a day)
      • Did you undergo steps to improve registration? To provoke guests to sign up and become members, besides the default features that vBulletin offer. If so, what did you do?
        We have made some changes to the usergroups to provoke them to participate. But I think we should do more and we haven't done that yet. But we get new members every day, so it doesn't have a priority yet.
      • Do you promote vBulletin to your friends? And if so, had any luck with it? Additionally, are you signed up on cj.com? Alternativly, why wouldn't you suggest vb to your friends?
        I do nothing but And yes I am.
      • What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow?
        Multiple Quote, for one. And a content management system.
      • What made you pick vBulletin and how long did it take you to find the forum software that suited you best?
        The rest just didn't do what I wanted, and vB does and they gave super quality in support and performance.
        From day one, and leared a great deal. Why wouldn't you use support, it is free, it is professional and all questions get answered.
        The one I made myself, because I like it
        Owned 3 of them! (though I had more, but I sold one to my friend)

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Andrew-ningc
        Don't mean to sound bad but anyone else feel Floris is the new IND?
        lmao
        I consider my replies productive and fitting their forum. They stay in the forum rules and uhm, I just have more time then you to post?

Comment

• DarknessDivine
          • May 2004
          • 3.7.x

Are you 'proud' to have a vBulletin license? If so, why? What makes you be proud about it? Yes, because it is a very professional piece of software.
          How many source code modifications have you installed, why and on what grounds? To get more members, to improve the software or to please your current members? I don't even know right now...I did most of them to add some functions that weren't in vB that I really needed.
          What do you think is the best and the worst (less best) feature of vBulletin, why (constructive arguments please) and could they be improved? Hmmmbest feature would be the spider friendly archive IMO worst feature or less used would be ummm the calender IMO.
          No money? How did you get your vBulletin license? Parents paid for it? Purchased it secondhand, found a sponsor or did you even won it in a competition? I bought mine...
          Would you consider your vBulletin powered site to be good? With that I mean do you have some activity on it or did it die out after a year? Well it's just now starting to gain memberships...I'm starting to get a few new ppl everyday..
          Where do you see yourself as a vBulletin license holder in three years? Will you run more sites powered by vBulletin or maybe quit running forums at all? In 3 years hopeully with more vBulletins to play with.
          Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow? From version 3
          Do you use vBulletin on your non-default-vbulletin pages? Like a portal, gallery or privacy page or whatever, and if so, which ones and why? Why not just use .html? Yes, I use vBAdvanced CMPS..and Ilove it...Why ot html? Because My front page is able to be constantly updated with ease. And it's cleaner and takes less time.
          How much time do you spend on your own vBulletin forum and how much time do you spend on a vBulletin forum that isn't yours? (as a member) I spend an estimated 5 hours or so a day on mine doing this or that.And about the same amount on others.
          Did you undergo steps to improve registration? To provoke guests to sign up and become members, besides the default features that vBulletin offer. If so, what did you do? Yes..I fixed it so they couldn't view certain popular area without registering.
          Do you promote vBulletin to your friends? And if so, had any luck with it? Additionally, are you signed up on cj.com? Alternativly, why wouldn't you suggest vb to your friends? Yes I do...not sure yet,And yes I am signed up as an affiliate.
          What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow? More styles,that are already included when downloaded, atleast 3 good choice styles should come with a vB purchase..IMO
          What made you pick vBulletin and how long did it take you to find the forum software that suited you best? It took me a few months to decide, I picked vB because in the end the features and price were unbeatable!
          Do you ever use the vBulletin support? If not, why not? nope, don't really need too all of my questions are usually answered here and quickly.
          What is your favorite vBulletin Admin Control Panel style? (and why) The silver frontend thing I think..lol
          Do you have a owned or a leased license? If it is a leased license, why? Leased but will be owned by this time next year..I originally leased because I wanted to make absolute sure it was the software for me...

Got a Boxer?
          BoxerTalk

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Wow, some nice answers there! Thank you

The calendar isn't the worst feature I think, just not used that much.

Comment

• MGM
              • Aug 2002
              • 3.6.x

I am proud of having one, because it makes me feel as if I've done something important on the net by starting a site that over 500 members visit. Sure it isn't a lot, but many of them have met new friends, had life changing events, and learnt many new things. I'm glad to be a part of that, even if I'm leading it.
              I have over 100 hacks installed on my site. I install what members want, and when something isn't being used I uninstall it. Most of my hacks are background hacks such as security, banning optiosn, mod features, etc. Stuff that make's being an admin a bit easier.
              Best: The admin cp... one of the best i've seen and every PHP product I've coded that requires an admin cp I usually make it look like vB3's.

Worst: I don't really think there's a "worst" feature... but the most underused I would have to say is the FAQ feature. It's a great feature but isn't as complex or feature rich as other parts of vB.
              I have a job, took out a couple hundred from my bank account and bought a license, domain, hosting, etc.
              My site is still under construction (and has been for a year ). I've been working on my own CMS, but I've found it a bit hard trying to integrate some aspects of vB into it. I dont want to use a portal or CMS unless it's official and has the features I want/need.
              I'm planning on creating a network of sites and forums, each one integrated with the other, but touching on different aspects of entertainment (gaming, movies, tv, music, etc.).
              I started with vB 2.3.0 and ugpraded to vB3.0.0 2 months back. If vB4 came out tomorrow, I would wait one month while I tested and tested and tested upgrading my board. I would also wait until more hacks and features were available (especially ones like the Store, Arcade, etc.)
              I do not use vBulletin on non-vB pages, but I do plan on integrating vB's user database with a CMS I am coding. I don't like plain .html files, which is why I always use .php or .aspx (still learning both)
              On mine I spend an average of 2-3 hours a day just posting and adding/fixing features. I also spend about 30 minutes each day checking out vbulletin.com and about 2 hours once a week to d/l the latest updates and hacks from vbulletin.org
              I removed all the extra features for signup and just left the username, password, and email fields. I also removed the Email check because a lot of people hate having to go to their email just to signup at a forum. It hasn't bothered me that much since I have no need to contact my members via email.
              I suggest vBulletin to anyone who has or is going to start a site. Most cannot afford it but those that can usually buy it.

I'm not sure what cj.com is
              Hmmm... full support for hacking, so that hacks dont mess with each other, slow down use of vB, or mess anything up. Also, a full featured CMS would be a great addition.
              I had been a member of a vBulletin forum for about 2 months and knew the system well. vBulletin appealed to me much more than any other forum software simply because of it's vast amount of features and customizibility.
              I haven't. I usually try to fix problems myself just to know if I can. I have asked questions once or twice but I don't think I've ever posted a thread on a vB problem. Also, vB is a nice piece of software and I usually have no problems with it unless they are my wrong doing (adding a hack, making a template edit, etc.)
              I use Silver, just because I've always liked the sleek and silvery look of a site.
              I have a owned license. I knew from the start that I wanted to make a site that lasts longer than a year

Nice questions Floris

MGM out

Comment

• DarknessDivine
                • May 2004
                • 3.7.x

The calendar isn't the worst feature I think, just not used that much.
                True that's what I meant...not worst just less used..

Got a Boxer?
                BoxerTalk

Comment

• vBrat
                  • Aug 2004

Are you 'proud' to have a vBulletin license? If so, why? What makes you be proud about it?
                  I am proud to have a vB license as i feel respected, This forum package is amazing, IPB and phpBB are nothing compared to vB. Im proud of owning the best forum package around.

How many source code modifications have you installed, why and on what grounds? To get more members, to improve the software or to please your current members?
                  I have installed a few things, I done it to impress the members so they were active, I made a arcade, Im in the process of doing the uShop&uCash hack now, I have also modifyed a few skins.

What do you think is the best and the worst (less best) feature of vBulletin, why (constructive arguments please) and could they be improved?
                  I think the calendar is useless

No money? How did you get your vBulletin license? Parents paid for it? Purchased it secondhand, found a sponsor or did you even won it in a competition?
                  My friend bought it as a donation, He bought the $85 license and he donated it to my site, The site then turned into a forum only domain

Would you consider your vBulletin powered site to be good? With that I mean do you have some activity on it or did it die out after a year?
                  I have only ever had vB once, We got the license on 1st of August 2004 i think

Where do you see yourself as a vBulletin license holder in three years? Will you run more sites powered by vBulletin or maybe quit running forums at all?
                  I will hopefully be opening a few more vBulletin forums this year, If all goes well with the paid memberships

Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow?
                  I have vBulletin 3.0.3, If vB 4 came out tomorrow I wouldnt upgrade straight away, I would wait for a few people to upgrade and give feedback, Read a few reviews etc.

Do you use vBulletin on your non-default-vbulletin pages? Like a portal, gallery or privacy page or whatever, and if so, which ones and why? Why not just use .html?
                  Nope, none and i dont know why, God ive only had my forum 3 days

How much time do you spend on your own vBulletin forum and how much time do you spend on a vBulletin forum that isn't yours? (as a member)
                  I am on my forum 5 hours a day and other forums total to about 10 hours a day.

Did you undergo steps to improve registration? To provoke guests to sign up and become members, besides the default features that vBulletin offer. If so, what did you do?
                  Not yet, Nope, Give me chance,

Do you promote vBulletin to your friends? And if so, had any luck with it? Additionally, are you signed up on cj.com? Alternativly, why wouldn't you suggest vb to your friends?
                  I have told a few friends to buy vbulletin, I love it, Whats cj.com?

What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow?
                  I would like the forum to come with a arcade, You have the power to turn it on or off, It would make my life much easier.

What made you pick vBulletin and how long did it take you to find the forum software that suited you best?
                  It didnt take me any time, vBulletin was bought for me as a gift off my friend.

Do you ever use the vBulletin support? If not, why not?
                  Yes i do, I have used it a few times, Floris is always there for me

What is your favorite vBulletin Admin Control Panel style? (and why)
                  I think its called vBulletin 2 silver? It lightens my cPanel up

Do you have a owned or a leased license? If it is a leased license, why?
                  Leased license, I dont know why, my friend bought me it as a gift...

Comment

• MrNase
                    • Jun 2003
                    • 3.8.x

• Sure, I own a copy of the best bulletin board around

• 3 or so I think. Most of them are installed to make my father's life as an admin easier.

• I like most of the features especially the templates conditionals are great.

• I got my first license for birthday and the second one was purchased by my community.

• Let's talk about that when my website celebrates it's 1 birthday

• My next community will be powered by vBulletin. Not from the beginning but Iam sure i'll switch to vBulletin.

• My first version was 2.* and i iam using version 3 since there were some good german translations. Sure, I would upgrade. I payed for that upgrade

• At the moment the first page is plain html but I plan to use the vBulletin templates and files.

• Way too much

• Not yet. We have a meeting with some new members next weekend. They gonna tell us what problems they had and we will fix them.

• Most of my friends already know 'vbulletin' so I don't need to promote it

• A good image gallery totally integrated

• After I went to vbulletin.com which had (at that time) the beta version of vB3 up I decided to get a vBulletin. I tried many other forum software but I like vB3 best

• I always use the support. They are all so kind (not to mention patient )

• Are there any different? I use the default one

• 1 owned and 1 leased I bought the leased one because I thought the community wouldn't survive a year
                    That's the end of that!

Comment

• Lenni
                      • Aug 2004
                      • 3.6.x

• Are you 'proud' to have a vBulletin license? If so, why? What makes you be proud about it? I think i will be! Because it is a high quality board and from what i noticed here in the support forums, everyones friendly. ^_^
                      • How many source code modifications have you installed, why and on what grounds? To get more members, to improve the software or to please your current members? Nothing yet. Still waiting for my license. ^_^
                      • What do you think is the best and the worst (less best) feature of vBulletin, why (constructive arguments please) and could they be improved? The Admin CP is definately the best! Dont know much about the other things though.
                      • No money? How did you get your vBulletin license? Parents paid for it? Purchased it secondhand, found a sponsor or did you even won it in a competition? I am paying it at the moment with my own money. An owned license!...
                      • Would you consider your vBulletin powered site to be good? With that I mean do you have some activity on it or did it die out after a year? Considering that not much will change i'd say yes...
                      • Where do you see yourself as a vBulletin license holder in three years? Will you run more sites powered by vBulletin or maybe quit running forums at all? Hopefully i can go on making some money with my google ads. ^_^ so the forum will stay.
                      • Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow? I think i will start with 3.0.3 if there is no security patch. ^_^
                      • Do you use vBulletin on your non-default-vbulletin pages? Like a portal, gallery or privacy page or whatever, and if so, which ones and why? Why not just use .html? I think i won't... But i dont know since i never ever saw a vBulletin-created website. I like html for static pages... haha. but not for dynamic ones.........
                      • How much time do you spend on your own vBulletin forum and how much time do you spend on a vBulletin forum that isn't yours? (as a member) i'll spend as much as i do now with my current forum system. ~4 hours a day. on others.... maybe 2 hours.
                      • Did you undergo steps to improve registration? To provoke guests to sign up and become members, besides the default features that vBulletin offer. If so, what did you do? I'll have a members only forum with special offers. ^_^ that will make em being active.
                      • Do you promote vBulletin to your friends? And if so, had any luck with it? Additionally, are you signed up on cj.com? Alternativly, why wouldn't you suggest vb to your friends? no,no
                      • What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow? Multi-Moderation like ipb has it. Multi Quote like ipb has it. thats it. ^_^
                      • What made you pick vBulletin and how long did it take you to find the forum software that suited you best? I took it because it fits my administrative needs... ^_^ its all well organized and well structured from what i heard. also, the support as i noticed is very friendly [very very friendly....] and helps a lot + fast and free! BIG PLUS! ^_^ there are also lots of nice skins at vbulletintemplates.com as far as i was able to see them...
                      • Do you ever use the vBulletin support? If not, why not? Yet, only in the pre-sales forums. ^_^
                      • What is your favorite vBulletin Admin Control Panel style? (and why) v.2 style. cute plain.
                      • Do you have a owned or a leased license? If it is a leased license, why? I'll have an owned one. ^_^
                      selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Thank you all so far for replying, I am hoping to see more people participate!

Comment

• vBrat
                          • Aug 2004

Took me ages, I didn't know what to put as just buying vB 3 day's ago

Comment

• MrNase
                            • Jun 2003
                            • 3.8.x

omg I broke it.. Wrote that post with OpenOffice which didn't seem to work as expected
                            That's the end of that!

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Floris
                              Here are a bunch of vBulletin questions that both me, my friends, members of my site and my staff have that made us curious about how everybody feels about certain things, or uses or not uses them and why .. anyway, please take a moment to answer a few?
                                Absolutely. It gives the site credibility and people take us more seriously.

About 30 altogether, some large, some small. mainly to get the look and feel that the site always had before vB, some to add more functionality, and some just because we *can*!

• What do you think is the best and the worst (less best) feature of vBulletin, why (constructive arguments please) and could they be improved?The best is simply that everything works cleany, nothing does half the job. For example, on XMB, deleting a post doesn't alter the last post info. Little things like that. Worst? Access masks. Every time I've tried to use them, something stupid happens, like veryone can get in the private mods forum. Happened so often I don't use them any more because there are so many variables to check it's safest not to bother.

• No money? How did you get your vBulletin license? Parents paid for it? Purchased it secondhand, found a sponsor or did you even won it in a competition?Paid for my own, but we get occasional member donations. Very occasional because we don't push it. It's a free site and always will be.

been going over two and a half years and gets busier all the time.

• Where do you see yourself as a vBulletin license holder in three years? Will you run more sites powered by vBulletin or maybe quit running forums at all?I will not open any more forums...I barely have time to run the one I have, as I work as well. But i still intend to have a vB licence, running the same site as now...only bigger still!

• Did you start using vBulletin from version 1, 2 or 3? And would you upgrade to version 4 if it would be released tomorrow?Briefly went from XMB to vB 2.3.4, but was already familiar with it from previously being a mod on Tiscali UK's forums which STILL run 2.2.6! mainly went to 2.3.4 first because 3.0.0 was still not finalised, and also the XMB import could only be done to 2.x.x. Intended to stay on 2.3.4 for longer but the customising of 3.0.0 took less time than expected and we upgraded again within a month.

We do have a cut down portal but it's not the main site page. It serves as a 'community' page to enter the forums and chatroom, but to be honest no one uses it, it just looks good. I am not convinced by portals, whenever I see one I just think 'for gods sake show me the forum', I think they look clumsy. But that's clearly not a popular view. They are ok when used as the site's front page, but too many sites use them as the FORUM homepage which is just one click too many.

Far too long on mine, it takes over your life. I spend small amounts of time on cableforum.co.uk which runs vB, and also v3arcade, but nothing else of note. No time.

No. All those daft nag screens and warning messages wind people up. leave them to their own devices, if the site's good enough they will register.

Friends?

• What feature does vBulletin miss at this time that you would be willing to pay good money for to include as a future feature or even as a downloadable patch file tomorrow?Multiquote would be nice, but I don't know if I'd pay for it.

Always wanted vB but couldn't initially commit the money as I had no idea the site would work, it was never even intended to, it was an accident. By the time I realised I needed it we had skinned XMB to look a bit like vB 2 and I was daunted by the upgrade process. Eventually learned enough about how forums work to take the plunge.

I've posted a few questions in the forum but never used the official ticket system. I know most things I need to know, or can find the answers on the forum, plus my board is modified and I'd have to revert stuff.

The default one. Just looks nice.

• Do you have a owned or a leased license? If it is a leased license, why?Leased, suits my budget and circumstances at present, though I will always renew it.
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------
                              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...